A small teaser on our next update

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 14, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

best of both worlds man...

you're both 100% right.

I can especially relate to what you said there.

the game just needs both types of maps. both types of play. I think the ladder deserves even maps.
  2. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

@jables just wanted to give you a bit of a pat on the back here...

As many on this forum (and reddit) will tell you, I am not generally a poster of positive things here. I got involved in the community after I saw a v1.0 release label being slapped on what was, in my mind, the best damned RTS idea to come down the pipe in over 10 years. I was horrified and shocked that, at least from my perspective, hardcore development work was "over". Modders were (and still are) flailing about like dead fish trying to get models in-game along with animations (to me, the cornerstone of making a mod - visuals being 2/3rds of what makes a total conversion) - documentation and good solid information about how to get deep in the game and mod it was MIA (please remember, v1.0 of a game *should* mean that it delivers on it's promises - for PA, those promises included *robust* mod support) - the game's balance was totally wacked, with late game being more boring then watching paint dry, and laggy as all hell if someone decided to start making orbital fighter spam - lobby bugs and performance was horrible - etc.. etc.. etc..

However, I honestly feel bad when I see you personally apologizing repeatedly for what are really just minor things in your handling of teasers and such. Recently, from the perspective of one of your backers, things have been more positive then they have been for quite awhile (the whole HR kickstarter being pushed into my face still stings, however... I cannot understand why you don't just stick with PA and include all those cool HR ideas in the existing game as an expansion) and I wanted to just let you know that every bit of information you relay between us and the dev team is something we are all very thankful for and happy to see.

I'm sure you are well aware of Star Citizen - for me, the way that they are handling giving out information about what's going on in their development works great and has made me repeatedly back their game. As one of the most negative posters here, I can tell you that if we had:

a) An honest letter once in awhile from someone high up on the ladder.. whoever is actually in charge of the PA project, speaking to backers as if we were real people - speaking honestly about what is going on with HR, *REALLY*, why certain decisions were made, and what is happening as we go forward (some sort of honest roadmap)

b) Teasers and looks inside some of the upcoming features going into PA (what you did here was not bad at all), with the goal of getting our feedback and *actually bringing actionable data to devs* - we don't want to just see that asteroid belts are coming in a few weeks, we want to provide our input and expect that you guys are making an honest effort to listen and improve your game *with* us, who are essentially your play testers.

c) Monthly "reports" from some of guys working on PA. Just have them spend 10 or 20 minutes once a month to write down honestly what they have been up to and where they are and would like to go in terms of the future of PA's development.

Of course there are a million other ways you could go about improving things around here, and i'm certainly not wanting to tell you how to do your job. However, I hope hearing an honest rundown of my perspective on things will help going forwards.

To sum everything up in a few short words, I simply think that the trust of the community needs to be won back through real action. Once Uber starts showing us that they are serious about going forward with a developer <-> backer relationship, i'm sure many will be quite open to backing future projects, especially ones directly related to and affecting PA.

Hope you have a nice day Jables. :)
    lokiCML and fredegar1 like this.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I don't understand your need to quantify "1.0" with "hardcore development work was over". This is a presumption you have made with no supporting evidence, and you're judging Uber on this personally-invented metric.

Uber have been transparent with what they mean about 1.0, and it's been pretty clear that 1.0 doesn't mean they're done with working on the game.

Offline play alone should be evidence of that.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  4. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

Hey, i'm just writing down my personal perspective, which I suspect, correlates with many other people, who believe that work done before v1.0 = development, and work done afterwards being "patching" the work that was done before. I'm sorry if somehow after 20+ years of this style of development you believe a v1.0 gold release means that development is still continuing at the same pace.

Also, at that time, it was quite hard for me to believe anything they said considering that what they labeled as their "release" version was far from what was promised in their kickstarter.
  5. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

And yet, you seem to think that development before release and development after release are different things.

Weirder still, you think that post-release "patches" aren't developed with the same software and design methodologies that the pre-release platform was. How odd.