Starting at Game Starting Screen BETA

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Hydrofoil, September 26, 2013.

1. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Surely it doesnt take this long to get ina game im starting at a stuttering Starting Game Screen anyone know why im not joining the game?
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

3. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Well im guessing that but i was in a lobby and the game started then i got stuck on that
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wait?

it loads for about 10 minutes. patience is a virtue.
  5. thesonderval

thesonderval Member

10 minutes is a long time though. It also steadily eats more ram over that time. (at least for me)

I cant even start a game though alas. Keep getting sent back to the main menu
  6. Drellgor

Drellgor New Member

Does it always take 10min+ to load a game?
  7. thesonderval

thesonderval Member

I'v been lucky now and its only taken 2. However I spent 10 minutes going back and forth trying to join a game.
  8. jabberwocky42

jabberwocky42 New Member

I'm getting this too - can't even start a game without eating up all my RAM and trying to max out my CPU - guess I'll wait for some more patches...
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please upload your DxDiag.txt
  10. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

I final got onto a game last night about 30 minutes after posting this it took about 10 minutes to load im guessing its a mix of performance issues and server load at the tine alot of people where trying to get on I can understand that

Also I won my first ever game on PA yay me!
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I was having the same issues- after a bit of digging I *think* I've figured out its down to the number of planets in a system.

I think as we've just been given multi planet systems people have been going a little crazy (2 and 3 player games with 16 planets for instance). If you build your own system with less planets and host a game on that its fine (I made one with 2 planets and 1 moon- more than enough to have a quick game- loaded in less than a minute and fit within my RAM).

If you try and join a game that needs more ram than you have it relies on the swap file which is just too slow. I've started another thread on this, I think it would be helpful to get a list of map sizes against ram used during loading as well as at game start (the ram use appears to drop after loading is complete) as this might give us some ballpark figures to work with (e.g. 4gb ram ok up to 5 planets, 8gb needed for 16 etc).
    Hydrofoil likes this.
  12. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Yeh I get the correlation lol makes sense really