Engineer and Commander Deadtime

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by acc8ball, August 15, 2013.

1. acc8ball

acc8ball New Member

I am creating this thread to bring to light the fact that if you have more than a few engineers and commander on the field at the same time, trying to keep them all busy is difficult without some sort of apparatus/sidebar to notify the player when they complete their current build cue. Currently the player has to constantly track and monitor each engineer individually, and if he/she were to lose track of one, they could potentially become useless for the remainder of the game. I understand you can identify the different types of units by their strategic icons, but I believe that there should be a more effective solution for accessing the most necessary and useful units in the game in order to achieve better gameplay for the players. If anyone has any input or would like to forward this onto the designers I would love to chat it out. If this is something that is already in the works that I am just unaware of, then my bad.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I do also hope that the UI will be expanded and that it is a work in progress for either alpha or beta.
  3. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

I agree. Basically there should be a status warning whenever a fabber/commander/factory is idle. I will attempt to solve the problem as soon as time permits.

So I am aware of the problem and intend to deal with it. Feel free to post suggestions.
    acc8ball likes this.
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

WJ, get an image, man. :)
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

You could have a notification button that takes you to idle units, kinda like the idle villager button from AOE.
  6. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

I'm actually kindof surprised that the UI hasn't expanded more than it has. Sure, things like the build bar getting tabs, and I believe combine when different fabbers are selected as a group, but in general, not much has changed.

I know they're working on it, but it seems strange that it hasn't iterated as much as the rest of the project.
  7. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

Probably because there are more pressing issues, like multiplanetary battles and orbital units, the rest of the biomes/planets, etc. UI is important, but much easier to iterate on later when there is more time to spend on less critical features.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I'm guessing a lot of the UI also depends on exposing things from the engine. Even building nukes/anti-nukes is hacked in (hard-coded) at the moment, if you look at the code.
  9. molloy

molloy Member

In TA (with the Demo Recorder anyway) you can hit Ctrl + B to cycle through idle construction units. Worked pretty well for me.

To be honest I don't see anybody zooming in and out and rotating the planet constantly if you've got keyboard shortcuts in there. The main problem is going to be trying to keep the player orientated properly so they can remember which way is up and where the enemy is with all this constant jumping around.
  10. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

You can press F to cycle through idle constructors in PA so that's allready there.

Together with a little icon that shows up whenever you have idles will make it even easier I imagine.

As for the UI, I expect lots of improvements in late beta when they/we know how exactly the gameplay is ending up, how big the scope really will be etc. so UI features can be modelled after what is useful, is really needed and so on.

Edit: Speaking about commander deadtime... raevn's (I think it was him) little mod that shows the commanders health all the time. That's what I first thought about as its a great idea to keep the commander's being dead-time lower. ;)
    acc8ball likes this.
  11. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Apart from an alert upon an engineer becoming idle, will there a repeat build order button eventually?

Also, something something 200th post. :rolleyes: