100 man game.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Methlodis, December 4, 2013.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

2. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

We failed, starting one with 60
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We are going to be hotfixing this, by the way guys. While we appreciate the bug find, this is ruining the experience for anyone on the same server as people using this.
    shootall and Stormie like this.
  4. ChickenEggroll

ChickenEggroll New Member

Well, new bug found. Enough people spamming in chat crashes the game for everyone.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Created it's here: PA#2741
  6. garat

You can close that bug. I killed the instance. If you guys want to make slightly larger games until the hotfix, you can, but if I see any games over about 15 players, I will be killing those for now.
    shootall and Stormie like this.
  7. iidutchmikey

iidutchmikey New Member

It was not the people that lagged the other servers it were the annoying spammers who started spamming random numbers in the chat...
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Well we did say stop spamming the chat!

Also, sorry I suppose we did get a little carried away with the big games. But they are fun :(
  9. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I think what Garat is saying what caused the rooms to go down was him terminating them. Not so much the chat spamming.
  10. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

We do apologize, but we have been doing the 30-40 man games, that have been working quite well as far as performance. Can we at least keep those numbers?
  11. garat

The server can handle what you guys were doing just fine, including chat spam. However, a single instance running 100 people, or 60 people, or 40 people, at this time, will ruin the game for everyone else who happens to be unlucky enough to play on that same server. Please keep it reasonable, but we will be hard locking this down on the server until we can handle this properly so it doesn't ruin other players experiences.
    shootall, Stormie and brianpurkiss like this.
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

*sigh*

Not surprised at all that Uber is putting their foot down on this.

When players were responsible and made only small large games, we would have been time.

Now Uber says no more.

Brought it on yourselves guys. :-/
    drz1, Stormie and cptconundrum like this.
  13. garat

At this time, absolutely not. Sorry, but this is having a lot of unintended consquences that aren't necessarily obvious to the people in the excessively large game.
    drz1, shootall and brianpurkiss like this.
  14. DeadStretch

I can't speak for the team but from my experience with past UberNet games we aren't seeing everything. WHile to us it all may appear to be fine on their side, seeing their private numbers things could be breaking w/out anyone with the proper knowledge knowing.
  15. kikser

kikser New Member

At least raise our limit to 20, 20 can support a 10 v 10
  16. garat

We will when we're ready, we promise.
  17. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

You make Zaphod a sad bear :(

Please consider upping to 21 slots (I need a spectator slot xD), the game is entirely playable even on my 6870. I have truly had the most fun, exciting and enjoyable games ever in PA with 18-30 player games.
  18. kikser

kikser New Member

19. garat

No. Sorry, guys, but while it appears to be fine on your side, it absolutely is not fine. It is WRECKING the experience for any other instances on that same server. We are not ready to allow larger games yet, because we don't yet have a way to quickly load balance as needed to other servers so that people can't have inexplicably bad play experiences on an overloaded server. We have 10 players per server for a reason at the moment - because we know the servers can handle it, and handle it well.
  20. DeadStretch

While your game may be all fine and dandy who knows what other issues that game is causing to other players and games being played on that server. Maybe all these current and recent lag complaints are coming from the fact the community figured out the fact they could play 40+ player matches?

[Edit] Ninja'd by Garat.
    iidutchmikey likes this.