3DS Max and NURBS?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by maxpowerz, November 21, 2013.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

OMG thanks, i'm still hell newb with a lot of things being self taught :(
    If i had known about setting up a key to link the vertice i probably would have had more luck with my older models i was making :)
  2. maxpowerz

Also i love your ART .. WOW :)
    I like the toy rush desktop pic you made .
  3. maxpowerz

On a funny side note,
    There should be a ExoSuit for the commanders called the NURBS (Nanolathe Upgraded Robotic Battle Suit!)
    Make it so that it gives the commander the ability to build the BIG structures.
    In Example
    ..The Unit Cannon
    ..Advanced Buildings
    ..Any other BIG UBER suprises that the public doesn't know about :p *maybe a Megabot or something*

Maybe it could have a small health bonus (not big one or too many people will cry about the blah blah upgrade thing)
    Tiny firepower upgrade too.
    Like a minature krogoth suit or something.. lol
    LavaSnake likes this.
  4. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I actually suggested an idea like that a while back, but it got shot down so I'd say that is unlikely. :(
  5. maxpowerz

Yeah i seen a few topic's on this subject and it always got shot down.
    i only stated it coz of the NURBs acronym i implyed :) (Nanolate Upgraded Robotic Battle Suit)
    I thought it was funny.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I'm modeling with NURBS right now in Blender (just started for a separate project). I'm up to 5,000 Polies right now for a high-quality TPS model of a yacht-sized spaceship, and it looks pretty decent in terms of polygons and detail. I'm also using Booleans on the baked NURBS surfaces, which causes polycount to explode.

It's not that bad so long as you don't go over the top with NURBS detail. Remember that low-poly models generally look better when rendered in the game than when rendered in your friendly neighborhood rendering software.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  7. maxpowerz

Blender has NURBs support :O
    i missed that, i didn't find it so i gave up on blender.
    I'm too used to 3Ds Max and Maya 3D that blender felt a bit weird with its layout.
  8. mushroomars

I've been working with Blender since I was 6, so I don't really know anything else. Is NURBS the secret ingredient to creating decent looking organic models? I've always been looking for how to do that. I just passed them by...

Thanks for this Max! Helps a lot.
  9. maxpowerz

Its easier to make nice curved surfaces so in one way yes it can make things look more natural.
    I mainly use it because i suck at reshaping vertices,
    NURBs is much more easier for me to model a nice smooth model with, everytime i try to do the same with say a cube with many segments and reshape it, it just looks terrible, i just need more practice and i need to make textures to hide the sharp edges of models by using some gradient shading near edges i guess.
  10. maxpowerz

I should ask Ortikon if the guys down at NerdCorp use NURBs or polys to make Max Steel.
    I'm sure for the amount of detail they want they would probably use NURBs or some kind or spline modeling.
    it gives the more natural look, but i have OUT_DATED skills lol, there is probably way better techniques for modeling now than what i'm used to.
  11. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Pretty sure the 'secret' is mesh sculpting. Though, it does come with its caveats.
  12. maxpowerz

Do you mean start with a flat mesh or cube mesh of many segments, then shape it and then subdivide (if needed) to get more ploys and then reshape then divide again unitll you have nice smoothish end result?
  13. Dementiurge

14. maxpowerz

OMFG WOW!!!!
    That just blew my fn mind!!!!
    On my way to Zbrush up some AWESOME.

Cheers Dementiurge, that was awesome info :)
    I'm gonna learn me up some Zbrushing skills :) :) :)
    That looked heaps easier than what im doing with NURBs , im grabbing points and pulling/moving points, its so damn slow compared to the sculpting technuiqe you just pointed out.
  15. mushroomars

I really want to get ZBrush but it's $700. And I'm not really into doing high-quality organic models, it just isn't as fun as creating a really complicated robotic rig.
  16. Dementiurge

Zbrush isn't the only program to do sculpting, though it was probably among the first to be useful for making games. (It was initially for creating high quality bump maps.) Even Blender has some basic sculpting tools, though it's probably as difficult to learn as the rest of Blender.

Zbrush has a free demo version called Sculptris.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  17. maxpowerz

*sighs*
    Max Assult.png

Ummm 116,351 polys :'( I guess im not going to be using my "Assault Mech" as a Unit or even a Commander
    Poly count.png
    Last edited: November 25, 2013
    LavaSnake likes this.
  18. maxpowerz

Ok Slimmed it up a little
    mesh.jpg

Slim.jpg

Still at just over 88,000 polys :(

Let the culling begin!! , Might sqaure out the legs and back, Take heaps of the finer details out :(
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Holy ****.
  20. maxpowerz

Im a mech fan, i have collected and made tons of parts n pieces for making AWESOME "Mechs", but there all OMG quality and off the charts in poly count when i convert from NURBs to poly.

I can't really make a low quality style one like PA has yet ,, im workin' on it tho :)
    Making models like uber do in low poly count and looking good is EXTREMELY difficult!!