You want better balance?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by stuart98, November 26, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Then click here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-galactic-annihilation-titans.70525/

Uber hasn't given any evidence that they're working on the balance (or on the game at all). If you want to b*tch about balance, then you might as well be playing a version of the game that's still being developed and you might as well do your b*tching to someone who's actually paying attention.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Things that never change ever on the Uber forums:

Colin is moderator and never sleeps.
    CDKRF likes to argue with me when I'm actually here.
    Violet is always yelling for some reason.
    Geers is the GIF king.
    And Stuart always posts a promotional thread about his newest balance mod every month. He has yet to succeed in making them stick.
  3. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I just noticed that cola colin isn't online! I think pa is dead now.
    Nicb1, andreasgg, igncom1 and 3 others like this.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I should take more screen shots...
    Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Anyhows I wouldn't mind a better balance. Just find me a good player or two to play with and I'll try anything. Hard to get a game these days.
    cdrkf, ljfed and stuart98 like this.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Lol... Guess I probably should forum less haha.
  7. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

IF think if you compare with a lot of other games this game is pretty muched good balanced. Yes there are things that are wrong (no zeuw counter short respond time on underground nuke unit bumping abuse and so on and so on).
    But the truth is the game has to end somehow. There is no point in keeping a game between evenly matched players go on forever. you need unstoppable breakpoints in a game to determen a winner and there are more of them so not a big problem here.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Usually that break point is because of players, rather then the game.

And that is a very very very good thing.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

you forgot nosebreaker speaking in third person ...

the nosebreaker may not like this ...

.... ..... i am sooo sorry ....
    igncom1, stuart98 and tunsel11 like this.
  10. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Because there is only one faction, and every player can always build any units that they want, it's not really even appropriate to talk about "balance" since it's always a fair contest. The design might be poor which would make it not a very interesting contest, but it can never be an imbalanced game, by definition.

And on the design front PA has made a lot of progress and developed a lot of interesting interactions in the last year. I still think there's a ways to go, but it's now subtle stuff and nothing along the lines of 'this entire dimension/feature is missing.'

The biggest design problem is that air (and orbital) are really not very tactically interesting. Fighter vs fighter is literally just comparing group size, with no tactics whatsoever. What PA needs is to have a robust ground war which determines what happens in the skies, and not having an air war that allows controlling huge land areas, ignoring terrain and sea obstacles when they are an issue.

Every single planet is the same in an air war. That needs to change. Powerful, long range surface to air weapons, and in a perfect world, air staging for flying units that gives them a need for you to control land features instead of totally ignoring them.
  11. MrTBSC

aa of the game is totaly fine as it is..
    aircraftstaging you may best do how it´s done in C&C with aircraft needing to be rearmed but with building like 50 to a hundred units that may be too much of a nerf or you would need to increase the effectivness of aircraft both in armor and damageoutput while also increasing their cost to keep the average airunitcount low

another way to maybe ballance air is to decrease overall airspeed

to make air and orbital however tacticaly intresting has imo not much to do with current ballance but adding the apropriate units for such tactics ... which to me are still sturdy multiunittransports
    or different use of air fabricators ... airplay lacks utility
    and orbital in 1v1 is often too expensive (and way too visible) to be viable especialy when it comes to lategamescouting
    Last edited: December 19, 2015
  12. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

A smaller number of planes which are individually more powerful, and which have logistical needs, act more as air support for ground forces than a skyhorde that descends and obliterates an enemy army by itself.

Air staging would be a huge game changer for aircraft. Bombers would need to go back and forth between a friendly base and the front lines, rather than be ultra-speedy special forces way behind the lines with no dependence on anything except not flying directly into a single enemy formation containing too much AA. Also, air staging lays the foundation for orbital staging units (space carriers/space station bases), which would both be strategically interesting and extremely cool.

Also, making 'orbital planes' instead of surface airplanes would allow vision separation between air and land units. Orbital planes might have huge orbital vision, but zero surface vision, meaning you would need a ground presence in order to spot for your air strikes. You couldn't just send a huge air army directly into an area where you know enemy should be, since they will be unable to spot targets for themselves, and will be shot down by AA they can't see.

I agree that planes which are using air staging and with separated vision can be made vastly more powerful for the same cost. Much larger bomb payloads with bigger explosions, higher damage missiles, etc. But these planes will demand combined arms, since you will be unable to make a massive plane stack and just spam to victory with speed and overwhelming local numbers. Limitations like having finite munitions, and lacking their own vision of ground units, are very important to compensate for their sheer mobility.

Planes need serious limitations that force combined arms. Even reducing their damage or HP can never solve this problem, as this just makes the spam threshold required before the airblob runs away with the entire game even higher.
  13. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Your knowledge of the air game seems outdated. Air is only strong on certain map types. The addition of cheaper t2, flak units etc means you can slowly expand without air dominance, get t2 and creep your blog of t2/t1 units into their base. Very hard to defend against this with so much wasted income in air.

Maps with long distances between Mex and to the opponent are favored for the air player. But you can counter by raiding with dox while expanding. The air player will have to spend a lot of time putting out these small fires etc.

Even for players with high apm, it's usually select all air, I have never seen anyone split their air into several groups and me able to micro manage attacking aa/ the perfect space on the blob of dox to attack.

There are loads of tactics for fighter fighting too. Of course if you have 100 fighter and me 10 you will win. But if you have 100 and me 30, I could kill them all if you weren't paying attention. It's micro orientated and muscle memory but definitely worth it.
  14. romeosov

romeosov Member

OMG like the people say in my lands.... jalate por las caguamas que ya se prendio el serro

Bro you need a break xDD
  15. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

wtf this was 22 months ago
  16. hightraffic

hightraffic New Member

i love playing 3v3 shared single planet
  17. MrTBSC

18. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Not again!
  19. nimzodragonlord

nimzodragonlord Member

..- -. ..-. --- .-. - ..- -. .- - . .-.. -.-- / .-- . / ... . . -- / - --- / -... . / .... . .- -.. . -.. / -.. --- .-- -. / - .... .- - / .--. .- - .... / --- -. -.-. . / -- --- .-. .
  20. MrTBSC

wrong thread guys!