[63475] A Guide to Every Unit in PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, March 24, 2014.

1. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

several instances of the OP straight up saying "do not use this, it's dumb/ineffective" kind of a case of imposing one's own opinion really.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The wording could be improved I grant you- however he's got a good point.

I think the main pitfall for this list (and should be highlighted at the top in red or something) is that this list is only valid for the *current* build.

We could have a new build tomorrow that changes all the stats and then a 'do not use' becomes 'use this or perish' unit (I can see booms getting very op in the next pass- remember Scathis is pushing boundaries so once he's found one extreme- in this case 'utterly useless'- he'll go the other way)...

Still nice work, will you be updating this after next patch?

Edit: if this is going to be kept up to date I'd vote this be made a sticky thread.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

No way ! oh no! I sent you a PM, to anyone else wondering, follow the white rabbit : www.faforever.com
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

TA was the former. Not supcom.

This guide was mainly made for 1v1 situations. I could add info about unit specialty usage in team games where applicable, but FFA is such a random and luck based mode that I'd rather not change a unit's rating just because it's useful in one.

This will be updated every patch that has balance changes. There's no way that I'd put this much work into this and then leave it to rot until it's useless a month from now.
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. stuart98

I say that which is. I hate the meta, but I'm not about to mislead players by telling them not to make the one thing that will win them the game. Ultimately a useful guide that tells players the role of each unit as it is helps planetary annihilation far more than a guide which labels OP units that go against my vision of the game as being useless or a guide which tells people to not do game winning strategies so that I can beat them. What we ultimately all want is for PA to grow. The more players, the more that can be invested into making PA into a big eSport and the more people in general that we have to play against. Starcraft, LoL, Dota, etc didn't become what they are today by having crappy and biased guides that told people to avoid using OP things. It's in our best interest to say that which is.
  6. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

7. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

well. i suppose you do have a point. best to point out that which just plain doesn't work like it should. but i'd rather not have such viewed as "don't build this EVER" but rather as "this is not working NOW, but may work LATER"

remember, balancing is not final right now. our "useless little bomb bots" may become the next T2 bomber spam of old. then after that, it will be metered out thanks to Scathis (or whoever's doing the balancing)
  8. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

I think it's perfect. If you're already familiar enough with the game to have your own strategies and be able to effectively use said units, then this guide isn't for you. A newcomer needs a cut-through-the-bull assessment of units. A watered down, politically correct version based on theory where "everything has its place" isn't as useful.
    improvised1 and LavaSnake like this.
  9. stuart98

When something becomes useful I will update its info on the guide. Same if something becomes useless. No balance change will go by without having a corresponding modification to the guide.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so basicly what i can read out of this is that t1 units (Gamma Build 63180) are heavily underpowered to matter late game save for the t1 aa bot?

so current most usefull units

t1 fireflies
    t1 aabots
    t1 dox for the first 6 min of raiding
    t2 peregrines
    t2 kestrel
    t2 levelers, shellers , vanguard
    t2 pelican
    t2 gil-e
    t2 stinger
    t2 leviathan

in this case .... this is just horrible ....

structures

t1 doublelaserturret
    t1 pelter
    t1 walls
    t2 nukes ...

could (and should) be MUCH better

fabbers and nonshootingstuff
    t1 and t2 fabricators

yea i´m obviously ignoring stuff but to me, as i read and understand the op, this seems to be the stuff to generaly go for currently
  11. stuart98

Fixed a few typos and updated a small amount of incorrect info.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Ooh, to play online you'll need to port forward. I'd be up for playing with you if you ever have the time!

Edit: TA that is. <3
  13. stuart98

14. Nothinglessness

Nothinglessness Member

Whats an anti-nuck? Some sort of bird?
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It's an inside joke. :p