Refinery Structure Mod: Should I make it?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by TeknoRapture, November 12, 2019.

1. TeknoRapture

TeknoRapture New Member

The general consensus is that a Metal Maker is unneeded and unwanted but I really miss them. I was wondering if there would be any interest in something similar though: a Refinery, which would still "make metal" but only by "enhancing" the mex you have. So I was thinking of making a Refinery which increases the efficiency of any Mex a player has.

Very simply, this structure would use energy and then give a small bonus to every Mex you have. To keep it easy, I would just read the number of Mex a player has and then the Refinery would produce a bonus amount of metal based on that. I'd also use a "rule of diminishing returns" with each refinery producing less and less bonus metal. Also, (if possible) I'd make it on a planet by planet basis so the refineries only produce bonus metal for the mex on that planet.

Another option would be for a running Refinery to consume both Energy and Metal and then, many ticks later, release a bonus amount of Metal, but I can see this causing problems.

So what do you think? Anyone interested? I definitely need help with all the "balances" (ie how much cost to build and run, how much bonus to give, how fast the falloff should be, etc)

Thanks!
    --Tek
  2. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Most of the modding conversations are now occurring in #modding on the PA Discord chat - https://discord.gg/pa
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i say keep it simple
    make a powerconsuming t2 metalmaker that spits out metal per tick
    and change the jig to consume power as well ...

making a bonus giving structure imo would snowball to much with the eco, we did have the problem before that once t2 mexxes are a thing player eco gets quite the boost .... and it just further skyrockets when gasgiants are in play ...
  4. manlebtnureinmal

manlebtnureinmal Active Member

Not possible.

Units in PA cannot change their stats dynamically during the game as a function of some other number in the game.

Modders do not have the ability to route variables into unit statistics.

Units are JSON files; all fields are numerical or strings; there's no support for functions.