Do you think beta/gamma balance was better than now?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by killerkiwijuice, February 12, 2015.

?

Beta 1v1 Balance VS Current 1v1 Balance?-

1. Beta 1v1 was near perfect

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Beta 1v1 was better, with some huge issues though, including the T2 rush phase

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. The current 1v1 balance is near perfect

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. The current 1v1 balance is better, with huge issues like t1 air spam on large maps

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well I don't doubt you can always find some people who complain. I definitely never agreed with their complaints and never saw anyone actually giving a good reasoning why it is bad. All I can remember is a few, not many, complaints in the sense of "sim city meh" or "expand or die meh" with nothing more bad these meaningless words. Why is it bad? I think that stuff was soooo good we don't even need to discuss it was good. Does sugar taste well? Yeah it does. If you disagree please explain your thoughts in details I can understand. Can't remember anyone writing anything meaningful that made me think "they have a point" in that regard. At all.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'm not saying that I agree with them, I was simply pointing out that not everyone loved the things philoscience raised.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah I never liked not having the option to raid effectively nor do I like not having timings to go t2. There is no insentive at the minute to rush t2 in land games. It's a fine line that I would love if tvinita finds like he done with naval. Larger maps promote t2 more too.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think I can sum up this thread in three words:

Rose Tinted Spectacles
  5. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

For sure to some degree. But I tried to account for this in my post. I still standby what I said - I think the main thing we rememebr fondly was the sprawling expand or die gameplay. Most of the rest of balance was shyte. I never said everyone liked it (obviously impossible!), was just pointing out that I think it is this key feature we're talking about when we reminisce about beta. Back then we used T2 (but too much), and we had to expand like hell. It would be nice to see a balance where t1, t2, and expansion are all viable even in 1v1 scenarios.
    Clopse likes this.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The Beta Balance predates the OP expansion meta as its mex had a cost of 300.
  7. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

T2 timing viability. Yes please.
  8. cola_colin

There is always somebody who likes something. He/she may come out and defend their views :)
  9. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I just checked the first post I ever made on this forum, and it was a thread I made about T1 units being useless, mostly because commander uber cannon spam every second and a commander being able to build walls and turrets while ubercannoning every second, with turrets being way too effective against T1 and useless against T2

Apparently back then my strat was building 8 vanguards and some aa (either spinners or fighters, probably spinners since it means I have to build one less factory) and just thrown them at the enemy base while they're busy actually trying to use T1.

Bonus points if their T1 army tries to avoid my 8 vanguards to snipe my commander, at which point I chain fire them with my belt-fed uber cannon while building walls and turrets and take out their 100 tier 1 army in seconds while barely taking any damage

Definitely don't have the best memories of balance back them, vanguard rush annihilation got boring fast
  10. stuart98

That wasn't beta balance.
  11. cola_colin

"beta balance" is a pretty pointless thing actually. I am pretty sure there were a lot of balance changes during beta as well.
    Quitch likes this.
  12. stuart98

The biggest change before the carpet bombers (Which effectively killed Beta Balance) was the introduction of the light laser tower. It really didn't change much at all for a long while.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Yeah, that's my bad. T2 rush was gamma.
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Alright, well then just to clarify I meant the balance during Master of May tournament and that kind of era.

Does anyone know how to balance air on large 1v1 maps? What about without including new units :p
  15. stuart98

Then congratsulmacations good sir, you have lost everyone and made everyone hate you by calling the heresy that was Gamma Balance the great golden perfection that was Beta Balance.

Don't do that.
  16. killerkiwijuice

Well since gamma was still beta i think my argument still stands. I was hoping people were going to assume that beta included gamma.

Also, the Supernova Showdown.
  17. stuart98

Gamma was not beta. Gamma was Gamma.

Just admit that you dub durped, fix the OP, and pm a mod to fix the poll.
  18. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

If you remember that patch where Scathis was all "T2 is going to make 81 metal!" and everyone was all "Nooooo!" and Scathis was all "YESSSSS!" and a month later everyone was all "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" and Scathis was like "fiiiiine :|", was that in beta or gamma?
    stuart98 and lapsedpacifist like this.
  19. killerkiwijuice

That was in Bemma.
  20. cola_colin

Gamma > Beta... I think. Not sure. Most of those had a lot of proxies. I like proxies.
    stuart98 likes this.