ALPHA ROLLOUT STATUS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, June 1, 2013.

1. deso88

deso88 Member

What does "really fast machine" and "good frame rate" mean to you?
  2. gsurus

gsurus New Member

I think I may be able to get a good frame-rate. But I don't know. I have a high end machine.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Ballpark figure on the download size?
  4. devd

devd New Member

I guess any Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU would do, or the AMD equivalent.
    and Mid/High-end GTX 400/500/600/700 GFX, or the ATI/AMD equivalent.
  5. gsurus

gsurus New Member

Yeah, I should meet the requirements then, if that's the case :D
  6. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Wait a tick...

That means the Alpha is only available online?!
  7. wemlock

wemlock Member

Looking forward to Alpha.
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

That's how I interpret it.
  9. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Brandon, we've said repeatedly that alpha and beta will, for the most part, be online only. This is a necessity for a bunch of reasons, some practical, some technical. We will not be distributing the server for a while yet.
  10. brandonpotter

............ Great, I bought into the Alpha and beta, and cant even participate in it thanks to my crappy net...

Well, least my cash went in for a good cause.
  11. lynxnz

lynxnz Member

this is awesome news :)

it begins
  12. garat

Define crappy? At first, anything under a 2 to 4 mbps connection might not be great, but fairly quickly, we expect to get pretty decent connections with a lower connection than that. We don't expect a 10 or 20 mbps to play the alpha or beta (At least, not once we've whacked all the kinks out of the system).

Give it a shot when it comes out. While your initial experience may not be ideal, it will hopefully only get better from there. Initially we'll have Europe and US servers, and we expect to have at least a few APAC servers, but keep in mind, ping is not going to have as big an impact as if it was a syncronous networking model.
  13. brandonpotter

I have DSL >-< And the worst kind to. My downloads speed reach about 200 KB/s, and since its DSL, the Upload rate is pretty much not there XD

Oh well, least with the Alpha Ill have access to Models, Textures, and Animations :3

Theres always a plus side to things right?
  14. garat

Like I said, give it a shot when it comes out. That's a pretty rough connection, though not HORRIBLE (as long as you really meant KB not Kb - byte not bit). Right out the door it'll probably be a bit bandwidth limited for you, but I'd expect we'll get that lowered fairly quickly as we get to spend more time optimizing and improving the network traffic.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

200KB/s (if you mean that) it's around 1.6 mbps. Your upload isn't important at all for client-server game.
    I think your connection might be okay as long you don't use some 3G/EDGE internet.
  16. brandonpotter

Works for me :3 I might be able to do 1vs1 matches on small planets and stuff. :3

But as long as the Alpha will have files for commanders, units, textures, and animations, Ill be a happy camper :3
  17. garat

Not sure how it couldn't.... magic maybe. :) Hopefully you'll still find plenty to do, as I know you are one of the Mr. Mod crowd!
  18. brandonpotter

If the files are there, you can bet your butt Ill have fun :3

Might be nice to actually have my Omega Commander working ingame even during the Alpha XD
  19. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

BRING IT! All of my tools and crashing analysis thingies are ready to rumble! I'm thinking of using Mantis in honor of the infamous Cybran unit in SupCom.

Perhaps the best idea would be to record the monitor screen instead of the .exe since it will be unstable as fawk.

I never actually tried to record and analyze at the same time before, should be interesting to see how it works out.
  20. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Ready for bug squashing!