$40 on Steam ~ $90 on Kickstarter?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by skyrant, June 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

That Russian pricetag is still ridiculous and really just make me want to turn on proxy, get a shipload of keys and put them on Ebay for 80$ each. For everyone except the Russians this still means a saving and a nifty profit for me....
  2. skyrant

skyrant New Member

It is the fact that it was not made clear that they will also seek other sources of funding and sell this through other channels. We where made to believe that this was an exclusive deal. This is dishonest and deceiving. The fact that these exclusives are now cheaper, not a little, more than 50% cheaper, makes it borderline fraudulent.
  3. antillie

antillie Member

People who paid $90 on Kickstarter got exclusive rewards that can no longer be obtained at any pre order level. Stop being an idiot. You are making groundless accusations that have no basis in reality.
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think you made big mistake when make pre-order or backed game on Kickstarter. I wish you might get a refund and you will never do pre-orders/pledges again because you don't understand what Kickstarter / pre-orders mean.

Developers promised to create great game and they keep their word. Even in alpha PA is epic, it's tech is awesome and I have direct input to developers. But they never promised that price won't change and alpha/beta access never was exclusive feature.

Developers have rights to do anything what they want with their product. They can put it on humble bundle or upload it on torrent tracker if they want to.

If you don't like you just like it's probably bad idea to buy games before they released.

PS: I reported to neutrino myself about Russian regional price, but only because I think it's was some mistake. But if they want that it's way I won't disagree, even when I paid myself 90$ just month ago (I lose kickstarter because was really busy when it's happen).
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So yes the Russian regional price is set based on Steam pricing guidelines. It is possible this was a bad idea and we are evaluating it. My understanding is that Steam is region locked for these copies. Stay tuned.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope, when game have region lock it's have special Warning on page.

And if you want to enable region lock, please consider to sell non-locked version too.
    40$ is really high for Russian mass-market anyway, most of AAA games cost around 25$. But people who actually paying this money is hate region-lock. :(
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Start a convo about this with Valve. May not have a quick resolution, I'll let you guys know.
  8. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

And this is why I love how this whole game and the processes around it are handled by Uber.

I wonder though, can a Russian friend buy this game and give it to me as a present? Because if that isn't possible, someone might end up with a useless game. But if it is possible, that is, of course, massively exploitable.
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yeah, currently he can and I sure somebody already speculated on it.
  10. antillie

antillie Member

I assure you that if this can be exploited then said exploit has already run its course. They are Russians my friend. They understand these things.
  11. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Well, a Russian friend of mine once tried to buy Borderlands 2 for another friend, but this other friend couldn't launch the game, which was kind of disappointing of course.

But, well, hope they fix this soon then.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

:|
  13. duglum

duglum New Member

It's not only about the russians, everyone can buy the game for that price by using a russian VPN to buy and activate it on steam. After that is done you can launch it from anywhere in the World.

Hope this gets fixed soon. Don't get me wrong, i happily backed the project with my $115 and i would've done it anyway because i really wanted this to be made. But a third of the price of the normal alpha access is just ridiculous.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please do not post anything like that because some people might try it and get their Steam accounts banned. And when it's happen you lose all your games and get your card banned too.
    Valve never unlock accounts and never complain with people who break their ToS.

Steam is well known for banning totally legit russian accounts just for using it from abroad, from resorts in Turkey or Spain.
  15. duglum

duglum New Member

Ah well, i just made myself a second account and gift things with it to my main account. I bought many times from the US, UK and RU Store, because they are all much cheaper compared to the german Store.

But of course, everyone has to realise the risk that comes with it.

Seems to be fixed anyway, it's 2500 RUB now, about 59 EUR.
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

These prices have been, or in the process of being, fixed. We were given a basic cost sheet from Steam, just based off their normal regional pricing, and were busy enough, we simply didn't scan it carefully enough.

It was simply a mistake. It has been updated to be more inline with world wide pricing. We decided we'd much rather do that then set a precedent for geo-locking our game.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am impressed yet again
  18. antillie

antillie Member

I love you guys. You do the right thing every time. I salute you.
  19. skyrant

skyrant New Member

Not such an idiot now am i. Maybe in the future you think before you call people names but i am sure you are too full of yourself to even realize your bad behaviour.

Thanks Uber for looking into this.
  20. antillie

antillie Member

Then stop accusing people of criminal activity when doing so is uncalled for.

You brought up a perfectly valid point that Uber is now addressing. However the way in which you brought it up could have used a bit more tact.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.