A small teaser on our next update

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 14, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

i'm just not going to get hyped over it is all.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Jables if you know anything about the Halo Reach ranking system, you're mega awesome.

If not, you're still awesome but not mega awesome :p: this was the best ranking system like Halo 3

[​IMG]

THERE SHOULD BE A THING IN PA LIKE THIS EXCEPT EVEN MORE AWESOME. Although i'm not sure how it would be implemented.
    mjshorty likes this.
  3. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Eh its cool. I guess many people here have to be reasured that work on pa indeed continues in a meaningfull way, so sharing little bits here and there, even if they dont realy contain much information isnt such a bad idea.
  4. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I think it really depends. It's cool to show this kind of teaser, when there is a big thing coming - e.g. like ladders. Otherwise updates with some infos would be imo the good way to go, even without (usually unreliable) dates. Doesn't need to be as in-depth and specific as sorians neutral net-post (although that is pretty cool insight).

In my experience something like this is a good way to do it: Using e.g. a teaser to nicely announce something, and later followed up with a somewhat more indepth info's shortly before release. Keeps the hype and assumptions reasonable, and deliver a good amount of information.
    That's at least my opinion. You can give away the next thing coming, it's very interesting to follow an expending games, and also a nice way to ensure people feel like there is stuff going on.

Squad, the Kerbal Space Program-devs, do a quite nice job at this. Not surprising since they are a marketing company, i guess. One really cool thing about Ubers communication is the unusually high amount of devs visiting the forums, though.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Halo 3 had my favorite ranking system, especially since you ranked up from skill. Even leaving matches would make you lose XP! :O

Can't wait to get my hands on the Master Chief collection. <3
    christer1966 likes this.
  6. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Teasers are cool. I like little snippets into the life & screen times of the devs.

In fact, if ALL YOU DID was to post a Monday Morning 'Guess what this is' photo, and let the forums speculate and have fun, and then revealed what it actually was on the Friday or something, *even if* it's not a feature coming out this week / month / year ... it would be so beneficial for everyone.
  7. elodea

elodea Post Master General

TIL:
    Let the kids on the forums lick the cookie dough off the spoon and they'll turn on you for not giving them the half baked cookies in the oven as well.

This is why we can't have good things.

Looking forward to official ladders, it's nice to hear that uber hasn't forgotten about it
    MrTBSC, Abaddon1, Fr33Lancer and 7 others like this.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Could we have some sort of map making contest to help gather good maps together for the ladder?

In any case

Please no random maps on MM. Pl0x.
    elodea and cola_colin like this.
  9. killerkiwijuice

I'm more worried about people getting too hyped for ladders because of this (it does look like rank icons TBH) then getting pissed because this teaser is actually for more achievements.
  10. elodea

Either way, uber hasn't revealed any definitive information.

They've also already released achievements. Steam achievements anyway :p
  11. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

For what it's worth I highly dislike "fair" maps (i.e. boring maps), and want to be ranked on my capacity to adapt to a variety of unpredictable, and even "unfair" situations. Random maps FTW, as far as I am concerned. It all evens out in the long run anyway. And that's the only run that matters.
    Last edited: October 15, 2014
    Abaddon1 and lokiCML like this.
  12. killerkiwijuice

Some people including one of our moderators believe they look like more achievements.
  13. elodea

@KillerKiwiJuice
    Then if that's the case, the fault is on me for believing otherwise :). Although it's kinda weird why a dev would hype 'more achievements' or say they are holding back information about that kind of thing as if maybe they wern't quite sure about the spelling of certain words in the achievement descriptions.

I doubt players much enjoy skill ratings and win/losses that are based on luck. The 'long run' is not at all relevant to the player experience.

Also, the opposite is true. Purely rng maps are infact the ones which are predictable and boring. They are no fun to anyone but the masochist, and they have no high level of strategy. If you want to adapt to a variety situations, you have a variety of different well made maps in your map pool.
    Quitch, stuart98 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  14. icycalm

The definition of balanced map is a mirror map. And mirrored maps are the definition of boring maps. Or am I missing something?
  15. killerkiwijuice

Yeah i don't think they would tease achievements :D
  16. elodea

Balanced map is not necessarily a mirror map. Just like balanced factions are not necessarily mirrored factions. Or balanced playstyles mirrored playstyles.

Say I have a set of 1000 randomly generated maps. Out of them, only 5 are any good. That is, they have fair and equal spawns with equal expansion potentials etc.

Now, do i shove all 1000 onto the ladder system, or do i find the 5 good ones and use those instead?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  17. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Jables...this thread is going insane with hapiness, please lock it, i hate hapiness and must crush it completely :mad:

TEASERS TEASERS TEASERS! WHO CARES ABOUT TEASERS!!!! THE MASTER WANTS DESTRUCTION!!! GIVE US MORE DESTRUCTION AND EXPLOSIONS!!!!! ~Beast Commander
  18. icycalm

Theory says that the MOST balanced map is a mirrored one, and the most balanced factions are mirrored ones. The closer you want to get to 100% balance, the more mirrored you have to make everything (i.e. the more boring).
  19. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

A part of strategy is dealing with the unknown and should be used to you're advantage.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Implying PA's single faction is "boring" as well?