ALPHA ROLLOUT STATUS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, June 1, 2013.

1. ploptops

ploptops New Member

did anyone else chuckle at that part?
  2. Cyberboss

Cyberboss New Member

I got a dirt cheap 1440p IPS at 9ms which clocks up to 75Hz, no dead pixels for $400

EDIT: I lied, its 6.5ms :D
    treated me great since I got it. http://www.microcenter.com/product/3847 ... ED_Monitor
    Last edited: June 5, 2013
  3. JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar Member

But 120 hz screens are in no way a gimmick or "****". There is really a night and day difference between 60 hz and 120 hz screens when looking at fast moving objects, or when turning in a video game. My 27" LED is 60 hz and I really wish I would have got 120 hz instead. Such a huge difference to me.
  4. rimizak

rimizak Member

thanks so much for that, it really made me feel more assured. well, I know i'll have a stable build at some point. so that's good...now the question is when will it come? oh, and I've been meaning to ask this, are people going to make their keys steam or uber?
  5. khazar1

khazar1 Member

I know, am very aware of that, own myself a 120Hz 3D monitor, BUT TN sucks. Nuff said. :lol:
    Monitor technology has soooo much stagnated the last few years it is just horrible. We finally need the good panels with the big Hz numbers.
  6. JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar Member

Uber at first because I have never used their service before. Interested to see how it works. I am 90% sure I will transfer it over to Steam though since at this point I pretty much have a universal library there.
    What is "TN"?
  7. garibaldi5

garibaldi5 New Member

8. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

not really, it's just the screen draw rate so if the game is only running ~60 fps - 80 fps then 120 is moot because the screen is drawing faster than the game is pushing frames, and the other way you can get tearing where the game pushes frames faster than the display draws,

the dell is a very high quality IPS panel , and a high pixel density that's why it has that cost the other one is igzo wish is just a transistor tech for the actual LCD the IPS / PLS / TN are arrangements of those transistors, so the IGZO is likely and IPS layout of IGZO components although i don't know :)
  9. Cyberboss

Cyberboss New Member

Definitely steam, its too easy for me not to use it
  10. fellowplanet

fellowplanet New Member

Looks great, but what is if the device will be broken tomorrow?
    Will you get a new device in the next 24/48 hours?

The DELL devices seems to be more for business.

And please don't say "this is better or this is better than ..", because you can't say this if you never checked every technical differents of the panel, device itself, ports, ..

This is the wrong forum topic for this questions.

I just said that I have good experience with the support of DELL (new devices on the next 48 hours with DHL Express), but there could also be better companies or devices on the world.

Important for everyone: IPS-Panels are really different! Only TN-Panels will do 120 Hz! (Yes...yes... there are some overclocked IPS panels ..)
  11. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So if people want specifics:
    - currently our draw calls make high end cards CPU bound in some cases due to draw call counts and lack of optimization in that code (being worked on)
    - our UI system has a seriously large texture copy that slows down higher resolutions significantly. This is trickier to fix but will get better through some upcoming changes.

Those two issues aren't the only things that will be improved but they are major bottlenecks at the moment.

The cool thing is with alpha keys going out we can start getting way more specific about issues like this. Welcome to the new era.
  12. Nelec

Nelec Member

Looking at the laptop I think you will be A ok dude. I wouldn't worry about it tbh.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Might be AMD OpenGL drivers aren't perfect but they 6x times better than Intel's OpenGL drivers. :mrgreen:

I don't think there will be any Crossfire/SLI support in alpha of PA. It's won't work automatically anyway, so game will only use discrete GPU on notebooks.
  14. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

neutrino does that mean you got it stable and they ARE going out not WILL BE going out :O

\o/
  15. khazar1

khazar1 Member

As far as I know it is VA, so the right between TN and IPS.
  16. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

I'm learning a lot about displays right now...
  17. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

If this alpha is anything like HoN's (the last major game I helped out with) then it will be compiled with the debug info, making it slower
  18. JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar Member

Boy it must be nice if you can get a full replacement of your monitor within 48 hours of it breaking. Where I live that would be impossible. I do not live in a big city.

Also what is HoN?
  19. Cyberboss

Cyberboss New Member

IDK about the warranty, I just took the three year from microcenter
  20. mcodl

mcodl Member

Well ladies and gentlemen who are in GMT- time zones (or those in GMT+ not going to sleep today): have fun :) .