Able Commander - officially postponed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, July 15, 2014.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what happened with the invictus?
    afaik it´s ubers posterboy for PA that they wanted to give to everyone cause of marketing ... and they did ... so what community pressure was there? ... last i saw the delta now has a changed armcannon and open shoulders ... so again where did uber gave in to community pressure?

so apperantly for some people it is not ok to critisice or raise concerns about decisions that have been made recently...
    the funny thing is some say they don´t care about the commanders, in other words they seem to not care about the ablecommander so they won´t actualy buy it yet criticise those that may have interest in buying but don´t want to cause they would buy something they basicly already have ...
    there is no real incentive in buying the same model with just a mere skinmodification
    yes it´s for charity but in that case people may rather just go to the charity directly and donate (and some indeed did) than buy that duplicate they may just not like ...

it´s unfortunate that the whole situation has come to this
    instead of trying to get to a compromise some people scream on, incriminate and ridicule each other ...
    i hoped better from this community ...
    Last edited: July 15, 2014
  2. catses

catses Member

Was it literally the same model with a different skin? Uber were a bit naive to not think that people would throw up a bit of a fuss if they were promised this model would be exclusive to a section of the community. In saying that I can understand why people are saying "but it's for charity". I agree that it is absurd but an agreement is an agreement and the good will of the community matters.

In saying that I hope Uber re-implement the Able commander with minimal changes to the model. They could swap the arms or head out with another commander model so that it is technically distinct.. Cant imagine that taking particularly long.
    Tomasina likes this.
  3. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

You are aware that standing their ground on the Able Commander, could in theory (very remote but still possible) cost to Uber almost one and half million USD?

There is no catch in keeping failing. Uber did the right thing to acknowledge their rashness (in action if not in words), and took proper course in repairing the damage done to their most passionate backers and supporters. And that's just the right thing. Not easy for them.
    Last edited: July 15, 2014
    tehtrekd, Zblub, janusbifrons and 4 others like this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think that's an unfair assessment. Uber essentially gave away something they shouldn't have, and have now decided to correct that.

Able will get the proceeds from the new model and the tournament, uber avoid breaking any commitments to their backers. This is a very posative thing.

At the end of the day it isn't wrong to stand up for your rights. So many people sit by and simply accept things. Uber have gone up in my estimation on the basis they've proven they do listen to us when it matters.

The only issue with all of this was a few people took it a bit too far, however for the most part people were voicing well constructed and fair concerns which is what uber have responded to. No one is condoning trolls.
    Bgrmystr2, Tomasina, gtf50 and 10 others like this.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

[​IMG]
    cdrkf, carlorizzante and MrTBSC like this.
  6. MrTBSC

don´t fall for his innocent looks !!!
    HE TOOK MY APPLES !!!
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh boo hoo.

Billy_goat.jpg
    cdrkf and websterx01 like this.
  8. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I'm glad Able was postponed. Wasn't expecting this outcome so I am very positively surprised. Way to go Uber.
  9. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Honestly, I think this is one of the better outcomes to the debacle. Props to Uber for resolving the scenario, and props to the community for donating to AbleGamers anyway. Can't wait to watch the tourney.
    Nicb1, cdrkf, brianpurkiss and 2 others like this.
  10. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Not interested in using it either. Never loved it though so I'm not worried.
  11. brantleyyy

brantleyyy New Member

Thank you, Uber.
  12. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

lokiCML likes this.
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

What happens to the Able that was on the PTE? Does that Commander just go poof and if you bought the current Able it'll just be replaced?
    lokiCML likes this.
  14. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I disagree. The new able model will take more time to make and the tournament wouldnt be necessary if people didnt complain in the first place. all uber has to do is give us a box with legs and call it unique and give them the other model.

Not really, if that was the case they would just have to make a new commander and say that is the one they promised.
  15. MrTBSC

if the model were different in the first place people wouldn´t have much a reason to complain
    cdrkf and brianpurkiss like this.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Or if Uber had not chosen an Exclusive Commander in the first place.
    Nicb1, cdrkf, brianpurkiss and 2 others like this.
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

A brief rundown on the Delta-Invictus debacle.

1. Roughly a week or two before the Delta prior to it announced "as the first fully realized commander". Backers were involved with its design by suggestion changes to it, etc. this was done in the backers lounge as its original purpose was to keep backers involved with the development of the game and everything in their for eyes only. Eventually it sees to serve its original purpose and everybody who pre-ordered were granted access to it. (The backers' lounge is for confidential matters between Uber and the community)

2. The announcement occurred on Feburary 8th 2013 live stream and through kickstarter update #20 was announced all people who pledged at tier 90 and up gets the Delta commander. During the live stream announcement was announced that the Delta was for the Cosmic Edition($90). Importantly they were going to use use it to advertise the game. A commander that was already supposed to be limited to a small group of people. (At this point in time I remember thinking this is a powder keg waiting to explode. In hindsight I should PM gerat or neutrino about it but I didn't. That's my bad and maybe avoided the upcoming situation.:( As a side note if my memory serves correctly that could have been a blowup on the forum over if backers get it prompting kickstarter update #20.)

3. Uber eventually realizing their mistake went to correct it. The solution they came up with didn't fly with people so as a consequence roughly a week went by were the community was exploding over it. It didn't help how the Invictus was discovered by somebody going through the game files. Also that they were nearly identical with slight modifications here and there when they were compared. Statements from Uber didn't help the situation either.

4. Everything finally calmed down when Brad stated we are planning a new commander as replacement for the Delta but it is really early and could not state more on it.[A] There are remarkable similarities between both debacles because of this the current one could have been avoided.​

A.
  18. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

On the positive-side people, considering how worked-up some people got over this, and irrespective of whether or not that was justified, it does show how attached people are to their commanders. This can only be encouraging to Uber as it clearly demonstrates PA has a dedicated (bordering on fanatical) fan-base who are prepared to buy additional models, which validates the whole sale of commanders as good potential future revenue stream (if current sales hadn’t already done that). This is then good for us as fans as it means PA development will continue until all other games cease to exist, and Clopse and Matiz will be worshiped as gods.
    gtf50 likes this.
  19. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

That is because people are heavily emotionally involved in this endeavor. Besides that the root word for fan as fanatic because of excessive, irrational passion or devotion they have for the subject of their fanaticism.;)
  20. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

We're removing Able from, more than likely, the next PTE build. If you bought Able already, we'll give you the next Able Commander (release: TBD) for free.