ALPHA ROLLOUT STATUS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, June 1, 2013.

1. NortySpock

NortySpock Member

Well, I guess that means I'll have to do the graphics card upgrade I've been putting off.

Also, don't worry about pushing it back neutrino; stuff always breaks the first time you try to ship (but you knew that already).
  2. hunterx

hunterx New Member

Reminds me of the early days of the Achron alpha, where the game was borderline unplayable on my PC for a few months of pre-release builds (and from what I gather, it had taken them roughly a decade to get it playable whatsoever on mainstream computers even before that).

Still thoroughly enjoyed it regardless :D
  3. soldans

soldans Member

I just ordered a new computer screen. :D

When can we expect multiple monitor support? :cool:
  4. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Hopefully when Alpha released some people can post frame rate bench marks with a few systems so we can witness the improvement or something like that.
  5. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

My machine's kinda mid-range, really- I've got an i7 930, GTX 560, 6GB RAM. I don't expect the highest settings (although PA's art style is hardly super realistic) but mid-settings would be nice.

Of course, "high settings" -> "low settings" for Alpha.

When I was playing FA, I had a machine that was four years old at the time and a crappy single core. 5FPS at the start of the game, about 0.1 or so in battles. Didn't stop me playing the game.
  6. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

I have C2D e6600 9600gt and 8gb ddr2 :)
    and mac mini with i5 and radeon gpu.

Playing on this will be... Interesting. Well... Maybe on low settings. I think :|
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I really wonder what kind of computer is needed. Hopefully my Radeon 7850/i5 3550 will be enough.

I am too lazy to link it, but according to neutrino, multiscreen is not supported for now.
  8. joey1430

joey1430 New Member

Don't know what ISP your with, im in the UK and get a 120meg connection

Cannot wait for the alpha! Keep up the good work!
  9. soldans

soldans Member

Yeah I know that it's not supported atm, that's why I asked when it will be available. :roll:.
    I suspect that multiple monitors will take some time to make stable, but sometime during the alpha we should get it?
    Long for that day, so that I can make the game crash hard on three screens at once. :twisted:

Anyway, I have wanted a new screen for a while now, the new one has a tilt function and better resolution/contrast/color/everything than my 5 year old screens.
  10. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

It's definietly not a priority. I'd guess that it'll be done "by the way" of doing other stuff, later in the development (along with other fancy stuff, like for example advanced graphic settings)
  11. xmodx

xmodx New Member

I assume that with the alpha we wont be able to do single player and if that is the case we will only be able to play on Uber's servers. The question I have is will Uber have enough servers/resources setup to deal with a possible large influx of players initially, especially when it hits Steam. The way that some people may take it is that bugs and glitches are to be expected but not being able to even attempt to play the alpha due to lack of resources(Servers) on Uber's side is a separate issue that I could only imagine some people wouldn't be happy about after paying $90.

I only bring this up because a lot of games in the past have had this issue and its caused a bit of an upset, although it has not been with an alpha release version as is this case.

Also if you start having to setup lots of servers to handle the initial amount of players for alpha it may be more cost effective to not restrict the game to Uber's server and release the Server Client be it buggy or not.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I wonder what kind of server those are and how that is gonna work. They will need a lot of server to satisfy possibly thousands of players at peaktimes. Are there any server-hosting services that are that flexible and suitable for PA? I have no idea ...
  13. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Server capacity is something that we've been discussing internally. We've been trying to estimate it and we'll be spinning up servers based on how it goes.

My current expectation is a mass influx of people trying it out early which then levels out to a more reasonable number later. Technically we can start up a new server in about 5 minutes and we always keep more on deck as we get to capacity. This is the load balancing system that has been in use for a while now for our other games. So we have a certain number of dedicated servers and then we can spin up instances on demand for peaks like launch.

It might be possible under extreme load to run out of servers if we think that we need to run too many. If this becomes any kind of real issue we always have the option of releasing the server code earlier than expected. There may be other options for getting more servers up as well.
  14. devd

devd New Member

It's never easy to satisfy the peak demand of any service. We have seen that lately for several games. So if Uber pulls it off, kudos to them, if not, well..I won't be mad at all.

Can we get any official number on how many we can expect to see participate in the Alpha?
    I know we have ~8000 from the Kickstarter, but how many have preordered the Alpha since then?
  15. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

Any word on the linux client?
  16. benja

benja New Member

Sounds great! :D
    Will we be able to do single player initially or will enemy ai come in at a later build?
    Also when will you guys do that physics livestream?
  17. mcmookerson

mcmookerson New Member

Due to mandatory scheduled maintenance, the Alpha test is currently unavailable. It has been replaced with a live-fire course designed for military androids. Good luck.
  18. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Amazing how fast this came out, I am literally just finishing a season of CG television and began backing this project about the time we started ours. You guys are fantastic.
    I hope everybody is super cooperative and understanding during this process.
    Releasing games in Alpha would have been considered a terrible idea 10 years ago and now its hard to trust games that don't these days.
    I feel like when games come out like this and we are slowly fed updates that it makes each update and feature addon so heavily appreciated.

Happy testing folks!

Let the Annihilation begin!
  19. Daddie

Daddie Member

Well.. I guess there are enough people who only want to play against an AI with a friend or alone. I believe the AI is not included with the first Alpha so some of us will not start playing right away. Maybe only starting the game just to see how it looks and feels.

It might be an idea to release some sort of cripled server exe which only can be used to play against an AI. This will reduce the load of the central servers.
  20. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

FTFY.