[REL] Custom Skybox

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by superouman, February 16, 2014.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Still works fine for me. Is the blue circle filled in in PAMM? Maybe you accidentally installed and disabled it?
  2. jakeg1

jakeg1 New Member

mod isn't working for me, i've downloaded it through the in-game manager. also the files are now in a slightly different location than previously stated. any ideas on how to fix this? :)
  3. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

The mod was broken by the update. If you have the papa files, you can do what I did and just put those directly into the PA skybox location. Make sure you name them correctly and maybe make a copy of the originals just in case, to avoid reinstall.
  4. sarais

sarais New Member

Edit: Was going to keep this post deleted, but I notice there is Two Skyboxes in my PA folder for skyboxes, but i've only seen the one...? Are these the same , or did uber really make 2 differing skyboxes and only use one?
    Last edited: July 21, 2016
  5. DeathByDenim

They are different, but one is never used. It's quite ugly, so that's probably why. :)
    skybox.jpg
  6. sarais

sarais New Member

Huh. Looks like it was one that was in progress but never finished. It does look real neat though.
  7. DeathByDenim

Well, you can quickly enable it by opening the file "<PA Install Dir>/media/pa/terrain/sky/textures/skybox_01.json" in a text editor and changing all of the "01" to "02".
  8. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

Gonna necro this because the site with the skyboxes is down and curious if anyone has them.
    Also @superouman if you even get back on any shot you could make zip files of them and put them on dropbox or a p[public hosting just in case this happens again?
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

10. DeathByDenim

They are not, but there are links to the Imgur albums which contain the full images, so they should be convertible to the papa format again. I found @superouman on Reddit to ask if that was ok, but he didn't respond. He's also on Twitter, but I don't have that so couldn't try that. Maybe somebody can try that?
  11. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Hello everyone, sorry for the lack of answer. I am guilty of being lazy but i finally moved my *** to find back the picture gallery of the skyboxes after i didn't renew the hosting of my website.

They are all available as albums on my imgur account. Good thing i did that directly at the bneginning : https://superouman.imgur.com/
    lulamae and DeathByDenim like this.
  12. DeathByDenim

Welcome back. :)

Did you want to convert them to mods again? With the newer built-in community mods thingy it's probably easiest to make a separate mod for each custom skybox since the files are harder to access these days.

I can help if you can't be bothered. :)
  13. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Is it feasible to do this using a hi-res Hubble image from NASA?
  14. DeathByDenim

You can, but it would require some editing. The trouble is that you need to have the entire sky, not just a small part of it.
    @superouman wrote a guide at some point that shows the layout of the images you would need to create. In short, you need six images that form the inside of a cube and the images need to match at all of the borders.

Oh, and link: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...-from-space-engine-and-import-it-to-pa.56567/
  15. lulamae

I did play with space engine ad it was pretty cool. Now I'm thinking that I might be better served by superimposing my desired images on those exported skybox images.

shifting gears, can the newly developed .papa files contain images larger than 1024x1024? I ask because I'm currently running my monitor at 1440p and may use the full 4K in the future. My feeling is that starting with a higher resolution image would better preserve the clarity/sharpness.

If I can use a larger image size, is there a limit to the image file size? As I recall, all the .papa files are the same size.
  16. DeathByDenim

I think @zaphodx managed to do it once using the papatran tool, but I not quite sure. They may just be limited to 1024.
    See here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-papa-texture-editor-v0-4-1.56309/page-2#post-874523
  17. lulamae

I downloaded the editor mentioned in this post for making skyboxes
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...-from-space-engine-and-import-it-to-pa.56567/
    but it did not have an executable.

I then downloaded the editor from your link above and tried to open files as per the skybox guide, but it appears to be looking only for textures and doesn't see the .papa files nor the .png files

Am I doing something wrong?
  18. DeathByDenim

I wrote up a tutorial for creating custom skyboxes. You can find it here: https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Example_Mod_Custom_Skybox
    It doesn't even require the use of the texture editor I wrote. Let me know if you run into any trouble and I'll update the tutorial.
  19. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I think I've noticed an issue with using custom skyboxes in that the explosion sprites - the sort of glow-ball has horrible edges on skyboxes other than the default.
    Not quite sure how to fix this.
  20. DeathByDenim

Do you have a screenshot? Or is it somewhere in your videos?