Wow, So many new players!

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by marceloxlr, July 6, 2011.

1. marceloxlr

marceloxlr New Member

before this sale, i saw, like, 10 servers MAX.

Now i can easily see 50+ servers!

Good move, uber!
  2. Dubblebass

Dubblebass New Member

Yep, I hope more stick around this time than after the last sale. :)
  3. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

They won't stick around.

Most of them are stubborn assassins or assaults and the rest who are not at least trying to learn are just here for the sale.
  4. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

First off, a front page MNC summer camp art was a great move.

1 out of 10 will stay, I'd say. Awful lot of don't-listen-no-bot-kill players out there. They also tend to log onto 5 star servers for whoopings, go figure.
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Let me guess, it's the lack of tutorials that is driving them away? :p
  6. NeoCyberman

No its the frustration that when that select few realize what the gameplay is about they realize their teammates suck but they must rely on their competence. The beginning learning curve is tough but once you get "there" you have to now suffer dealing with bad players.

Also bad communication.
  7. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

I'd say a heavy factor would be players realizing the game is actually harder than most derphead shooters, self-defense mechanizing, and thinking "durr hurr this game is stupid 4 bucks I'm gonna play free tf2 and spy all day"
  8. Dubblebass

Dubblebass New Member

Hey, I came aboard during the last sale (few weeks ago) and I have stuck around...and I have no plans on leaving. I love this game. :D
  9. white-o2

white-o2 New Member

Saw you in game just now gray fox. I think its because all the other servers are full thats why some players move to the higher ping ones.

Too little asia servers now.
  10. corducken

corducken Member

Actually last night we had a nice little Q&A session for a few maps in one server before some serious guy player had to ruin it by making me unable to give tips without shooting me in the ***. Things fell apart after a while when people left because it was late, but for a few maps we had a nice stalemate running because everyone knew what to do but the new players couldn't work up the courage to hit the enemy base. It was relatively nice.

I wish more players would ask questions like those players did. BECAUSE KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE.
  11. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

How hard is it to link this website in the game? I don't mean that sarcastically, how hard would it really be? Because Uber should totally do that. I tell people to come here for tips and they accuse me of being a spambot.
  12. jockhockey

jockhockey New Member

Yea that would be good, I had no Idea of this site untill I needed help then I found this jewel :D
  13. Dubblebass

Dubblebass New Member

Yeah, there is a lot of great info here...particularly with the lack of in game training. ;-)

it is tough because there are some obvious things you might know that you don't know (like what the star rating is and what is means on servers, or what gold, silver, and bronze should I be slotting) but there are a lot of things you don't even know that you don't know and this is a great place to find those out.
  14. NeoCyberman

Its a great idea and I too wonder how much resources would it take.
  15. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

As much as I do agree tutorials are needed I don't think "playable" ones are. A video for each class should do it, don't you all think?

I say this because less time Uber spends on frivolous additions the more time they can spend on content and such. Especially coming for an MNC XBox player.
  16. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

30 minutes to make a tip and maybe add a button in the main menu? I don't know anything about coding, maybe it's not so simple as it seems.
  17. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

I'd say a quick vid of each class's strengths and weaknesses and what players should focus on with the class would be fine. Basic strategies, and finally an optional solo mode for players to simply experiment with their class with the option of a training bot that can morph into the various classes for players to practice with.
  18. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Like this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L5DMVWP0AM
  19. Dubblebass

Dubblebass New Member

No, I don't think they need playable demos per se'. Vids for each class would help but even just a lexicon of game items would be awesome. Explain the star rating, drive home the importance of pushing your bots and denying theirs. Explain the similarities and differences of the turrets and bots in detail that really pertains to game play. Explain what the enhancements really do. Explain juice and how to use it; hell, I didn't even know you could buy it for a while. Explain some of the basic physics of some abilities such as Air Strike. It SHOULD be obvious that throwing an Air Strike beacon under a bridge would have the strike land on top of the bridge and not where you throw the beacon, but with everything there is to learn, you might not think of things like that.

There is a lot to learn in this game and not enough of the new players make it here to read the info. There is so little included in the game that it could become daunting to new players that just don't get the nuances without a little "hit you in the face" material.
  20. NeoCyberman

This discussion sounds all too familiar.

It is almost as if no matter how old the players they always come to these conclutions. Really says something about how necessary Video tutorials/Link to the Forum/Playable demo is.

I'd go with playable demo if it was not for Uber's limited resources. I'd prefer User submitted videos to be put in game with the link to the forums.

High quality, no speech clips of video displaying the classes role and skills. Text added later with credit to the creator in the credits.