Your favorite quotes

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Arachnis, February 3, 2014.

1. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

The thread idea is simple. Let's share our favorite quotes.

I'll make the start:

Last edited: February 3, 2014
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

3. teju__

teju__ Active Member

First quote I could think of. Not exactly sure why. :confused:
  4. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I forgot the most important one! :)

- Edna St. Vincent Millay
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The point of war isn't to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his.
    -George S. Patton

I do not know what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -Albert Einstein

Yes, I was a HUGE buff on Call of Duty Classic. Back in the day. Back when it was the most skillful military shooter you had. The weapons were so underpowered all around. You had to force them to work right. You had to position your enemy and know about them in advance to get the opening for a kill. You had to watch carefully for guys coming out of nowhere.

One of my less faves:

A man will work long and hard for a piece of colored ribbon.
    -Napoleon Bonaparte
  6. Orome

Orome Well-Known Member

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he is hiding it from you. if a man is wearing his pants on his head or says words backwards from time to time, you know he is all laid out there for you. but if he is friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often then not it means he is done something even his own ma couldn't forgive."
    No-bark Noonan from fallout new vegas.
  7. arseface

arseface Post Master General

“Hard work may pay off in the long run, but the benefits of laziness are immediate"
    Marc Acito
    Arachnis likes this.
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

9. patema

patema Active Member

"I can kill anything that has life, even if that thing is God."
    [​IMG]
  10. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

“It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”
    -Carl Sagan
    Arachnis likes this.
  11. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

We are, when viewed upon with eyes muddled by the earth, in the situation of train passengers stranded in a long tunnel, exactly at a point where you can no longer see the light of the entrance, but where the light of the exit is so small, that the vision constantly has to retrieve it and has always lost it. But everywhere around around us we see, in the confusion of the senses or in the over sensitivity of the senses, nothing but monsters and, according to the mood and wounds of the individual, a delectable or an exhausting kaleidoscopic spectacle.
    What shall I do? Or: Why will I do it? aren't questions of these places.

-Franz Kafka, Trainpassengers (my own translation so it's a bit weird in places)
    Last edited: February 4, 2014
    Arachnis likes this.
  12. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

This quote always leaves me waiting, mentally.
    Arachnis likes this.
  13. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

"You met him on the internet! He's gonna eat your liver!" - My spouse's friend, talking about me, before we met in person about 18 years ago.
    Arachnis and thetrophysystem like this.
  14. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

It is not the critic who counts; nor the one who points out how the strong person stumbled, or where the doer of a deed could have done better.

The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who does actually strive to do deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends oneself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he or she fails, at least fails while daring greatly.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

Especially that last paragraph