ALPHA ROLLOUT STATUS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, June 1, 2013.

1. sab0t

sab0t Member

sploiting scum BAN THIS FILTH!
  2. DarkraiOfDoom

DarkraiOfDoom New Member

so, it's 3am now, no alpha! off to sleep! *faceplants keyboard*
  3. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

I remember when the SMNC forums were this lively back when we had regular updates. Good times, man, good times.
  4. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

*swoon*

If your posts has a LIKE button I imagine they would be so worn out right now ;)
  5. JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar Member

Man I am so ready to see Neutrino saying the first wave of keys has been emailed.
  6. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

It's likely that a select group of trusted individuals already have it and have been told not to say anything.
  7. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

*slowly pulls out foil hat from Sims pocket*

:?
  8. teradyn

teradyn Member

Doubtful, the issues Neutrino and Garat have described are completely consistent with a cascading dependency build failure. Given the transparency they have shown to date, I don't believe that they would perpetrate a lie like you insinuate either. If they say that the build is having issues and they aren't able to release the alpha client yet, that is what I believe is happening.
  9. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

I've got 256 games on steam.I'm playing none of them.Why? I just can't be asked....I just want the alpha to arrive as soon as possible.I don't want to play anything else other than the alpha atm. :D
  10. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

I've got 99 games but the PA alpha ain't one.
  11. mcmookerson

mcmookerson New Member

Huh. I just realized that I lucked out and have Fri-Sat off this week. (This may not mean as much to those of you who don't work a job with a 24/7/365 availability, but dangit it makes me happy when things work out like this)

So, no matter if we get our Alpha access much before or at roughly the same time as the genpop through Steam Early Access... I will have time to put into it. This makes me happy. :D
  12. Ertwyu

Ertwyu New Member

I'm wondering if they should set up a torrent for it? Also is the uber client out already, which I can install now while I'm waiting?
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Considering the amount of servers needed for the back end of PA my guess is that they have ways of distributing the file quickly without any p2p.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What happens at that time?
  15. JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar Member

It is still only 11:17 here on the pacific coast of America. Uber employees still have a long day ahead of them, and we have a huge window of opportunity to get an alpha client. You may get an invite in thirty minutes or six hours from now.
  16. mcmookerson

mcmookerson New Member

Aye, relax a bit, folks. Uber is hard at work, and we'll get it when we get it. The more time they have to spend on here responding to the "WHERE THE HECK IS MY ALPHA KEY" posts, the later that will be. Enjoy the ride, grab a cup of coffee, and be prepared to sort through the bugs when we DO get it. No need to go into an Alpha pre-stressed. ;)
  17. JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar Member

To download and 'play' test the alpha it should be required that you provide feedback and track any and all bugs you encounter. Remember alphas are not meant to for entertainment or playing, but rather rigorous testing and improvements. Play hard and disciplined.

Before you download the alpha be sure to get a pen and notepad out, or just a text document ready for bug tracking.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt there is lot of physical (dedicated of collocation) servers Uber own, I bet they use Amazon EC2 or other cloud service. It's cheaper because you only need to pay for used resources and may add/remove as much instances as you want, in minutes.

But I don't think alpha client will be really big. I got my own repacked supcom client which only need 6GB of space (and 3.5GB it's packed maps). SupCom FA only require 1.4GB of core-gameplay resources (gamedata folder) and part of sounds.

Based on this I bet that PA will need less than 2GB on HDD. But bandwidth aren't free, so I like idea about using P2P. Anyway there is no piracy problems for client-server game.
  19. crseth

crseth Member

If I dont see anthying pa related released today I just might cry :cry:
  20. bacdemon

bacdemon New Member

4 uberent employees(red peoples) are on at the same time! This is clearly a sign. Prepare your modems people, the day of reckoning is upon us!

But no seriously, whip out some notepads and pencils, we gonna get busy with the bug-finding.

Edit: now only 3... ಠ_ಠ dang teases.
    Last edited: June 5, 2013