Alpha/Beta Streaming LP'ing

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by syox, January 13, 2013.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

"some kind of forums" contains "another separate forum just for the alpha"
    Does it not?!
  2. darktom77

darktom77 New Member

Sorry cola, I was replying to the other guy who posted "this is it". The way he's worded it makes it sound like he's saying this is the alpha forum, not sure if that is what he meant though.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Ignoring the legal "issues" the fact remains that NDA's should be expected, particularly for Alpha(for Beta well, it really depends), for the exact same reasons Uber has already talked about and why we now have this shiny Backer Lounge.

Mike
  4. extrodity

extrodity New Member

Garatnw's post here, suggests that there will not be NDAs, but is by no means definite.

And while NDAs are fairly standard with alpha/beta access, I hardly think it is something that can be called 'common sense'.

We'll find out when the alpha starts either way. Personally, I think gameplay footage is going to be allowed, and anything they REALLY do not want leaked could simply be omitted until they are happy for it to be known.
  5. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

The post in question was about NDA's for this Backers forum unless im mistaken, not NDA's in alpha/beta.
  6. kamov23

kamov23 New Member

A simple way to implement NDA's for the alpha would be to have a TOS while installing the game, or a TOS before each play session. Sort of like a "click here to agree and continue onto the Alpha" type of deal.

I'm no lawyer by any means, but it just seems like the easiest way to do it.
  7. NortySpock

NortySpock Member

Very few people read those, though. I occasionally skim them, but "In addition, USER agrees not to disclose..." somewhere around line 1200 is probably going to be missed.

So if there is an NDA, it better be up front in BOLD.

Of course I would prefer not having an NDA, and maybe some explicit wording about how much I can post online or show to my friends.
  8. timp13

timp13 Member

I will be doing a Alpha/Beta lp :)
  9. vidroth

vidroth New Member

What would be the benefit to locking alpha streaming behind an NDA?

Game streaming is free advertising.

NDA would prevent all those other RTS devs from stealing... what?

If Uber asks us not to stream alpha, I'll honor the request, but I won't understand it. Otherwise I'm streaming this puppy, and I'll be sure to tell all 6 viewers where to go preorder. :)
  10. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

A alpha/beta is not a finished product, showing alpha/beta content to the public can result in a lower number of sales when the game is released.

Not all advertisment is good advertisment when your trying to sell something.
  11. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Why the impatience? Just wait a couple of months until the beta comes and posting videos is permitted, then go wild.
  12. RCIX

RCIX Member

I would imagine unlisted videos would be fine to put up, given that you only share the link here. Dunno if such a concept exists for streams.
  13. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

to reduce possible damage.
  14. narbays

narbays New Member

Ultimately the NDA benefits the game. When someone breaks the NDA and starts posting, it benefits no one. It's not like showing the world some bug ridden alpha content is going to garner you a hero's medal or something. I have been beta testing games since the last 1990s and from my experience with several developers... They will lift the NDA as soon as possible for their own benefit. As soon as the game becomes stable and most of the bugs are kinked out then developers lift the NDA and allow people to start sharing media because it helps them with advertising.

I'm a live streamer myself with several million people on my youtube channel alone. I'm going to spend my alpha time actually doing my job so they can fix the bugs, lift the NDA, and allow me to make my money on youtube.