Air Stacking and Environmental Effects Questions Acknowledged :)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, February 28, 2014.

1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

I spent some time on paint in that balancing thread responding to the problems you pointed out in the last of those (I don't know jack about flow fields so I won't presume to talk about the other points :p).
    In short, they wouldn't all attack the same target at once. They would circle it, stacked up by altitude, attack anything else nearby and waiting for a clear run on the target, at which point they would peel off from the circling group and bomb. If done well I'd envisage a circle of bombers with a constant line of bombers curving out, bombing the target and rejoining the circle/area attacking as they wait. But it'd be complicated as hell to code I imagine.
    Last edited: March 1, 2014
  2. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Thanks for the answer, Scathis.

Perhaps you can tell us a little more.

I can see that formations work fairly well for Land Units, which also have to avoid obstacles.

In fact, at some point in the previous patches, Air Units started to arrange in formation. At least, Air Fighters did. And it was very nice to see.

A thing that we all would like to see (I bet) is fixed winged Air Units not slowing down that much time to time, and instead looking more like air planes, which means keeping a more constant speed.

I'm sure you guys are working on what is possible. But could you tell us a bit more about why is hard to achieve those two aspects for Air Units?
    vyolin likes this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It's in brian's summary.
  4. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Thank you :) I did read it. But that was very specific - unit destroying environmental effects, as opposed to ones which just change unit behaviour based upon their environment. Though both could be implemented to increase tactical options and depth, the former is actively disruptive, and a lot of extra work, whilst the latter would simply be a case of "if this unit is in this biome, this stat needs to change".
    vyolin likes this.