Alpha - Now

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by halosas, September 1, 2014.

1. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Well since raiding heavily fortified planets is already a hard task, shields wouldn't help that situation.
  2. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

well you were just saying that shields isn't nessecary a bad thing as other games have introduced it without them being OP. I would love to have shields in the game and hoping that someone will mod it in the game in the future. Dont give a bloody monkeys about ppl who are so set against turtling, its about being able to play the game how you want to play it, don't need people to dictate how I personally want to play the game, only Uber can do that as its their game, if people want shields then people want shields, there is no great debate about it...

Its a pretty even split 50/50 on wants it, and who doesn't and the majority of people who dont only use 1 type of tactic and thats rushing which at the moment this game is all about. Rush/spread and swarm and only rewards the people that do this the fastest. At least shields add dynamics to the game and actually make you think a bit more tactically about taking a base on instead of the one with most units wins... shields also add structure to your base and can easily be wipped out with the deathstar and sending a planet. I like long games personally and thats just what I like...... whether that is what this game is about or not i still love this game and its one of the best RTS games I've ever played, but that is what a lot of people like... plain and simple.....
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

To me shields have allways meant : turtle, turtle, turtle and as a consequence, games becoming boring, spending all your time trying to produce an unreasonable amount of units in order to break the big turtle. Probably because too much used to supcom/FA i thought it was not possible to think of another RTS without shields. I was wrong. No shields is a key factor for dynamism and very nervous games. It also enforces to build and combine all sorts of units to counter massive attacks. To me, shields would simply kill PA.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Every single turtle who I've played in that situation has LOST to me or my team. Know why? Because I spend all my mex on attacking a single spot - your commander. You cannot focus your Mex into defending against such a massive attack, thipus I kill the comm and win the game....Every. Single. Time.
    EdWood likes this.
  5. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Its their units that have small individual shields, just to make them good at reatreating to then attack again when shields have recharged.
  6. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

a building or a tank, that provides such a shild for his neighbour would help against artillery

no stacking, just some additional hp, that regenerate free
    EdWood and igncom1 like this.
  7. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Actually, Protoss is pretty much the turtle fraction in SC2, because they always need to go for their late-game deathball, as long as it's not about some kind of all-in.

The race also was a bit op until recently.:p
  8. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

they need to play more defensiv because of their low dps/cost ratio until they get giant death machines with lazers
  9. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

That's what i said, you need to turtle to the death-ball. Tbh, i hope that'll get changed in the future/addon. It's not very fun to play or to play against.

Just a bit of irony.^^
  10. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

you cant compare that
  11. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Of course you can. Wow. And if you are right and you can't then that just means the game isn't balanced.
  12. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

the protoss deathball isnt caused by the shields
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Really it just makes sense, the turtler has less metal spots than you therefor less economy. The tutler is also tryimg tl build up a nkce defense as well as some form of offense (often a snipe) wholst the other player has MORE metal spots, more economy and is focusing entirely on breaking that wall and gettimg to your commander.
  14. schuesseled192

Rather significant assumption you are making there.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It has yet to be proven otherwise.
    Geers likes this.
  16. squishypon3

Well it's not too often someone playing the defensive has more metal spots than the person playing offensively. Why is this? Because more metal spots means more of an area the turtle has to defend. Making it harder to play defensively as their base would be further spread out.
  17. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Shields done right won't turn into a turtle... I never lost against someone buildings shields and shields and shields... if done right, they can buy you some precious time... that's all.
  18. schuesseled192

planet = base.

What you guys are describing is not a turtle but a noob. Of course you can beat noobs.
  19. squishypon3

No that's incorrect, I'm describing a turtle on a single planet system actually.