A question about the asteroid bombardment system

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by FlandersNed, September 18, 2013.

1. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

I remember hearing from a livestream a while ago that the KEW bombardment system would involve going to a lower orbit (of the sun), waiting until an intercept point there and then burning for an intercept.

However, I am not sure how it would work in this situation:

[​IMG]
    Here, a moon orbits around a planet. The direction of orbit is shown
    Fear my MS_Paint skills.

[​IMG]
    A player builds planet moving rockets on said moon. They want to cause the moon to crash into the planet.

Will this occur in this way:
    Or will it work some other way?

Also, when orbital units are launched from a planet, with the target being an orbiting natural satellite, how will they get there?
    Last edited: September 18, 2013
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

yeah it really will be interesting to me with beta start, how orbit mechanics work out :)
    I guess your decription will be similar to the solution in the game.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I would imagine that you could direct fire an asteroid.
  4. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

IF moons are moveable then yes this is how you'd do it... The asteroid solution is more complex because it involves changing between gravity wells, but deorbiting something is computationally straight forward...
  5. igncom1

Id imagine that the only complex part of moving an asteroid into a new orbit will be where on the planet you want to strike, and the path you need to get there.

Moving from normal orbit to a planets orbit should be easy if you aren't concerned with where in orbit the roid ends up....could be easy as point and click from the interface.
  6. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

i'm just going to assume that it's always going to be point and click for the user and the actual ballistic solution is found by the game on it's own, of course if you start to think about the actual UI implementation in a little bit more detail things start to get not so easy pretty fast...
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

CommieKazie likes this.
  8. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

More importantly, will we be able to use a rocket-fitted asteroid as a countermeasure to another rocket-fitted asteroid?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

NEED ANSWER NOW :p
  9. igncom1

You could always send your command to it and hijack the controls before it is too late.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

your commader? that's suicide!
  11. igncom1

Not with an engineer to heal him, he can even tank laser towers with healers and can then capture the controls and re-divert the roid to an opponent before once against jumping off.
  12. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Fixed.
    tatsujb likes this.