Able Commander - officially postponed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, July 15, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

We only have 1 (ONE!)tank commander with only two more known to be completed.

How 'bout another tank? :)

We have three raptors (along with one purchasable). No other raptors are known about.
    We have one quad that doesn't require purchases and... four? that do, plus Armalisk/SacrificialLamb, Calyx, and Ajax. No other quads are known about.
    We have one imperial playable by default, plus the backer rewards of Delta, Theta, Alpha, and Progenitor. Then there's the often overlooked Gamma. Plus the two purchasables.

The base number is the number without purchasing anything outside of the released digital game. The parenthesis are for coms that can or could be purchased + the base number. The brackets are for the total number of finished coms.

1(1)[3] tanks.
    3(4)[4] raptors.
    1(7)[9] quads.
    1(8)[8] imperials.

The extra two quads are Ajax and SacrificialLamb.
    Last edited: July 15, 2014
  2. CrazyVulcan

CrazyVulcan Active Member

Id buy Tank Commanders, especially for charity :cool:
  3. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Eh, I'm no fan of tanks, it just doesnt do it for me. But I see your point, tank commanders are even worse off than quads.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

432425346457858766.jpg
    stuart98 and BulletMagnet like this.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

How did you not hear about it? You have utterly bamboozled me sir.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Even worse off? Read the edited post, we Have more quads than anything else.
  7. CrazyVulcan

CrazyVulcan Active Member

Easy killer ;). There was a period there, a "or" would have gone a long way but this is the Internet. I am delighted that most everyone here uses proper grammar and punctuation
    vyolin likes this.
  8. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Personally, I think postponing the Able commander is a bigger mistake than copying the Progenitor commander, but for your sakes, Uber, I hope AbleGamers understands the situation, and will stay willing to work with you.

As to the comment on exclusivity.....did anyone actually stop and thinking about what Uber meant when they said the Progenitor was an exclusive model? Did they really mean the untextured base 3D-model, or the full, textured and compiled, ready-to-go model you see in game? Just some food for thought. (After all, the definitely of a 3D model is the representation of any 3D object via specialized software, in this case, the UBER Engine.)

And for the rest of the backers and supporters....it boils down to this. Uber has done a fairly good job at doing everything they can, within their timeframe and budget. The team is cracking down towards a v1.0 release. They truly dont have the resources to make a brand new model, and went with a model they thought would be acceptable for everyone. It was by no fault a mistake on Uber's part. Not on purpose, anyways.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yes. We did.

In the realm of 3D modeling the word model is for the... model. The actual shapes. The texture/wrap/skin is different.

Even if they meant something different, that's not what their words say.

But, it's all over. We should probably just move on.
    cmdandy, cdrkf, vyolin and 1 other person like this.
  10. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I'd be okay with them just reskinning one of the common commanders. A lot of people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that we'll get a new model, frankly, i hope whatever the change is, it takes relatively little time away from their schedule, if reskinning an existing commander is quicker while still giving an awesome result, great, let's do that, and not get all *** blasted this time, further distracting from development time.
    janusbifrons likes this.
  11. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

just do a cool skin/remake off a commander that is available to everyone, like Osiris or Aeson, that way you can avoid friction
    vyolin and brianpurkiss like this.
  12. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Still better practices then EA >.O
    squishypon3 and brianpurkiss like this.
  13. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I am sorry, I did not check the forum in the last few days... and I was really surprised that our "precious" alpha commander cannot be used for a good cause... 1st world problems.

I think, to do this was a very decent move on Ubers side... and I am a bit ashamed of the community right now.
    Last edited: July 15, 2014
  14. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

They could if they tried to get everybody's permission who is entitled to have a Alpha commander involved in the process somehow. One possible way of doing this is e-mailing all people who have a Alpha commander and having them answer a poll. Getting the permission that way and posting the results on the forum or on PA's blog or both. Something like that.;) Which is what they didn't do with unique progenitor model and it could have avoided this mess that way. It doesn't have to be 100% but a super majority would be preferable to me or a simple majority either way.:)
  15. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Now, do not play the victim.

As you told us (months ago) you are modelling 100 Custom Commanders that should be exclusive to just one single player. You had literally more than a hundred better options than the model for the Progenitor.

You could have played this one much smarter, Uber.
    kothanlem, janusbifrons and dala1984 like this.
  16. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

You forgot the mighty Beast commander. :D
  17. borkyborkbork

borkyborkbork New Member

18. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Why?:confused:
  19. borkyborkbork

borkyborkbork New Member

Yea lets move on now that I've won
    kayonsmit101, Fr33Lancer and Bsport like this.
  20. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

Maybe its a little late, and I must make the disclaimer that I did not earn a Progenitor but:
    What if those who earned the Progenitor donate the existing model for Able and wait a little longer for a new Progenitor to be made. Able then has a really cool and unique model and not be delayed, and those that earned a Progenitor will also have their unique model?