~5min in Game GUI Freeze/Hang OS X

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by aeonsim, June 25, 2013.

1. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Hi guys

Any luck tracking down the bug which causes OS X to Freeze/hang after you've been playing in game for 5+ minutes? I just had a go with the 50K build and I see the issue is still there, though maybe not as sever as previously.

After starting a game and playing for a bit (enough time to build some resource collection, defenses and factories) the game hangs. The music still plays but the entire OSX & game GUI freeze, previously at this point I've forced a manual restart after 30 or so seconds. But this time I left it for several minutes and the GUI started to respond again on a 30 or so second lag (single update every 30 seconds or so) which was enough to allow me to tell OSX to restart. The restart failed as PA wouldn't quit but the process was enough to partially kill PA resulting in the GUI returning to full responsiveness. So obviously the bug screws up/slows down the OSX GUI rendering but doesn't actually freeze/kill the OS.

Have you guys had any luck tracking down this bug?

I was wondering if your somehow managing to overload the VRAM for the Graphics card causing OSX to start working for main memory or fight for VRAM for storing the frame buffer? Or somehow getting into a conflict with the OSX desktop rendering pipeline.

Any way thanks the game is looking good and I'm looking forward till this bug is ANNIHILATED so I can have a go at annihilating a few human players.

MacBook Pro 8.2
    i7 2.4Ghz, 8GB Ram
    Radeon 6770M 1024MB
    OS X 10.8.4
  2. DeadJohnny

DeadJohnny New Member

Yup, same here. Haven't been able to get through a game today because of it. Already put it in as a bug.
  3. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

50083 appears to fix this issue, I can now play until I wipe out all the AIs with a big base and plenty of units!
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Good to hear! As can I on my own MBP. :) Should just continue to get better from here. Fixing this was the first big step forward though.
  5. carfunf

carfunf New Member

So I'm on the newest build and was running OSX 10.8.2 on a late 2010 MBP 8 gigs of ram This bug you describe is what i'm getting every time I play the game. It loads fine gets in game fine Runs fine while in the game however after 2-5 min's it locks up my whole system. Also If I quit PA it will not close the application it self. It hangs and forces me to shut the system down via holding the power switch.

Updated my OS to 10.8.4 and same issue presides. Though the OP's issue is to the T the same issue i'm seeing minus the gui responding after a while.
  6. garat

Car, are you getting that in 50083? That was unfortunate but expected prior to this build, but in the latest build, it should be quite a bit better. Make sure your MBP is fully up to date on all the Apple patches too, as that's where they hide all the graphics driver and OpenGL updates.
  7. carfunf

carfunf New Member

So Interesting thing about that, I had initially tried 50083 on a 10.8.2 OSX then got all those crazy hangs and lock ups, Updated to the latest OS patch 10.8.4 ( at least That's what I'm at now) Tried to play a few more games and the first 2 had the lock up issue. But went back into the game changed my mouse scrolling option ( could have been it? ) back to default and played a solid 25 minuets without locking up. I haven't tried this morning but I'm gonna see if I can't duplicate it on the latest OSX build that I'm on.
  8. k3n58

k3n58 Member

I was pretty hopeful at first but as noted, somewhere between 5-10 minutes and had a solid base going, the game came to a crawl and couldn't even select units at times. around 10-15 I had to GG and detonate my commander.

Still have the game spiking the dual-core around 180% w/ 8 GB of RAM, but if I reboot into Windows 7 on the same machine, utilization is only around 50% between the two cores.

I should note, yes this is the latest .50083 build along with OSX 10.8.4

** Closed the game, played a second game and had a similar issue, first planet was Moon, second was earth/water. Same performance issues.
  9. catherder

catherder New Member

This bug is not limited to OS X, I get the same exact behavior in Linux.
    I almost thought 50083 fixed it... but in my last game after ~15 minutes my entire system froze and my screen went black.

I used Gentoo x86_64, kernel 3.8.13, nvidia drivers 319.23, and xorg 1.13

Haven't tried 50256 yet, will see if it changes anything.
  10. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

I've not had any issues since the 50083, have managed to play several games this weekend and even win them, 50mins + no issue.

To those still have problems make sure you've updated to the latest point release for OSX (10.8.4 for 10.8) and try using http://gfx.io to force discrete graphics before loading the game & properly shut down any other apps that are open.
  11. catherder

catherder New Member

Sorry for false alarm... my problem was not the game or linux... it was dust. I kept monitoring the temperature of my GPU while playing the game.. got to 105C =D

After dusting my computer, it only got to 90C with half the fan speed. I feel stupid sorry if I wasted any of your time devs.
  12. silv

silv New Member

I had a weird problem playing today where all the game logic froze. I could still click around and move the camera, but the game was effectively paused. Maybe I'm missing something but I couldn't figure out how to "unpause" it?
  13. evilebob

evilebob New Member

Hi Guys.... getting a similar issue where game freezes after 5min.
    I found this in the gamelog that matches the time of the behavior:

Code:
    [02:43:18.880] ERROR WSAEnumNetworkEvents() failed: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. (10038)
    [02:44:14.229] INFO client::HolodeckCoherentBinder::unitDebugCopy : /pa/units/land/metal_extractor/metal_extractor.json
    [02:44:19.377] INFO client::HolodeckCoherentBinder::unitDebugCopy : /pa/units/land/energy_plant/energy_plant.json
    [02:44:38.565] ERROR createAnimSkeletonControlProceduralAim - Could not find bone: [bone_turret]
    {"type":"procedural_aim","rotation_bone":"bone_turret","rotation_axis":"z"}
    [02:44:38.565] ERROR Could not create skeleton control of type: [procedural_aim] for unit: [Skitter]
    {"type":"procedural_aim","rotation_bone":"bone_turret","rotation_axis":"z"}
    [02:44:38.565] ERROR Could not create skeleton control of type: [fader] for unit: [Skitter]
    {"type":"fader","lerp_func":"is_active","child":{"type":"procedural_aim","rotation_bone":"bone_turret","rotation_axis":"z"}}
    [02:44:38.565] ERROR createAnimSkeletonControlRecoil - Could not find bone: [bone_recoil]
    {"type":"recoil","bone":"bone_recoil","recoil_dist":0.5,"restore_time":0.5}
    [02:44:38.565] ERROR Could not create skeleton control of type: [recoil] for unit: [Skitter]
    {"type":"recoil","bone":"bone_recoil","recoil_dist":0.5,"restore_time":0.5}
    [02:44:38.565] ERROR createAnimSkeletonControlGiblet - Could not find bone: [bone_turret]
    {"type":"giblet","bone":"bone_turret","drag":0.5,"velocity_range":[10,10,5],"velocity":[0,5,15],"angular_velocity_range":[100,360,20],"angular_velocity":[0,0,0],"gravity":20}
    [02:44:38.565] ERROR Could not create skeleton control of type: [giblet] for unit: [Skitter]
    {"type":"giblet","bone":"bone_turret","drag":0.5,"velocity_range":[10,10,5],"velocity":[0,5,15],"angular_velocity_range":[100,360,20],"angular_velocity":[0,0,0],"gravity":20}
    [02:44:38.565] ERROR Could not create skeleton control of type: [fader] for unit: [Skitter]
    {"type":"fader","lerp_func":"is_dead","child":{"type":"giblet","bone":"bone_turret","drag":0.5,"velocity_range":[10,10,5],"velocity":[0,5,15],"angular_velocity_range":[100,360,20],"angular_velocity":[0,0,0],"gravity":20}}
    [02:45:06.505] INFO Streaming state: Uninitialized
    [02:45:06.567] INFO Shutting down CoherentUI
  14. garat

Were you on Stable, or playing the PTE stream? Our PTE stream had a known issue with it this morning. Stable shouldn't be locking up though.

Was it the client fully locking up, or was the client still fine, and the game just stopped playing (no units moving, etc).