€50 2v2 PRO-AM Tournament.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Clopse, January 19, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You didn't let custard win?.... Again?
    (seriously is there a team event he hasn't won?).

@violetania You summoned the power of cats, on the internet! How is this possible?! :p

Also @cmdrflop you could have ended his reign of terror in round 3... What happened?

seriously though great event, I watched a few of the games, all good matches. Also congrats to the winners :)
    violetania likes this.
  2. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Hope you all had fun ! Thanks to all the players for enabling pastats !
    elodea, violetania and reptarking like this.
  3. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I managed to catch this live and it was great. Starting a little later suited me better, not that I would have missed it if it was at the 'usual' time.

@violetania
    Banter makes it very entertaining, you just have to be careful that everyone is on the same page.
    Quitch and cptconundrum like this.
  4. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

This was really cool to watch. I hope we will see more 2v2 tournaments.
  5. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

In the PA community the "trash talking" hasn't been trash talking, rather it's a parody of it. I've never seen anyone taking it seriously in any of the events I've been a part of. Anyone who was being genuinely nasty would be kicked out of a tournament. I certainly don't want to recreate the embarrassment that is the fighting game community.

Jokey "we've got this" talk before games, genuine hugs and praise for afterwards. Its been the standard interview format for PA events and I think it works.

Perhaps a rephrasing would be in order though. And communicating it better to new participants.
    Last edited: January 25, 2015
    cptconundrum and stuart98 like this.
  6. Quitch

Also, @tvinita, I hope you saw this event because it's a perfect demonstration of how completely unnecessary Dox buffs are. In fact, rather than buffing the overshoot bug needs to be fixed to stop them being OP abusable.
  7. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Their stacking is the main issue I felt. Too strong a dps with their move speed is very strong.
    stuart98 and Quitch like this.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

With the right numbers, a decent grenadier with some aoe could be good for breaking up dox blobs. The low projectile speed means the blobs could be split up to dodge the shots, but that negates their snowball effect slightly. I really don't want to see any more t1 land changes until we add grenadiers to the game and see where to go from there.
  9. Clopse

The problem is if you don't assist one dox with all your dox then you have such a huge disadvantage against a player doing it , not good for gameplay.
    Quitch and stuart98 like this.
  10. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Wouldn't a cheap unit that does light aoe deal with this effectively? You would never want to assist like that if the other side has just a couple of them.
    elodea likes this.
  11. Clopse

Well the unit would have to be as fast as the dox too. And even then making a unit to counter something that shouldnt happen is not a good idea.
    Quitch and stuart98 like this.
  12. elodea

elodea Post Master General

To be honest, bombers are meant to be the counter to this but is harder to get up when you also go dox because they don't provide mutual support for your bombers.

I would not be opposed to aoe dmg tanks that mandated you have more than just dox fighter. I know it's very sc2 like, but it just happens to be a good way to deal with fast, cheap, high dps units. It doesn't need to be fast, just something that synergises with dox in a mixed composition.

Maybe you can even try just a splash damage radius of 1. Something that is effective against blobs, but not really that much against default spacing, though i'm convinced myself that player who builds many bot factories in a proper ladder map will usually lose. Not sure why kittens didnt build tanks instead since there were many chokepoints and no clustered metal or angles for flanking

Anyway like other people said, kool games in this clopsey. Is 50 euro the biggest prize a PA tournament has seen btw?
    Last edited: January 26, 2015
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Pretty sure a couple of lucky people won GTX 770s from Nvidia, and there have been bigger monetary prize pools too :)
    elodea and cptconundrum like this.
  14. Clopse

The blobs also have really good aa because the dox are on assist. Having dox set to assist or patrol gives them 10x better AA.
    Quitch and elodea like this.
  15. Quitch

It was a 40 euro prize for first and a 20 euro prize for second. And no, the biggest first place prize I can recall was £50 (~$78) in December Deadlock. If you look at prize value though then it would be the post-tournament game of Battle of the Beasts which gave away two nVidia GTX 770 graphics card.
    elodea likes this.
  16. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Technically speaking, the largest ever monetary prize pool was this one ;)

(At the time, the prize was worth ~$180, though the value has decreased somewhat)
  17. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

Are the games going up on Youtube?

Alternatively can we at least get a soundbyte of @ZaphodX 's attempts at saying "Streichholzschaechtelchen". I'm told I'm missing out :)
    Bsport likes this.
  18. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I'll be writing my POV and casted games this evening to start going up tomorrow.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

We all know the true greatest prize of all, was the rare theta plushie... An item of such majesty is literally priceless ;)
    trialq likes this.
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

That was also one of mine :D
    cdrkf likes this.