How do I precisely position csg?

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by flamingbluewool, March 30, 2018.

1. flamingbluewool

flamingbluewool New Member

I am probably not seeing something obvious, but how can I put csg on a specific spot so that they allign, are eqaul distances from eachother, ect?
  2. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Perhaps @grandhomie will see this and have some words of wisdom. He has a lot of great maps and a lot of them look like they required precision csg placement.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/grand-homies-map-pack.72635/
  3. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

You can use DirectEdit (search for direct in community mods) to edit manually the height / position of CSGs, copy them n degrees along the x/y/z axis, etc.
    This video explains direct edit very well:

(I linked to the part where "rotate about axis" is shown but the whole video is worth watching).
    flamingbluewool and lulamae like this.
  4. flamingbluewool

Thanks! It works great! I can finally produce a map of high enough quality to not cringe on sight.
    I understand why it says to backup systems though... lesson learned.
  5. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

Sweet, glad you got it to work! Post some screenshots once you're happy with your map.

The system editor (& directedit) is great but some parts are indeed a bit buggy; however, once you know where it's a bit finicky you can work around it frustration free.

The key is frequent backups. Do some work on the map then save the map with a new name (bluewoolv0.1) then close it right away and re-open it, do some work, save it as a new name (bluewoolv0.2), close it, etc.
  6. flamingbluewool

Thanks for the hint. One more question, I wish to place something on the poles of the planet, but it appears that (0, 0, radius) doesn't perfectly place a csg on the pole (the center of the model is probably on the edge). How can I determine the coords to place the csg on the pole? I have tried getting the center of the models coords and making them negative/positive but it still is misplaced.
  7. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

From what I can tell, only symmetrical CSGs (platforms for instance) have a center where you expect it to be, so a metal platform on (0,0,radius) will be centered on the north pole. Non symmetrical CSGs (mountains, volcanos, etc) don't really have their center where you expect it to be.