Coach me on 1v1s

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by thetrophysystem, October 29, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Note, I will never be top-of-forums type of player. However, my experiences with 1v1 so far are as follows:

Judging by those 3 videos, I got out-played 2 times, no surprises, and the 3rd time was actually a rematch against a guy that beat me, that I beat with a cheap tactic that probably isn't viable outside of a "lucky situation I reacted to in order to steal a cheap victory". Thanks Mered4.

So, in light of that, from what I do from the very start, what other paths can I do better? Dox is apparently much more cruise control for easy-win, if I didn't know better tanks are very scarce in numbers for their cost even for their survivability.

This is based off the fact that I have played many different builds, less frequently recently than anything. I remember tanks being greater in numbers only because of a time before dox cost reduction. I remember t2 because it used to be a huge jump even if you have 6 mexes and 100 t1 units. I remember turrets because they also used to be OP in a build. I know turrets currently sometimes work against dox. I just don't get how to hit someone as freaking early as current dox's allow, in a way to win a game in an impactful way early on.

The easy answer would be to make turrets, tanks, and t2 as viable as dox. Lol. Also, another easy answer is being a bomber-****, and I might start trying that (shrug).
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I wrote a really long post on how you can improve but needing to log in as ip changed lost the whole message....

Dox on area patrol is bad
    T2 is not good enough with current balance.
    Learn a standard build for more factories earlier.
    Attack is better than defence ( unless you are bolos)
    I'm starting to use turrets more, just t1 as pretty good against early dox raids.

I can play a few games with you later (10 hours) if you like.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  3. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

^

What the drunk Irishman said :D Teehee!
    xankar and Clopse like this.
  4. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

I personally have a great preference for air in combination for dox and tank. (tanks later in the game). The bombers can take out so many raiding dox its amazing! and can also ruin the expansion of your opponent fast. They need to be babysit though and with them current glitches it is hard to manage them including your dox and your base. But its doable and it works fantastic so far. But yeah you still need dox and a lot of them.

On the other hand its also map dependend, Some maps favor tanks more than others especially when you spawn close to each other.
    mishtakashi likes this.
  5. thetrophysystem

This sounds like what clopse said.

@reptarking

i will try this to start with. Reluctant to, but I figured getting stuck in the bronze league would stick me with easier, and it hasn't, so doing this puts me somewhere to start.

Then, I might start mixing it up with bombers or booms.
  6. thetrophysystem

I am not sure whether to be proud of myself or not. I feel dirty. Like a girl that wanted guys to like me a lot so I acted slutty, and got results but at what cost? Bad comparisons aside, the bot thing works very easily sadly. Against someone else doing it, prob not so.

Well, good news is there is hopefully a new vanilla balance patch coming soon.
  7. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Where do you have this from?
  8. thetrophysystem

Off topic, don't challenge my authority, and last but not least...

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/some-thoughts-on-balance.65635/

That thread is first page general discussion, made by a red forum name (read: uber dev). So it isn't spreading unfounded lies and undeserved hype. I mean, hype is bad anyway, all I said, is at least they are looking at it and I am excited whenever it is be it this month or early next year idrc.
  9. thetrophysystem

You mean like this? Tbh, I reacted to build tanks and then air. I noticed I was losing the dox war and was only able to defend and not attack. The tanks occuped a lot of enemy time to kill but weren't very effective in killing dox or even making it a short distance to a base, but I guess I would build them again.

The real winner WAS in fact the bombers, they don't feel viable first-factory since you can't get enough of them to use just them, but as you build dox you occasionally get 4 bombers and when you do you can spread them and then move-click past a dox army, resulting in them flying over top of them shoulder to shoulder spread apart, so they can't dodge. If they aren't paying attention to that blob (and it is sad you have to strategically guess which bot blob he isn't paying attention to), it scores the whole thing as a kill without a loss. If they are, you get some dodge and some losses but the blob will still lose half their size or more. The bigger the blob, the more they lose. Then, when you thin out theirs yours can trample past them.

This 1v1 balance isn't bad in this case, but it isn't great either. Sadly, the bots were supposed to have a supportive role, but they are the main role while tanks are only used scarcely as utility (aa, close range structure demolition, wtf right?). Backwards results achieved.
  10. Clopse

Just had a quick skim through this game. I'm guessing you don't like icon wars. I feel it's much better. If he went 6 veh factories instead of 3 and 3 he would have won.

The reason you build dox is to raid. You built them to support tanks which is not their strenght. Just take 2 groups of 8 and send them down his left and right flank to make him decide what to do. When you just send all units to x position and move them at the same speed is not clever play. you should only build infernos when you want to break through something. I would have just kited your big armies with 6 tanks and won each engage.

But main lesson I would give is to pick any amount of units and send them around his flanks. Takes two clicks for you and maybe 10 for him.
    zihuatanejo and elodea like this.
  11. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

I'll look at the video later today. But in my experience in high level 1v1's tanks make up most of your army And will rek the day of dox rushers.. However... Someone who know's what he is doing with his dox might get really tricky really fast. Because if you go tanks you need to hold out and use the terrain. The tyope of unit you go for early game depends 100% on your spawn. (Or you might go for some cheesy rush strat :p)

And.. Gotta love them bombers man.
  12. thetrophysystem

I will try this next time with the first 4-6 dox I build. I will literally send them all in opposite directions in a straight line, upon finding something will rally them around the perimeters on all sides, and send 1 in on each side to try and probe for a fabber kill.

Oh, as far as late game however, or mid game for that fact, he just had too many substancial blobs of dox in too many places to spread mine into 2 masses and send in any 2 directions for any to get by. His dox would also move to support existing blobs. His were too blobbed up and too spread out. I did the same, which is why I lost nearly no economy, his raids failed because I scattered enough pockets of large enough dox. I just couldn't wiggle my way into him either though.

Perhaps if I could have spread all my dox through the backdoor and cause his to spread with them, I could have sent tanks in through the front to kill structures.
    Clopse likes this.
  13. Clopse

Now your talking :D