YouTube Subtitles

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, April 23, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I started trying to do a pass on this, because we've had a number of requests to caption our videos (for people who either need to listen with sound off or english isn't their main language, and frankly, we're not public speakers, so listening to us talk isn't always easy).

I'm not gonna sticky this post, but if some intrepid souls are interested in helping, would very much appreciate it.

I've attached the file, and only the first minute (of 25 or so) is actually corrected yet. You'll notice I've cleaned up the captions a bit (removed a lot of the extraneous uhms and uhs that fill the space, and just make it more confusing for someone to read who isn't an english speaker)

If you decide to help, just post and list the section you're updating, and upload your changes when done so if someone else takes over, they know where to start (use the starting time stamp for that section as your "stopped at" note).

I'm basically putting this here, because if I do it all myself, it will be Sunday or Monday (and probably a lot of scotch) before I have enough time to finish it. >.<

Some of the auto generated translations are pretty hilarious.

Attached Files:

2. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Maybe if we divide it by minutes? Like each person does 5 minutes. I could do the first 5 if we can organize something properly :mrgreen:

Edit: first 5 minutes done, I'll go and do 5 more

Edit 2: 7:54 minutes done. After Jon's uhh's and Steve's horrible articulation, my brain refuses to function properly. If nobody continues I can do more tomorrow after my brain rests. I have a cool sub editor and I've done subbing before so it goes pretty fast usually but when programmers speak, oh my :lol:

Attached Files:

3. ubersoldier501

ubersoldier501 Member

I find it's rather hard to sub something when there's more "uh..." in a sentence then actual words. XD

I've decided to take a crack at it, I've got to about 10 minutes, but I've got pretty much nothing to do so I'll keep going till I get bored lol.

I'll edit and update when I decided to pass it off. :p

-----EDIT! It's finished!-----
    Here's the finished transcript, if someone can take a read over it, to double check I haven't forgotten anything. I wasn't sure on what level I should be "subbing", so I basically just wrote everything that was said. I haven't messed with many time codes either, only about 2 or 3 that only had like, one word in it, and there wasn't a pause or anything in the video so there was no need to keep the extra time coded sub.

If that makes sense. XD

Attached Files:

4. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I'll do corrections and add punctuation and then we should be good. Gimme 20 mins :mrgreen:
  5. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Still waiting ;-)

By the way, if needed, i can translate the file (in French).
  6. syox

syox Member

can i load and edit *.sbv with editor/notepad or do i need special things?
  7. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

There you go, I went through it twice and I believe everything has been corrected. Most of the uhh's and you know's have been removed, the spelling and punctuation is correct and it should be good to go :mrgreen:

PS. If someone is interested, this is how it looks like: http://puu.sh/2GdHV.jpg

Attached Files:

8. scifiz

scifiz Member

Generally, you can find out for any file by trying to open it in notepad. (Drag&Drop)
    If you get gibberish, the answer is no.
    If you get readable text without new lines, you probably need a better editor. (eg. linux compatible)
    If you get readable text with new lines, you are good to go.

At the end, if you use Save As, select *.* as the File format so you can specify an extension. If you use Save it will automatically use the existing extension.

A quick google search suggests sbv are plain text files.
  9. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

I've started to do a quick and hopefully not so dirty French translation of the subs from the first version of iampetard. (some punctuation are missing also)

I've done about the first 8 minutes but I'm lacking of time to continue and I started to not understand some strange sentences. So I stopped.

Hopefully, someone will take some times to continue and review my work.

Attached Files:

10. garat

You guys.. seriously. I'm not figuring out how to upload the file so it works with YouTube.

I'll have to figure out how to do alternate language tracks next. :)
  11. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Here is my correction of your work iampetard.

Pretty good job !
    (and cutting all the "you know", "hu", "hun" was certainly a loong task :D )
    Only corrected a very few things.

File in attachment !
  12. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Petard, Ubersoldier and Neumeusis UberCaptionists \m/><
  13. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

High Five Guys !
  14. crseth

crseth Member

I can help translate to Spanish if needed :D
  15. scifiz

scifiz Member

Finding out how to upload is easier than finding out how to add multiple languages.

Incidentally, should you not work out how to do multiple languages a possible alternative is to provide translations in a format accepted by VLC Player. Then users can load the yt video in VLC and add the translation file ontop.
    At least until Google break VLC's YT interface again.
  16. garat

The first set of captions are up. Thanks so much! Only had one fix, and that was a personal ego thing (Marc vs. Mark) ;-)

If any of you are crazy enough to do full translations, I figured out how to post them, it's pretty easy to do with YouTube now that I know how their captioning system works.
  17. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

I found that if you associate the file to open with Wordpad in Windows, it opens it perfectly. Notepad works, but all the text is together, so it is a nightmare to space out.

I'll work on a Spanish Translation. Now that the semester is over, I have time :)
  18. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Seeing as how you got about 2-2:30 hours of PA videos if I'm correct, that is about $750 worth of subbing according to the standard rate for such work. I could do about 10 more mins and some corrections for free but that's all from me, bit too poor for long time free captioning :mrgreen:
  19. syox

syox Member

Says the guy who wants to make money with PA casts.... :twisted:
  20. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Reward them with Uber currency. Link Fink from Bioshock Infinite! Wouldn't want them being ripped off by other companies!