A strange but interesting idea.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by halfcrazy, September 28, 2010.

1. halfcrazy

halfcrazy New Member

Something that would really set Monday Night Combat Apart or for that matter any shooter would be randomly generated maps. Obviously this would be difficult to achieve and likely not to happen but it would still be really neat.

I'm not sure if anyone is here is familiar with the work of artist Allan McCollum, but in 2006 he designed a system to produce a unique two dimensional shape for every single person on the planet. Each shape is composed of 4 parts. These parts are selected from 300 different parts. The result is completely unique shape.

Using a similar system it might be possible to generate unique arenas for every match of crossfire played. Obviously, the arenas would have to be much simpler and would have to conform to the basic arena requirements: two bot lanes, two bot spawners, 6 turret nubs per side.

The most basic form.
    [​IMG]

Assuming you have only 4 possible parts for each area of the grid
    Number of Possible areans =ABCDEFG H
    =44 4 44444=65,536

Just an idea. I doubt it is even possible.
  2. SaTaNiCxCaRnAgE

SaTaNiCxCaRnAgE New Member

this would be interesting and with todays technology it wouldnt be to hard.

One fatal flaw. Update every match just to get the map would not keep me playing.
  3. Grec

Grec New Member

That sounds pretty cool, but a part of the flavor of MNC in my opinion is the flavor that the maps have, and all the different strategies for each one.
  4. halfcrazy

halfcrazy New Member

I know what you mean about the flavor of the maps. But as far as strategies are concerned, I think unique map generation would force people to develop plans and strategies on the fly and to alter those plans and strategies as the situation changes.

And as far as updating the map every match is concerned, I don't think it would take that long to get the map. Since you would already have the parts of the map on your xbox, it would just be a matter of putting the parts in the correct place.
  5. Galcian420

Galcian420 New Member

Neat idea. Shame it'll never happen :/

! Even more interesting idea: have a map that re-configures every 5 minutes, similar to the Pyramid in AvP.
  6. MikeLanglois

MikeLanglois New Member

This seems slightly more possible. A dynamic map that shifts layers/maybe platforms disappear/just generally changes.
  7. halfcrazy

halfcrazy New Member

I'm not familiar with any with the maps from AvP, but dynamic changes sound like a pretty cool idea. However, I feel like a change every 5 minutes is too infrequent for a 15 minute round of crossfire. I would rather see a series of small changes every 3 minutes.

It would be pretty neat if the bot lanes shifted during one of these changes.