Uh... Performance Drop?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, February 21, 2014.

1. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Running out of VRAM does make a difference, even if you have available RAM. They are not the same kind of RAM.
  2. dinokeymaker

dinokeymaker New Member

I know that GDDR5 isn't the same as DDR3... I'm just telling what in practice I got on my tests, and the performance in game didn't start to decrease until my system ran out of free (I mean "free", not "available") RAM memory (mostly caused by coherent_ui), no matter how full (or even overloaded) my VRAM was
    ooshr32 likes this.
  3. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

If you run out of VRAM I'm pretty sure it swaps out the stuff it doesn't use for the stuff it does with main RAM. If that pipe between them is fat enough the delay shouldn't be super noticeable. If some of that ever caches to disk you are boned tho.
  4. varrak

varrak Official PA

It all depends on the driver. Sometimes it'll keep stuff in system memory (i.e. DRAM) and the GPU will just read across the bus (with PCIe, which all modern systems have now, you can map as much memory as you want across the bus. With AGP it was around 256MB or something, if I remember correctly). If the driver does this intelligently, then you may not notice. If it's dumb, or it just has to churn too much across the bus, then you're hosed.

Intel and integrated AMD systems don't worry about this, since they use a unified memory model (fancy words for sharing memory between the CPU and GPU). That's it's own problem though, since DDR3 bandwidth is way lower than GDDR5.
  5. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Oh you can actually read directly from main memory with pcie? Fancy that.
  6. varrak

varrak Official PA

And... thank you everyone for the data, the info, speculation and observations. There's actually a lot of useful information come out of this thread. Dinokeymaker in particular gets the "made the Uber dev tear up with gratitude" award for going above and beyond.

It would appear we are leaking something - there's something funky going on with particles for sure. But now I have a good idea where to look, so I should be able to track this down. Thanks everyone for the input, and for your patience while we iron out the kinks :)
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Varrak, I'm not sure i understood correctly how rendering is working, and if you could elaborate a little bit further that would be very helpfull and might help me to understand a few performance patterns while in game :
    As far as i understood, there's some stuff performed by the CPU, and then remaining stuff is performed by GPU.
    Now I'm wondering how all the cpu part is working : Is client only computing stuff which is in the field of vision of the player ? Or is it computing stuff which is not in the field of vision at time = t, but could be in the field of vision at time=t+dt if player decides to change the field of vision by (dx,dy,dz) ? I'm asking this, because while covering half of the planet in late game and running at 20FPS, i decided to change my field of vision and move to the other side of the planet which is empty. however, this does not impact at all FPS (nor GPU workload, nor CPU workload). FPS keep at 20. So i'm guessing rendering stuff performed by cpu is working on all possible units that can be virtually seen by the player. However, i guess only the stuff which is to be really displayed is sent to the gpu. I'm wondering how all this is working and if it's possible to multithread it (Many times cpu is burning like for this single thread). i also find it quite a bit strange to have gpu & cpu not at 100% and FPS in late game not being higher than 20 when actually, it's at 120 at the very beginning.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Is there actually any way to turn of PIP?
  9. varrak

varrak Official PA

The PIP shouldn't have any effect of performance if it's not open. You can just click the PIP icon to toggle it on and off.
    drz1 and brianpurkiss like this.
  10. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Good. looking forward to where the problem will be my outdated PC rather than (yet) unoptimised game. Keep us posted, will you.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Oh I though since it opens instantly that it was "open" anyways
  12. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Beta is GOOOOODDDDD
  13. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

It seems that there has also been a performance drop in the UI screens like settings, the main menu, and the new game menu.
  14. varrak

varrak Official PA

There's a new build out as of right now, that includes some fixes I made yesterday. I re-factored how the GPU particle effect system manages memory, to move it to more of a centralized, on-demand "page-based" model rather than trying to determine up front how much it would need. As a result, memory usage is greatly reduced, and this should help a lot of systems in the 512MB and 1GB GPU memory range. It'll also fix some sporadic crashes that we saw over the past few days.

I also found a bug that's been there for a long time (several months) where a logic error was causing particle systems to not get cleaned up properly if they were created far enough away that they never got displayed.

As a result, our latest tests show major improvements in memory usage (at the end of the last playtest, the particle renderer on my machine was using only 10MB, instead of ~160MB which it would have previously), and late-game performance has improved as well (although we're not done there, yet...).

I'd be interested so see how these changes effect performance for you guys - especially those reporting a significant performance drop in the last build.
    Pendaelose, FSN1977, tollman and 6 others like this.
  15. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Does it fix the issues with more than two holodecks?
  16. dinokeymaker

dinokeymaker New Member

After a quick stress test (4 planets, 4 biomes), I'm getting now better fps and performance in general with 'ubber' settings, than with v61450 in 'high' or even medium 'setting'. Excelent job varrak ;)
    Raevn, varrak and chronosoul like this.
  17. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Curiously, I'm getting a new kind of framerate hit whenever I click in the holodeck. Clicking really rapidly drops my framerate in half. Dragging a box over a large group of units will butchers the framerate.
  18. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

My performance has not been too bad. I really think that the area patrol with air units slows the game down. I only built land for most of the last few games I played on the newest patch. But as soon as I started building air towards the end in each game, with them being set on area patrol around my base, the major performance hit starts.

I can post some of the CTRL+P performance screens and other things tomorrow if it occurs again.
  19. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

That is always useful when discussing performance issues. All four stats panels have useful information. Client, GPU, Server, and Sim.
    drz1 likes this.
  20. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Didn't really help my performance.

It still isn't as good as it was on 61250.