$900,000 breakdown

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by natedoggcata, August 17, 2012.

1. mimneotic

mimneotic Moderator Alumni

I bet it's one of the Stretchgoals, though!
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes, but an expensive one.

Realistically it's the most expensive part to build-- by far!
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

most ppl who play a game like this for thousands of hours only play the campaign for a tiny fraction of that time. crazy that it is that tiny fraction that costs so much to produce. I never even finished the supcom campaign, but played nearly 2k hours multiplayer...
    very wise to put a campaign not too high on your priority list. It is the good multiplayer that counts in the long run anyway.
  4. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Yeah, I beat TA's campaign, but only because I did it over the course of many years. Skirmish takes up 99% of my time in TA and FA. A strong skirmish element with good AI is far, far, far more important than a campaign.
  5. neutrino

This is basically where I come down on it. We could easily create a neat campaign out of different skirmish battles if we want to have something to play through.
  6. jacob404

jacob404 Member

I am extremely tempted to donate the 10k so I could hang out with the devs. :)
    I will have to think hard about that one... Probably wait a week or two so I don't just do it by impulse. I know for sure I will be donating something though.
  7. goodbean

goodbean Well-Known Member

I would still like an offline mode playing against some AI to practice on. You don't want to jump into your first game playing against a pro.

What about a free demo? Try before you buy.
  8. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

At a minimum will there be a good tutorial?

That pretty much is the reason of half of a SP campain in most rts games
  9. neutrino

Offline AI yes.

Haven't thought about a demo but we'll probably have something. That's kind of way off after we get the game funded and actually build it ;)
  10. Ni2

Ni2 Member

What was the deciding factor against making this a f2p also?
    Last edited: August 18, 2012
  11. goodbean

goodbean Well-Known Member

Having a demo is always a good idea, epically for PC. First of all its a good benchmarking tool for anyone who wants the game but unsure if they can run it. Second, not everyone is an experienced RTS player, you really can't expect many people to risk the price for something they are unsure if they like. A smart person always test drives before making the investment.
  12. gnats3

gnats3 Member

Funding a free-to-play game via KickStarter doesn't make much sense. No one would pay for a free game that hadn't even been made yet.
  13. Ni2

Ni2 Member

funding it with kickstarter automatically makes it not a f2p lol. i meant without kickstarter.

i'll rephrase it:
    What was the deciding factor against making this a f2p and not putting it on kickstarter?
  14. torgamous

torgamous New Member

Not so.

A game funded by Kickstarter can still be free-to-play provided that people don't have to pay to play it.

And it probably has something to do with the fact that free-to-play games only bring in money if they exist. Kickstarter's got a huge advantage in that regard.
  15. ferigad

ferigad Member

Honestly? A F2P Strategygame is *yirks* Dont geht me wrong, there are some game concepts that looks good as F2P MMO Styles.

But a real classic strategy game like the good old times as a f2p concept? No thanks from my opinion. I am willing to pay for a good strategy game with a nice multiplayer and to not have any kind of item and special awards shop to get a edge in multiplayer.

Thats why i never want play the new C&C. I am happy that they dont plan with it some f2p things.

And arghs, i always get one when the guys in the US go sleepin...and when i go sleepin they get active in the forum rawr.....damn timezones.
  16. Ni2

Ni2 Member

good point. Well im just curious why uber decided against it
  17. captelmo

captelmo New Member

Oh please include naval (i'm worried this is an optional - please say it's stretch goal #1)!

I'm with the others on the whole campaign vs good skirmish mode too. For my money I'm interested in PvC solo skirmish, coop play with a friend or two, or some friendly, but not too competitive MP, rather than the campaign.

The only thing I'll miss from the campaign is the pre-battle chitchat from JP Lowrie's booming voice. I often thought it would be pretty cool to have him sum up my skirmish battles lol. Curious as to what else you guys have planned for his dulcet tones...

The thing I won't miss from SC2 is the 'human story' horse$***. "I'm destroying this planet damn you, I don't care if elf guy's grandma is there. KABOOM!"
  18. ferigad

ferigad Member

They did say Naval is a stretchgoal, but they didnt say how mutch more they would need or if it´s the first or last or so.

Check Xedis topic here: Confirmed features and suggestions
  19. hotrod92

hotrod92 New Member

Once the game is done and shipped out, do you guys plan to keep adding onto it if you make enough profit? I believe I speak for many fans of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander when I say that this game just wouldn't be the same if there were no naval units.

And how many units are you planning to have in that one set? Are there going to be tech levels?

The game has so much potential, it would be a shame to see a lot of it go to waste due to time constraints. But even if it starts off simple, it will still be a damn fine game that I'm looking forward to play!
  20. neutrino

The main reason for not going f2p is that I don't want to have to modify the game design to make it work for f2p.

Yes we intend to continue updating the game after release. Naval WILL show up eventually. Just remember that we need to hit our kickstarter goal in the first place to make the game.