A Note To Planetary Annihilation Fans About Human Resources

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 2, 2014.

1. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

Two epic RTS games in a row? I salute you, Uber. :)
    The world needs more RTS games!
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

A 3D modeller cant do server optimization. A lot of the trades they needed in the past months for PA are now obsolete. If uber can plan properly, they can easily pull this off. Lastly, the uber team grew massively over the course of PA so half the team now is likely bigger than the full team back then
    Pendaelose, Bsport and cdrkf like this.
  3. Terrasque

Terrasque Member

[​IMG]

Finish what you've started and taken money for first.

[​IMG]
    stuart98 and elkanfirst like this.
  4. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

They can...do some work on more PA models we all want... Or get coffee.
  5. stonberg

stonberg Member

I work for a software house. We work on more than one project at a time. The alternative is that the business completely fails and we all go looking for work elsewhere. Ain't so different for Uber I would suggest.

As long as Uber make good on their promise to continue development on PA then I wish them every success with HR. I backed PA early on, but will probably hold off on supporting HR for a while yet, just to see how things pan out. However, I'm personally pretty happy overall with the state of PA, if development ceased at this point in time I'd still feel like I'd gotten my money's worth.

The whole early access / kickstarter scene has been rather badly spoiled of late, particularly by the Double-Fine debacle (which is about as outrageous an insult to their backers as you can get). In general I'm against early access or the pre-purchasing of games. To date I've only supported three games in this way, two decisions of which I'm very happy about; Prison Architect and PA. The third, Godus AKA RSI Generator I've resigned to the bin labelled "how much of an idiot was I really to have trusted Peter Molyneux?'
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yes, that's the point. PA doesn't need any more art guys or not as many. Think about it, after their work is done... what the **** are they supposed to do? They'd have to fire them, I'd much rather them be doing something than just sitting their wasting Uber's money doing nothing for PA and nothing outside of it.
  7. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

Or work on a game in the background, and when PA is feature complete, then reveal it. Otherwise it create all this drama, and distrust.
    nawrot likes this.
  8. squishypon3

But they wouldn't have the funding for it that the KS provides? :p
  9. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

I think the money they make from PA would at least put food on their plates until they can finish those features, and they won't get any money if they piss off people so much that they won't back the KS.
    nawrot likes this.
  10. squishypon3

But that'd be using PA's funds on another IP, that'd be a bit... rude don't you think? I'd much rather they get the funds so they can do it without interfering with PA.
    cola_colin likes this.
  11. wondible

wondible Post Master General

If Uber was a single-game company, it would have been MNC, and PA wouldn't exit
    Pendaelose likes this.
  12. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

Do you think so? If the art guys have nothing to do and gets fired, then PA get more money because the are no unnecessary employees. But if they began working on the new game, what do PA really lose? I don't think so much new art is needed in that game, instead they begin to work on a new product, which will generate more money once they can reveal it.

Since Uber go a crowd funded path, they need to keep the crowd happy to get more money out of them.
  13. schuesseled192

If there are left over funds they should refund the backers the excess. If you paid me 50 quid to do some shopping for ya, I wouldn't keep the change. (Don't confuse that with working for free, obviously they should be paid for work done but that should come out of their revenue.)
  14. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

I don't think the are such a thing as left over funds, they used it all to build the game, and then they started to earn money from selling it. So the are no money left from what the backers payed. But for the sake of your argument let say they have 10,000$ left after they completed the game, PA has 44,162 backers. That would be ~0.22$ to everyone. Would it really be worth the effort to give it back?
    nawrot likes this.
  15. schuesseled192

Yes...
  16. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

Then you are just greedy.
    Pendaelose and squishypon3 like this.
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

The word you are looking for is "no", actually :)
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Introversion, have run a great run so fair. monthly videos, fan suggestions.

Godus the only game i've ever played were i was genuinely scared i was going to break my mouse click.
  19. omega4

omega4 Member

Pursuant to my earlier post about Uber's potential issue where "Perception is reality", you know Uber will suffer (or suffers) from a perception problem when many have stated that they will adopt a "wait and see" stance for Human Resources, rather than jumping right in and fully supporting it (as they had done for Planetary Annihilation).

I haven't kept up to date w/ the status of Planetary Annihilation. But even for a layman like me, it's obvious that many don't feel that Planetary Annihilation is in as a completed state as Uber does. That disconnect right there between Uber and its supporters is troubling enough, let alone the perception issue that Uber will soon face (or currently faces).
  20. schuesseled192

I didn't back the game, so that simply cannot apply. Uber is greedy if they have stolen excess funds from their investors and not returned them.
  21. aevs

aevs Post Master General

While I'm sure continued work on PA is planned, I think people worrying is justifiable. The 'official' release of PA, the attitude of the devs towards it and the release of a new kickstarter kinda makes me worry that they're burnt out on the project. Nobody likes to toil away at the same project for too long, after all.
    At least work with the same engine should have a positive effect on PA's perf and potential features.
    bradaz85, Malisane, nawrot and 2 others like this.