Unit Request: Affordable carpet nukes

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by wandomvandom, September 12, 2014.

1. wandomvandom

wandomvandom New Member

So me and a friend were playing a few games where we would challenge ourselves to do silly stuff. One game we wanted to carpet nuke a planet. After a very long hour we got our wish. 233250_screenshots_2014-09-06_00001.jpg
    233250_screenshots_2014-09-06_00016.jpg

Looks awesome, but at what cost? If you look closely, our income was a crazy 20k metal and 5m energy.
    Even with all that income, our eco was stalled for about half an hour to build enough nukes(350) for this screenshot. After all the nukes fell one of the ais even survived the bombardment. All of them probably would have survived, but we sniped all their anti nuke launchers. Must have missed one I guess.

The conclusion we came to was that this was one of the coolest things in PA, that sadly few will ever see. It was not entirely effective, despite us giving it the best conditions we could, and required a ridiculous time and resource investment. So lets fix that.

I propose we add a new super weapon that can make affordable carpet nukes a reality!

The final say of course is with Uber, and I'm sure there are a bunch of forum members that could come up with some great ideas for what it looks like, how it could function, and how it could be more easily implemented. Or maybe something completely different.

So let me get the ball rolling with my own idea. Taking inspiration from the SOASE Kostura cannon, and AC6 Chandelier, I picture something similar in size and shape to the long awaited unit cannon. However, rather than firing hundreds of cheap, targeted, nukes, it fires large, expensive, high speed shells. When these shells reach the targeted planets orbital layer, they split off into hundreds of nukes that carpet bomb the entire planet. This reduces the potential lag and eyesore of hundreds of nukes flying around in the system view. It could also be balanced, and targeted, similarly to how halleys work, needing a certain number built and ready to fire, in order to target a planet.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They nerfed nukes pretty hard, they cost even more than a Halley at the moment.

The reason? Because nuke spam used to be the meta, Uber has a tendency to overnerf or overbuff something- so hopefully we can get it to reasonable prices. It's been slooowly dropping in price lately.
    killzone5017002 likes this.
  3. wandomvandom

wandomvandom New Member

It wasn't just that nukes got nerfed, but anti nukes got buffed, they were garbage back then. Anyways its not about reducing the price of nukes to make carpet nuking planets viable. If I had used even just 1/10 of the nukes (35 nukes) to target the enemies base, I could have ended that game several times over. Its because of the massive difference in effectiveness between the two that I think carpet nuking planets should be it's own thing.
  4. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Try that with smaller planets. :cool:
  5. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

I would love to see other missile types from the nuke launcher. If there was a cheaper, less powerful missile you could carpet bomb more easily and it wouldn't be a game-ender.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  6. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I think the current nuke situation is quite nicely balanced. Nukes only become viable when you are on one planet and your opponent is on the other, in this case you have the resources to build nukes.. If they become cheaper, All someone has to do is rush a single nuke and hit your commander, really not fun at all :(

I really hope we don't go back to those days..

Carpet nukes would look cool, i agree but seeing as anti nuke only has three shots, it would really unbalance the game. Pa would just turn into he who builds carpet nukes first wins.
  7. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

why not orbital bombardment?

[​IMG]
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You mean like the SXX laser satellite? (But with more explosions? :))
  9. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

More orbital units the better :D
  10. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

I imagine the anti-nuke missiles could split as well. In the case of a nuke, all smaller anti-nuke missiles hit the same nuke and take it out. In the case of carpet-bombing the anti-nuke missiles hit the different smaller nukes and take those out as well.
  11. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Yea, it would be cool to have a nuke which had planetary firing randomness to it, but was very cheap.
  12. PrinceAAwe

PrinceAAwe Member

You mean something like this?
  13. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

That looks awesome, but not like that lol. Something similair to carpet bombing with nukes. Not a big *** stick penetrating mother earth's body. *Giggity*
  14. plague11

plague11 Member

yes they should add rail guns that would be so awesome or some short of kintiec bombarment weapon either land or space based i could care less which one they choose i just hope that is get added in the near future
  15. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

No just no. Nukes are where they should be, if you have eco and are too lazy to win hard way you nuke losing side.

All we need is area attack command for multiple nuke launchers, so we do not click 20 times between 2 planets to nuke enemy.
  16. Geers

Geers Post Master General

You mean like what we've had for months now?

17. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Cool, Is that mod or implemented in game?
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

That's been in the game for about 3 months now, if not more.
  19. plague11

plague11 Member

true so way why no rail guns hmm? its cool and its far cheaper than a nuke In many respects i mean your launching a project faster than Mach 7 or even faster with no gun powder or fuel just electro magents. doesn't that just sound awesome also if give plenty of energy it can have the force greater than the Tsar Bomba.
  20. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

You mean something like a MIRV or MRV:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_independently_targetable_reentry_vehicle

I have been thinking along those lines too:
    Make Warheads and missiles a seperate resource for the Silo that has to be build seperately. Interplanetary missiles cost more then planetary ones. Firing multiple warheads per missiles costs more then single nukes (simply because you use up more warheads).

You can also change how many warheads per Shoot you want to fire, i.e. you could fire a single IP MIRV.
    A planetary (intercontinental) single warhead nuke would be a lot cheaper, however (both missile cost and used amount of warheads).

As far as I heard there used to be a seperation between IP and IC nukes, wich was later removed due to complexity and balancing reasons.

Yes. And no.
    Due to issues with the orbital invasion game going for a nuke can be much cheaper and faster then trying your hand at orbital invasion.
    Especially when you consider SimSpeed. You need a distinct eco advantage to make a orbital invasions right now.

I still agree there cost seems about right. It is just not often a solution to do orbital invasions. Of course that does heavily depend on system design:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/lets-talk-system-design-or-how-to-avoid-stalemates.65331/