Able Commander Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, July 14, 2014.

?

Should Uber Entertainment offer the Able Commander?

1. Yes, offer the Able Commander.

40 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. No, do not offer the Able Commander.

33 vote(s)
    45.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No, the "question" here is a very disingenuous poll that is very biased.
  2. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

This poll is a little flawed. It's either vote no (YOU MONSTER HOW COULD YOU) or vote yes (YAY CHARITY).

I like the fact you are actively doing something (little late though), but it's very biased.
  3. Yazilliclick

Yazilliclick Member

Not to mention I have the feeling that if 'Yes' wins, and it probably will, then this poll will be brought up in future as "Well backers votes in favor of selling the Able commander and supported it!" even though our only other option is to vote to not support a charity and our only vote in this whole thing is at the last minute when there are no good options.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Look we simply want the community to tell us if this is a mistake or not. If the commander is too close to the progenitor to make you guys happy then we will pull it. It's that simple.

Realistically we aren't sure what or when we are going to replace it with . Probably a few months from now we make that decision if you guys want us to pull it. All of our art resources are currently dedicated and scheduled out (overscheduled actually) for at least the next few months.

So I want to hear from the backers, is this commander too close or not? That's what this poll is about and why it's in the backers forum.

Hard decisions are hard. These are the same decisions we are faced with.
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

That's because it's the same choice we are facing. Pull it now and revisit it later, or keep it.
  6. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I put yes to the poll, however I didn't do it because I agree, or even care. After the time spent on the Commander, and all the crap it's gone through, not to mention it's a good cause, we might as well not waste it.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  7. nanolathe

So can you please explain why you chose the Progenitor, that was slated to be a Unique Model?
    carlorizzante likes this.
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Or just not break your promises made to people. That'd be great. Can you guys please stop having marriage remorse and pick an easier route, like the theta commander?
    carlorizzante and lokiCML like this.
  9. Yazilliclick

Yazilliclick Member

That's not the question you're asking us though now is it? So that's obviously not the question you're going to get an answer to if it's really what you're looking for.

The hard decision and ramifications of it is something that Uber owns due to their past decisions to use what they previously offered as a unique model. This shouldn't be a question passed on to the community to make or backers. This is a decision Uber as a company needs to make at this point and take whatever other actions they feel are appropriate. Passing the buck to the community is not fair at this point since you didn't involve the community at the critical point that led to all of this.
    carlorizzante and lokiCML like this.
  10. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I feel that this poll is not well worded. The options are presented as either help the charity, or do not. That's really kinda playing on people's guilt. This was never the problem with the whole mess. The problem was that people perceived that their initial backing was being devalued, with no input from the community.

The correct thing to do would have been to ask the community before this whole thing blew up, whether they wanted to let this happen. If the community had been involved from the start, then I even suspect that many members of the community would have been happy to allow the progenitor to be used. The issue is not to do with a commander is being used for a worthy cause, but because the community was not involved in the decision.

I cannot support this poll. And I dislike that this means that I am made to feel that I therefore do not support the charity's noble goals. Therefore, I have decided to vote no, but go straight to the charity's web page, and donate them $10.

If anyone else wishes to do likewise, here is the link.
  11. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

The poll questions literally do not mention the charity. I tried to soften it as much as possible despite the decision being a rough and real thing.

EDIT: Personally, yeah, I think we totally should have polled interest beforehand. In an ideal world, we'd just have the infinite time and resources to make something totally new.
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Think this poll is too biased? Well then look no further than this post!!

VOTING GUIDE TO THIS POLL:
    Step 1: Turn off all feelings of philanthropy and think to yourself, "Do I care about the exclusivity of the progenitor model?"
    Step 1B: If you don't have the progenitor, put yourself in their shoes, would you care if the Theta model's exclusivity were at risk?
    Step 2: Answer yourself
    Step 3: Vote accordingly

I voted yes because I don't care about that kinda thing, but there are two different kinds of people in this world, and guilt should not for any reason be a factor in what you want to say, believe or do.

If you truly do think this poll is biased, then learn to think with the mind of a misanthrope. It makes choices like this a lot easier because there's no longer a right and wrong, there is only what you believe or care about.
  13. mered4

Sigh. Tet, we are saying the people replying are feeling pressure to the charity subject, implied or real. Considering it's real.....it's biased. Period. It's like saying, STOP THINKING ABOUT ELEPHANTS. It's just not going to work.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  14. luntbox

luntbox New Member

I appreciate you bringing this to the community, I just wish this had happened before you went and made the Able, this whole mess could have been avoided.

I realise you appreciate how horrible a position this puts backers in, but this should never have happened.

I vote for revisiting it later, because once it's out there there's no taking it back, and it would forever be a smudge on Uber's name.
    lokiCML and mered4 like this.
  15. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

I think the options are fine, uber doesn't have unlimited resources to create art, i don't see what's hard to get about that, so due to some very vocal community members, they've given the community a choose, yes or no pretty simple really, well i thought so. But no, there not the "right" choices, what a joke. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. nanolathe

Question: how many total votes are needed for this to be a representative percentage of the communities' opinion?
    vyolin likes this.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm conflicted, on one hand "no" would make a lot of people happy, and Uber would eventually start work on a new commander for the Able Gamers cause, but "yes" would mean the cause would get money immediately.. but people will be angered by their apparent loss of exclusiveness.
    lokiCML likes this.
  18. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Well considering there are 48,306 members as of this post, and they live in the U.S. which uses the false majority method of 51% is a win, 24636.06

This could take a while.
    brianpurkiss and squishypon3 like this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well they're at least /trying/...

Also they say they'll make a new version later down the line if we here on the forums say no.
  20. mered4

I'm saying no.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.