2 months to release and the game feels like pre-alpha and is a letdown. Please delay the release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by larse, October 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

If they wanted mainstream though they'd have had no problems finding a publisher. The whole point of Kickstarter is it allows developers to make the game they want, already funded by the people who want it, not the game that's simply the most popular. While more people = more money, I like to think the developers rate the ability to make the game they want higher than using the lower common denominator in game design to get rich.

What they have stated as their goal is a TA-inspired spiritual successor, with smashing planets and orbital warfare. I personally would have no problems with a "TA 2.0 with multiple planets". There are some obvious adjustments that need to be made, but they aren't sufficient to make it so far removed as to no longer be compared to TA.
  2. hsj

hsj New Member

As far as I'm concerned the actual go live date is a grey area. Nothing will change for me, it's not like they'll stop working as soon as it's released. It's a marketing decision when they can 'go live'. I have a feeling they'll be needing the cash.
  3. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Either way the game is ruin because the guy will leave as it's unplayable.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

The game isn't out yet. How can you possibly say it's ruined?

I respect all you've done with FAF, but your criticisms of PA as an unfinished game are beginning to grate a little. You have to bear in mind that Uber is a much larger team than you have available for FAF. Have a little faith.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I doubt they will make any choice to ruin their game.

And as said above, with big companies they cater to exaggerated advertisement and making a deadline after finishing the game.

With crowdfunded indies, they must announce the game before even starting work, not finishing. Then they have to let people play it early in development, where we and Kerbal Space Program are now.

It is up to the developer to keep patching the game as players play it, and release is just a sales choice so it is up to them when is the best selling point. Either way, we are playing from now until way after, do to us it is just what feature is next, not when is release.

Really, nobody playing the game needs to care about the marketing sales pitch of public release, it is already released for you. What is worth thinking of for a player, is what's the next feature coming to the game.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

FAF is very good at what it tries to do. It's unfortunate that the developer feels like it has to be compared with PA. It seems like every time someone praises PA, somebody always takes it as a criticism of SupCom, FAF, or SupCom 2. I worry that this is likely to create an irrational us vs. them mindset that could damage both games' communities. I think a lot of people plan to go on playing and enjoying both games.
  7. thepilot

What are you talking about? I was replying to warrenkc.

When the game lag a lot, if it's only for one player or both, it will be the same : The game is ruined.
  8. cwarner7264

I see - you didn't make that terribly clear in your post- I thought you were saying that PA was ruined.

I apologise for the scolding tone.
  9. thetrophysystem

I don't. People were complaining 4 patches ago that they can't ever finish a game without a gamebreaking bug. Now, most people praise the stability. The pathing in craters gets the most complaints as a gamebreaking bug, when it immobilizes your commander.

How is the game ruined? It can't be ruined if it was never officially started. We are playing with the scattered bits and pieces of work in progress. It also can't be ruined because it isn't THAT bad.
    evilOlive and cptconundrum like this.
  10. thepilot

I didn't quote before there was no post before his and mine when I've pressed "post reply" :)
  11. cwarner7264

He was saying that once one player experiences lag in a match, that match is effectively over, not commenting on the state of PA overall. It wasn't worded too clearly, is all.
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Are the performance issues really that bad? I haven't noticed it in any of my games.
  13. thetrophysystem

Exactly. This. Exactly this. THIS EXACTLY.

There are issues in this game, but I literally don't hear everyone complaining like 4 patches ago. Simulation terminated, that was an issue like XBxo 360 release date red ring of death. Now, we are complaining about spikes of lag. Sometimes I pop in and out of games with AI and I don't instalose for the minute of time lost.
  14. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

On one hand, I don't see much change since I 'left' this forum months ago. On the other, I don't (well, didn't; I should have now, but can't find it :p) have access to the backer's forum, and I am quite sure stability and optimisation are the more important things, which you can hardly notice if you do not play the game and did not follow the forum for months.

That said, a delay may be a good idea. But it's up to Uber, and I trust Uber enough. :)
  15. 2nv2u

2nv2u Member

I don't know what Uber is planning on releasing in the very near future, but the state of the game right now is also in my opinion far from done and cannot even be considered BETA.
    A BETA release almost always represents the final product containing ALL "should have" features that may need some work or are not completely done or tested yet. Some "nice to haves" might not be included and performance, balance issues should be expected and need to be ironed out.
    An ALPHA release represents the software being under heavily development not containing all "should have" features.
    IMHO this is were PA is currently at and we're days away from December right now.

I'm not complaining if they don't make the deadline, the current way they involve us backers in this early access releases show there progress and would allow me to wait for it an extra couple of months and help discussing ideas and issues arising in it's development.
    If it means will have to wait another 6 months for a true successor to TA and be able to be a part in it's inception, I don't mind at all!
  16. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

"This is not a AAA showoff demo beta" response in
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Technically that is the goal for the END of the beta, but things are naturally going to be bumpy along the way, Betas never start out being perfect.

Mike
    Quitch likes this.
  18. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Arguing about semantics again, are we?
  19. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I was about to write EXACTLY the same thing...
  20. 2nv2u

2nv2u Member

Sorry, didn't mean to rant about this, but since the perception of BETA software (Gmail anyone?) is largely being perceived as an almost finished product that needs polishing and PA is just not there yet. My point wasn't to declassify PA as being BETA in the first place, but to alleviate the fact people seem to think it's almost finished because of it.
    I understand that Uber had to make this move to get there backers access to PA since they promised it in the campaign, but unfortunately this also raised the expectation of the product itself.

Don't get me wrong, all I really care about is for PA to be a great game, but the classification as BETA, the month we got left in development and state the game is currently in makes people anxious.
    Uber should manage these expectations to counter these type of posts and make everybody clear that the current state isn't what they can expect when it's shipping somewhere next year.
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    drz1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.