100 man game.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Methlodis, December 4, 2013.

1. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

How could I have missed this. Very nice!!! :D

200 player games: :eek: just: :eek:
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

3. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Poor Icarus...
    Uber could "work around it" though couldn't they? Run the odd 10 player plus game on a server dedicated to that task?
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's probably exactly what they mean when they say it is not ready yet. Such a feature has to be implemented after all ;)
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Uber internally have priority for each feature they're working on and they can't just move fast and go change their backend only to let us run games with more players.

Or they can do that, but as result they'll spend less time on more important features. This why it's much easier for them to enforce limits before they have time to test how much hardware resources each game need and implement balancing properly.

PS: Obviously they can do that, but before they only make such exception for high priority game breaking bugs.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I would have joined if I were awake, actually not, because my computer probably wouldn't handle it. I am at the bottom of the barrel though I run smooth in standard size games.

Thanks for the invite earlier though, cwarner :)
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  7. stormingkiwi

Isn't the issue that the servers are set up to support 80 connections, and 1 60 player game turns that into 130 connections?

And of course it falsely skews one game so that takes up way more bandwidth than the other games (because there are more clients requesting data from the server) Same reason the player with the fastest connection in some multiplayer games causes everyone else to have poor performance.

I was merely suggesting that Uber could, on very rare occasions in the lead up to release, set up these uber games as publicity even (e.g. journalist stuff)

Just saying.
    Because well.. if you can't say it at Christmas, when can you eh?
    drz1 likes this.
  8. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Could you imagine the splash this would make at E3 or PAX?
    Have an entire room playing a single game...

That would be insane.
    Corang, mishtakashi, drz1 and 4 others like this.
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm going to PAX East 2014...

Uber pls
    drz1 and tatsujb like this.
  10. stormingkiwi

Actually why hasn't RTS attempted huge games before? FpS and RPG both have?
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

For AWS EC2 it's doesn't mater how much connections you have if it's not 10000. As long as I know each instance have 250mbps network limit, so most likely it's complicated issue.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean in first place. :oops:

Yeah it's will be nice if Uber will
    officially host some large game. :rolleyes:
  12. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Imagine the betting pool...
  13. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

This tread makes me sad. I've been choking on schoolwork for 2 months noand I didn't really have the time to play anything. But I'm almost through it now (1 more week) and was looking very forward to playing a game or two this weekend if time allowed.
  14. stormingkiwi

So play this coming weekend. Nothing will stop you. You can play in a 10 player FFa, either vs AI, players or a mixture of both; or alternatively in a team situation.
  15. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I was talking about playin a 40 player game.
  16. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Rofl, really? You guys did that? Too bad I missed that.
  17. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

Well if uber is looking for some more powerful servers for cheaper. They could have a look at DigitalOcean.
    http://digitalocean.com/

They run off ssd's have 1 gbps uplink and decent amounts of bandwidth. Cheaper and faster than Amazon AWS from my experiences.

They also have an api available.

I mean for example if uber was using the m3.2xlarge amazon instance with 8 cpu's 30gb of ram. that instance costs $0.900 per Hour on linux os's. An instance at digital ocean with 32 gb of ram and 12 cores. is $0.476 per hour half the price and your getting a lot more computing power.

Plus with equivelent instances on paper i find digital ocean just seems faster.

They have locations in 5 different data-centers. two in new york one in San Francisco, and two in Amsterdam.

I have a smaller one in the second New York data center and man is the network speed nice lol

can get a full gigabit download speed from some sites (just using wget on some test files hosted around different places), and from most locations i can at least get 50 mb/s latency from Texas seems decent also around 50 ms.

In the 2 or 3 months i've been with them, i have never had my server got offline or be shutdown. Have only had brief downtime when they were upgrading their network capacity. but the server wasn't shutdown or anything.

Just an idea uber :D
    Last edited: December 5, 2013
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I doubt the server needs an SSD tbh.
    CPU and RAM are probably the biggest issues.
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

DO is cheap, but unfortunately it's don't have real SLA on network connection speed. Sometimes my instances there have 10-20mbps of bandwidth and this is unacceptable for Uber needs.

Also currently all PA servers are running on Windows, so for now DO just won't work.
  20. syox

syox Member

I pay you a monthly fee so you can rent independent (from the rest of ubernet) severs to let me play these big games. 10 $ a month?