2 months to release and the game feels like pre-alpha and is a letdown. Please delay the release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by larse, October 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I think we are going to see the next larger patch coming really soon.

I think Uber has to work now harder and faster then before and will do some greater steps. After that Uber will concentrate on the balancing stuff and sort. Polishing up the game for release.

In the meanwhile they will work even harder, harder, harder and faster, faster, faster... to get out a new build every day (like we used to it) after release. Then the game will grow. The community will definitly take some action right after release to help pushing the game forward.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

HERM PA runs in a webbrowser.
  3. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

It's difficult for a developer of this size to release a game the size of PA on time. Especially on a limited budget, if what's been said about their budget is true. Even more so if they have to push back the game, because that cuts into their already-limited funds to get the game ready and where it needs to be.

I'm generally of the mindset where you release it when it's ready and not before, but unfortunately they may not have that as an option if money starts running low.
  4. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

edited..

My apologies, i thought the UI was "webscript" and the Game was rendered on an OpenGL surface using its own engine.

and i thought the UI was a layer and OpenGL surface was another separate layer.
    Last edited: October 27, 2013
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If you take away the stretch goals that are supposed to be after the main release anyway.

Then really they aren't too far away from their goal.
  6. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I don't really want to be that guy but I gotta nitpick or it's gonna bug me forever. Preemptive apologies.

To be fair, multiple screen support is not something that needs to be 'implemented' since it already exists. Making them display different parts of the battlefield is a different story altogether, and this should be looked into, but never let it be said that multiple monitors aren't supported yet because that simply isn't true.

Amphibious units and space platforms are simply units that aren't put in yet. There's a bunch of other units that aren't in either, but you don't have individual statements for them either since you don't have a name for them. That's hardly fair. The units needing to be implemented in itself is fair, though.

There's also already mods for the game, and the capacity for modding is only limited by what parts of code modders are given, and so far I don't think the modders have everything. That does not mean the capability for the game to be modded isn't there, it's just they don't have it yet.

These I can agree with, though some of these shouldn't take very long at all.
    - Any reactivation of features on metal planets as well as geothermal / liquid metal processing mines are more units. These would take much more programming though.
    - Ice asteroids and gas giants are more planet types.
    - You can already choose your commander, they just don't have extra features yet.
    - We don't have the interface that they've been working on in any way, either. Not even close. They'll probably implement it when they're closer to completing it.

Overall, I see where you guys are coming from, and it definitely does look like the game may need more time from face-value, but I trust Uber, and know that many of the big features like the fluid UI have been worked on in-shop without release. I'm really leaning to agree, but since I don't actually know what Uber has hidden up it's sleeves in terms of epic release shenanigans, I don't want to make a final judgement.

That said, I will gladly take part in stressing the severity of the situation, because if I simply sat idly by like a fanboy defending Uber up and down, the game may end up released prematurely like many other games on the market. That's not what a true fan would do.
    Grimseff likes this.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

No. PA do not run in web browser, but it's using browser for UI rendering and handling of user input.

So maxpowerz totally right here. UI rendered by Coherent Host and then bitmap just added over game renderer output as totally separate layer.
    LavaSnake, shootall and maxpowerz like this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That kind of thing can be done with any game that supports windowed mode. So basically any game. It has nothing to do with a multiple screen support. Uber very clearly spoke of multiple viewports.
    Gorbles and LavaSnake like this.
  9. tatsujb

document yourself.
    mod support is not going well.

the parts you can mod are limited by the current modding system to what we've done.

I on my side have had a rough time since the begining since icons are the only part of PA that don't update with f5
    and that mod support has been dropped for them.

i'm reduced to replacing the icons in the games files.
    as for my leap motion mod I've asked ages ago for calls to be able to emulate input and have gotten no reply.
    as for the mod sytem it need to move up two dirrectories for a lot of the game files to be moddable.

shaders and textures arn't moddable with this system, you're forced to replace game files it's unclean and gets broken each patch, making it near impossible to create a community around your mod.
    maxpowerz and bradaz85 like this.
  10. tatsujb

correct me i I'm wrong here but PA can be run in a webrowser no?
    all the interface is HTML and ect
  11. cola_colin

UI mods are pretty damn awesome already. All that is lacking is a bit more of general API to interact with the engine.
    Also I am pretty sure you can emulate most inputs already with js.
    About replacing shaders... I am not quite sure, what about the new system here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/beta-mod-changes.51520/ Does it work already? My ui mods dont need it.

EDIT:
    The UI runs in a browser. However it needs some engine specific stuff present, so trying to open the game ui in a normal browser results in js errors.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  12. maxpowerz

yes if you write a program to load the opengl surface in a web browser
    but i don't think PA is currently written to do so.

--edit--
    sorry for the edits i'm using touch screen an bad typing skills :(
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

No.

It's only UI, everything else just native C++ code. Game expose some in-game info to UI and as well you can make engine calls from JavaScript, but those won't work anywhere expect Coherent.

To be fair it's pretty hard to explain it shortly, it's will be better if you use your own google-fu and check Coherent Labs website and blog.
    LavaSnake and shootall like this.
  14. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Does anybody have experience with Coherent UI?
    Any thoughts on it? I have no coding and and graphics abilities.
    But I am sure that the Community's Wishlist won't be completed by out-of-box.
    Curious whether there is room for me to help guide/manage a fan UI mod if I'm not actively coding and doing graphics.
  15. maxpowerz

I think they making it like this so they can Spawn more OpenGL surfaces to render more views inside the main veiw :)
    Picture in Picture like my LG TV ;)

---edited---
    Also i Like culverins mock Gui, and the kickstarter video, they have Picture in Picture views.
  16. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Ah, windowed mode. How you convolute thee. Yeah, ok that's a fair point.

I'm not quite sure exactly what 'document yourself' means since I've never heard it before, but I completely understand that the mod scene is much more complex than I hope to know. It may not be as fair as I presume it to be, either.

I do know that the game is changing everywhere a lot because it's in development, and even if modding isn't working very well right now, they at least let the game be moddable in general. I'm curious, Tatsu. Do you think some files aren't moddable anymore because Uber planned a more efficient way to make mods work? Or is that just wishful thinking? That's sort of how minecraft went about the modding scene. A lot of the texture packs and such were broken, but with the implementation of the new system, there was no need to edit the game's files at all.

It's not the same thing, obviously, but maybe Uber is going down the same general path of making features moddable without you guys needing to edit the game files at all. I don't really know a lot about the modding scene, but just as much as Uber can code, you guys can too. I know that.
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You don't need any abilities to edit PA UI. Everything you can change it's just HTML and JavaScript. ;)
    shootall likes this.
  18. cola_colin

The Tech itself is awesome. The API provided by PA is small and clearly unfinished.
    LavaSnake and shootall like this.
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yes they can do that, but it's have nothing to do with UI because Coherent only handle user input and UI rendering. Management of game window done by game itself.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  20. maxpowerz

sorry i mean that's why they make it 2 layers, UI and OpenGl surfaces
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.