16-32 Player FFA and Team Games On Weekends

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by mikeyh, March 10, 2015.

1. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Here's the CPU benchmarks I often use when comparing CPUs:
    For single thread performance the quad core i7-4790K @ 4 GHz is 27% faster than the 2690 v3 in those benchmarks.

More than 4 cores are actually used so I'm not sure how the fastest single thread quad core would compare to slower single thread 6 or 8 core CPUs in actual use.

I'm thinking for smaller multiplayer you would want the fastest single thread i7 quad core with sustained performance and no thermal throttling where the slower i7 extreme with 8 cores might have an advantage in bigger multiplayer:
    Network bandwidth and quality will be the major issue eliminating most home and even business internet connections for bigger or global multiplayer.

To host big worldwide multiplayer games you'll probably need access to a tier 1 data centre network in the US ideally on the west coast to be central for all countries.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

Is it possible that the gmt times or utc times are placed in the first post. Thanks in advance.

Then we can make schedules.
  3. mikeyh

Normally I only update with confirmed times. Added unconfirmed but highly likely times.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. veep

veep Member

Is there a way to watch replays of these games? (I see you mention replay files for download, but where do I find them? Sorry, for being dull.)
  5. mikeyh

Later today there will be a way to download replays for installation in your local PA directory.
  6. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

The utc times or off course without summer time included. Say like me. I live in Netherlands. That's utc +1 but summer is also +1 so that makes me utc +2 in summer but for now winter time is still here. Lol always confused with summer and winter time lol
  7. mikeyh

Jackbandanna, Alpha2546 and Quitch like this.
  8. mikeyh

Server has been provisioned and will be available in next hour.
  9. stawos

stawos Member

I'm down, most any time on Sat, FFAs are fun but some big team games would be really sweet!
  10. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Shameless plug

mikeyh has been kindly hosting super-sized games for the past 24 hours, and they have been of exceptional amounts of fun

there is game up RIGHT NOW (10:00 UCT, or London Time) if you've missed out and want a game
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  11. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

how do you connect to these things?
    And is there like a notification thingamagic?
  12. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You need the PA Stats mod to be able to see them. And the notification thingamagic is this thread. (And probably also PA Chat, which is automatically enabled if you have PA Stats.)
  13. mikeyh

See original post. You can also use the Faster Server Browser mod.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  14. mikeyh

16 replays from this weekend are now available to download and watch from: https://palobby.com/replays/

Sadly we lost the replay for one of the big team games when the server froze. #purple-won

My favourite is the 10 v 10 team on Annihilator.
  15. mikeyh

16. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Just going to chime in on a similar theme; I too run custom server games from time to time. I've just updated PA on laerad.net's server (32GB RAM, quad core Xeon E3-1270 v3 @ 3.5GHz), so will host a game shortly when I have an hour or so to spare on PA. Please let me know what kind of games you are interested in:

FFA?
    Team games?
    1v1s on HUGE planets?
    Combination of the above?

Also, what time is best for you? Be sure to state your timezone!
  17. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

Mike I think your server events need a some better marketing. May you can use this video for inspiration.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  18. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I'm going to say that you should probably try to avoid this because of client side RAM usage. You can't get a size 3000 with 16GB of RAM and still expect to play on it. Not to mention that the framerate takes a hit as well.

I wonder if it would be possible to host modded games so that they don't lag the servers and crash on this.
  19. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I was thinking more like 700 (like Amplus) to maybe 1000/1100.

Very curious for huge planets past the PlayFab 1300 limit though. But yes, you'd want a lot of RAM if you did that.
  20. mikeyh

Server stats from Clan Wars Showdown:
    • peak RAM usage of 54GB (most of this is history)
    • peak network of 52Mbits/s
    • peak CPU equivalent to 9 of 24 cores (48 threads)
    • typically CPU bound on 2-4 cores