Air collisions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by izob, April 27, 2013.

1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

HUEG DEEPS flak gunnery kills all aircraft.

Ironic bombing kills bombers.

If the game needs a tweak that only kills bombers, friendly fire(or return fire) is a good place to go.

This isn't necessarily true. If the bombers are spreading out, it could very well be a choice to wipe out every single AA gun first. Since bombers tend to deal big front loaded damage, the numbers are in their favor.

And then you lose horribly, because the 2/3 of things in your army without "AA" in their name can't shoot up. :?
  2. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I think you are missing my point. The situations when bombers would actually hit each other means that you are simply doing something wrong.
    If you spread out your bombers then they wont hit eachother and will take less damage from inaccurate AA or splash AA.
    If there are no AA it doesn't matter if you blob up your bombers or not because there isn't the same time pressure to deal damage as fast and upfront as you can.
  3. veta

veta Active Member

Air collision should be a purely aesthetic question, it should have no bearing on how you play the game.
  4. godde

godde Well-Known Member

If air collisions should appeal to my taste they should crash and burn when they collide. How do you accomplish that without affecting the gameplay?
  5. veta

veta Active Member

You'd have to make air units very smart as to not collide, my point is we should not sacrifice gameplay for minimal aesthetic.
  6. Moranic

Moranic Member

Air collision is something that makes me dislike air battles. I like the flocking algorithm Twan de Graaf posted, it looks really neat! In combat, something like this can work as well.

Also, @mike, I just noticed your reply to me. Reread everything. You are saying air collision is a compromise. The problem IS air collision! You can't use the problem itself to compromise it. For example:
    A dog takes a dump on your doorstep.
    You tell the owner to make sure the dog doesn't dump his load on your doorstep.
    The owner tells you that's a hard thing to do, and says: "Let's make a deal: My dog will continue to lay down his poo on your doorstep and you won't complain. Deal?" That's ridiculous.
    And that's what you are saying.

Anyways, I think Uber can use the flocking algorithm or some other method that can at least help eleviate the amount of air collision. Supcom had ridiculous amounts of that. Air battles were like flying glowing metal pizzas.
  7. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Air units in SupCom collided with each other?
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'd thought by now I've explained myself enough times to have my position be understood, apparently not.

Mike
  9. veta

veta Active Member

Yeah air units collided in supcom.
  10. godde

godde Well-Known Member

What? When? How?
  11. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

At this point its not your fault anymore. You explained it as well as its possible and I'd argue that its refusal from their side to even want to understand what you're saying. :|
  12. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I think they will improve movement and pathfinding further then current state. (less air collisions)
  13. godde

godde Well-Known Member

What air collisions?
    When did airplanes in SupCom ever collide with eachother?
    What is supposed to have happened when they collided in SupCom? Instant death???
  14. veta

veta Active Member

they mean that their models clip

when air units clip into each other apparently it's a huge deal

nobody means actual planes colliding and kamikazing other units, i don't think (although that would be neat)
  15. godde

godde Well-Known Member

That's what I mean when I say collision. Not that the models clip through eachother. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision
    If you dont have any collision_detection the units don't collide. They just pass through each other.
    Now lets all agree to separate those terms.
    Collision is when 2 airplanes hitvolumes touch eachother and they bounce, slide or crash because of that.
    Clipping is when the models of the 2 airplanes intersect without bouncing, taking damage or sliding.
  16. veta

veta Active Member

The OP was talking about clipping, hence the consistently used misnomer.
  17. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Now I'm not sure how Mike and bmb has used the term "collision" since both supremevoid and moranic were actually talking about clipping. :p
  18. Causeless

Causeless Member

Who says there needs to be both high and low tech fighters?
  19. veta

veta Active Member

x)

having interceptors and fighters is more interesting, no? interceptors being fast and direct fire while fighters are slower and more agile and possibly splash.
  20. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Cut this out. The idea that agility will work on anything more than 2 fighters is a failed premise from the get go.