Adjacency bonuses, Build templates

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by yxalitis, November 1, 2012.

1. coreta

coreta Member

Yeah in Forged Alliance, you don't have to surround your mex with storages neither to upgrade your mexs. And you never rush the monkey lord :p
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It might still have AB and upgrading mexes, but the fact remains that the game is much much more dynnamic than the Original SupCom as you need to cap Mass Spots in order to grow your economy in a meaningful way, you can't just cap off your starting 6 Mexes and turtle like you could in Vanilla SupCom.

Frankly, you could ripe out AB and FA would still function on the basis of more territory = more economy.

Mike
  3. Acheaopterix

Acheaopterix New Member

would it be incredibly difficult to have both adjacency bonuses, and not have them? couldnt it be made a game option whether adjacency bonuses are in effect or not in a particular match?
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Given the game's heavily restricted budget, it is safer to assume that all "maybe, kinda, sorta" features default to "no". If something doesn't add to the game, then it's indirectly taking away from a better feature.

Also, this:
    Perhaps you might find a way to make adjacency exciting and sexy? As it stands, the adjacency seen in Supcom was fairly dull.
  5. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

I also love base building and making my base work a certain way because of the layout, AB tend to mess that up and can ruin games if you don't do it right from the get go.
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I did ask this of Uber once before, but I'll ask it again;

• Could you possibly put in a code hook for structures to be told when they are next to each other?
  7. airsize

airsize New Member

IMO, we are all commanders of galaxies in PA.
    Why should I bother how many grids a building takes, or does it contacts with others?
    Such micromanagement should not trouble a commander of galaxies.
    The galactic commander should focus on the bigger strategies, 「can I ambush enemy on that planet?」, 「which planet should I establish a new frontline base?」, 「should I send reinforcement to that sector?」, not on those tiny things.
    AB seems like makes players shift the focus from the big picture to miscellaneous things.
    I admit base planing is interesting, but there is a lot of more important things to do in the frontline, especially now the battle field is GALAXIES.
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. whip

whip New Member

Check attached file. I'm just wondering what that is :D

Walls?

Attached Files:

• ad.PNG
      ad.PNG
      File size:
      452 KB
      Views:
  9. adecoy95

adecoy95 Member

thank you for not adding this.
  10. KNight

Whip, that's image is supposed to be Backer only!

Mike
  11. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The walls in that shot are simply artistic thoughts. No plans to do anything with adjacent buildings at the current time.
  12. NortySpock

NortySpock Member

It was released to the public on Kickstarter update and Facebook a few hours ago. He's probably good.
  13. KNight

Whups, I though they were just links to the Backer threads, my bad.

Mike
  14. volken2050

volken2050 New Member

I know neutrino has said there will be no adjacency bonuses. Also I agree that the FA adjacency bonuses were a little lacking.

I was thinking how adjacency bonuses could be ramped up and came up with some ideas.

Have options. In FA you could surround your Mexes with mass storage for bonus output or generators for lower energy usage. Most people I think went for the bonus mass output. I think there should be more options like this for all buildings.

An example, you can surround your factory with generators for lower energy usage, or you can build two factories directly next to each other for a better build rate. Another added benefit could be having exponential bonuses for having multiple things in line. Four factories in line gets you a 16 times faster build rate from the one at the end. This could also be adjusted for balancing purposes for instance each factory increases build rate by 10% so 10 in line makes the end one have a 100 % efficiency. To balance this the factories that are faster take up more resources.

“But this limits base creativeness.” Not necessarily, building your factories in straight lines makes them rather open for a carpet bomb. Also if you have enough space to link 10 factories together…DAMN! It’s all about trade-offs. If you link 10 factories together you will be using up tons more energy than if you had generators built around them. Since there is only one race in this game there should be tons of possible strategies.

Adding adjacency bonuses like the example above would open up a lot of strategies. You could design your base for a rush strategy which will require tons of resources, you can design it for resource efficiency at the cost of it being volatile, you could design your base to fit onto a little asteroid that you moves around the galaxy.

Some other adjacency bonus ideas I had were…

-For the unit cannon that is depicted in the trailer, if one of those is built next to a factory, it can (optional) shoot them out toward the designated rally point.
    -Turret with generators around it has a higher rate of fire.
    -Turret with energy storage has a higher damage.
    -Turret with mass storage has a large area of effect.
    -Turret with massfabs around it…does something :/

Basically every building built adjacent to another should have some effect is what I was thinking.

“tl;dr” Make adjacency bonuses affect game strategy and have every building give some kind of adjacency bonus.
  15. Devak

Devak Post Master General

My 2ct:

Make a Computernode building. Computernodes act as upgrades to an adjacent factory to bring them to T2, and other upgradeable buildings.
  16. whip

whip New Member

Aye, thats where I got it from :D
  17. veta

veta Active Member

please no adjacency - it adds needless complexity and nuance for very little depth
  18. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

One question that arises is that if you thought it was so useless and didn't add anything to the game, why did you use it and not just build your base spread out?

Clearly it did add enough to the game for you to have to consider it.

Simplicity has its place and with a limited budget I can certainly see that Uber would want to spend their efforts elsewhere, that's fine. But this idea that it didn't add anything is a ludicrous reasoning.
  19. KNight

Isn't that just semantics? As we've said before on the subject, the SupCom Execution adds complexity because there are different ways to use the system but no depth because there is only 1 optimal setup per application. (EI Mass Storage around Extractors).

Mike
  20. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

And that is a balancing issue.