Question about selection with UI mods.

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Schemya, January 18, 2015.

1. Schemya

Schemya New Member

Hi.
    I wanted to see if it was possible to make a UI mod (so no cheats or other server mods), which would show to the player the list of enemy units in an area where he has vision while drag selecting.

The list would revert to the player's army units only, when the mouse button is released. It would enable the player to better assess a threat especially with orbital and air stacking and would be very useful for casters, I suppose.

Unfortunately, it seems it all comes down to a few holodeck functions, which are direct engine calls
    (like engine.call('holodeck.beginDragSelect', this.id, x, y) and engine.call('holodeck.selectMatchingTypes', this.id, option, types)) and I'm guessing there is not much I can do.

Is this accurate ? I have only read a few lines in 3 JS files, so I might be mistaken.

If so, is it by design or just a missing feature ? Is zooming with the right angle as fast as possible a required skill ? Those types of UI limitations make me want to destroy my computer. :-(

If not, what am I missing ?
    Last edited: January 18, 2015
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am pretty sure what you want is totally impossible. Basically the issue is that PA only has the exact API needed to create the functions you see in the default UI. So if your mod cannot be constructed by putting together functions already required by the default UI you are out of luck. And I doubt there ever was a need for a "box select enemy units" function. I doubt this would even be possible if you allowed the usage of server mods. Even if you had a mod inside the client of your opponent it would be pretty much impossible.

I agree we need more API in for these things.
    Schemya likes this.
  3. Schemya

Schemya New Member

OK, it's a pity.

Thanks ! :)