A suggestion to balance Tech Two Metal extractors.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by spicyquesidilla, March 26, 2014.

1. spicyquesidilla

spicyquesidilla Active Member

To begin, I'll start with my suggestion:

Tech Two Metal extractors should cost 3-5 times more than the Tech One extractors.
    As well they should yield only 7 metal every second, yes the same as the current Tech One extractors. As well should have a significant HP reduction.

What this solves. Along with explanations.

-Expansion, why spend 3-5 times more metal to make Tech Two extractors over your current mex when it's easier, more cost efficient, and faster to build over the patch nearest to you. Now players will be fighting over mex spots rather than spending time upgrading there initial spots. This doesn't completely nullify the use of Tech Two extractors. There will come a point when the majority of metal spots on a planet and or system are completely controlled, the few that are not are in constant contest. At this time it may be useful to make the investment and begin building T2 M. extractors. This clearly makes the time Tech Two metal is valid in a match far later than it is now, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, Isn't Tech Two supposed to be a late-game feature without completely invalidating Tech 1. This supports that, The tech 2 m. extractor would be a waste without the T1 extractor beneath it.

-HP, This I feel is more debatable. I suggest that Tech Two extractors should be nearly as squishy as Tech One extractors making it even less desirable to rush to tech 2. Rather, letting tech 2 metal be something that pays off when a foothold with tech 1 has been established. But currently defending points is far to easy with the current way turrets act, which is a discussion that has been brought up countless times. I'd bet Uber is definitely looking at turrets if not already going up to base with the nerf bat. I digress, what I'm trying to get at with the hp is another reason why players would choose expansion with expendable Tech 1 over turtling and building Tech 2 mexes. Overall I want to see tech 2 being a risk/reward decision: "I could be building more factories and trying to go get that moon, but if I can get a bit more metal out of what I've got so far I might be able to pull ahead of my opponent. Still... there is that spot over there I might be able to take from him." Ultimately:
    Here's your reason not to get them.;)

The thread

Right now thats all I got for suggestions, I personally Think that this would solve the issues with metal.
    Thoughts are appreciated, I want to know what the opinion is on making the cost of Tech Two extractors cost a relatively large amount if the yield only makes a the metal spot only 2x more efficient.
    Last edited: March 26, 2014
    ace63 and thetrophysystem like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So, it's a way of stacking a second T1 extractor on the same spot, for great cost?

I like the premise, could we allow T1 extractors to also be built into T2 extractors, if they have been build first (Like I qued it up 20 mins ago.)
  3. spicyquesidilla

spicyquesidilla Active Member

Absolutely! I see no reason why one shouldn't be able too.
    igncom1 likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

In this case, I think they should make the models where the don't overlap but rather interlock in different spots of the same model area. Then, they should call one "surface extractor" and one "deep extractor". Had same idea in a different thread. I like it for the most part, it makes best use of the system they have where extractors stack.

Generally, my original premise was, if they have them stack, be more obvious and also balance it. Otherwise, get rid of stacking please and thank you. I generally don't mind which, this makes the game quite interesting. It also requires t1 and t2 tech throughout game (you wouldn't get full yield off just t2 extractors everywhere, you would in fact require t1 fabbers to build their unique extractors as well)
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

They're working on changing the extractors. They're gonna get a new model, and we'll have SE balance changes too.

If they made advanced metal extractors produce 14 metal per second then we'd probably be golden.
  6. thetrophysystem

Neat. Doesn't change my suggestion, neat nonetheless.

Would rather them not stack unless obvious in model (visually different to see a t1, t2, and t1+t2 extractor), and be balanced in stacking to basically require t1 for it to be optimal. If that can't be done, rather them not stack.
  7. igncom1

Wasn't it originally supposed to allow players to easily replace extractors with the better ones, not stack them?
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Just read your idea. I really really like it.
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I would like to see stacking dropped just because it makes expansion later on so bloody fiddly with the need to drop two MEXs everywhere.
  10. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

*nods*
    Mhmm. It's so fiddly to rightclick and drag twice...

philoscience likes this.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Oh please, at least trying thinking about it before reaching for the snark.

Two area commands is a terrible way of doing it. You've just doubled the time it's going to take in terms of walking between spots. The way you do it is by individually queuing each MEX because it's better to build both at one spot then move to the next.

You could area build with two groups, one for T2 and one for T1, but again, this is less efficient than both groups combined as one visiting each spot in turn.
    Last edited: March 26, 2014
  12. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

So u want to make Gunship rushes even more effective?
    Sry but i disagree, u can select the metal densitiy in the system designer, if u want to fight MEXes
  13. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Metal density won't change how broken T2 eco is. Even on planets with very few metal spots, turtlers can rush T2 very easily and dramatically increase their metal income just by placing down a couple T2 extractors.
  14. igncom1

No need to offend nano directly, what you say about his ideas is one thing.

But don't start offending people themselves.
    stormingkiwi and vyolin like this.
  15. thetrophysystem

I don't get it though. I see it doubles work, but in gameplay I don't ever do both at once when I have access to the spots on the spot, I do 5 at a time with just 1 of the 2 techs at once. Never more, never more than that comes up midbattle.

After battle, you have access to all the mexes on planet unbridled, so why NOT just area command them with two different tech fabber groups? Best yet done with air fabbers to ease the hassle more?

Really don't see the intensity of the micro there. That is about as macro of micro you can get. It isn't like you have to queue special shoryuken imput style special attacks for the mexes to build. You just build them.

It is more of a balance problem then it will ever be an input problem. As long as its not ridiculous or ambiguous, it should either be obvious and balanced with pros and cons and a combined cap acceptable and in no way "infinite metal LOL", or it should be removed and balanced where t2 mexes still dont give "infinite metal LOL".