Would you play a PA MOBA?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by philoscience, November 23, 2014.

?

Would you play a PA MOBA mod?

1. Strongly agree

13.2%
  2. Agree

17.6%
  3. Neither agree nor disagree

18.7%
  4. Disagree

7.7%
  5. Strongly Disagree

42.9%
  1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Now that we are starting to get some real map editor tools, and others have figured out ways to give Commanders a set of abilities that can be swapped in or out at the beginning of a match, it seems like we have the possibility of following RTS history by making a PA MOBA. What we need is:

1. A commander ability system
    2. Maps with dedicated lanes
    3. Maps with prebuilt factories at a set build rate, that can maybe be upgraded to T2
    4. A system for accruing XP or cash
    1-3 are already possible using cheats and mods. I'm not sure about 4- if nothing else perhaps one could make wrecks super fast to reclaim and convert the economy to metal only. That might do it. CPT conundrum has already partially solved 1. I'm sure at first it would be a bit dinky, but it could actually evolve into something fun! I think there are already some moba elements in PA gameplay - just look at the old days of super commander rushing or comboxing!

What do you think, if someone made this mod, would you play a PA dota? Like comboxing but on steroids, with special abilities, creeps, and upgrades!

Mod request thread here:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/req-defense-of-the-archon-moba-mod.66103/
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Referring to your idea as "MOBA" sets it firmly into the "no" for me

Now, if you said "Would you play a MECHWARRIOR PA Mod" then it would be a resounding yes

I think I might be biased against MOBA as a concept
    lokiCML, xankar and philoscience like this.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

The answers for the poll are nonsensical.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  4. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

maybe would be fun, but depends strongly on how it is implemented, and if it still hast some PA feeling in the end, or if it's just a bad copy of LoL or DotA
  5. philoscience

How are they nonsensical exactly? They are standard likert scale responses. The question is "would you play a PA MOBA" and the answers range from "definitely agree" to "definitely disagree". Trouble reading Geers?
  6. Geers

Because they don't make grammatical sense.
    "Would you like some popcorn?"
    "I agree!"

See?
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

To be fair, it's standard polling procedure. Grammar goes by the wayside in an attempt to make them as unbiased as possible. I hate them for it but it works.
    corteks and philoscience like this.
  8. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

...have you actually never participated in an official poll before? This is the format.

Stop complaining about the poll, he's just posed an idea for an extremely ambitious mod and all
    you can do is call him out on his grammar.

On topic: it's a cool idea, and I'd play it for a laugh a few times, but honestly I can't really see how it would be anything other than a more limiting version of other MOBAs, given the constraints on what modders can do atm.
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. philoscience

Yes, technically I could have worded the poll like "I would like to play a PA MOBA" and then it would be grammatically correct but FFS.

/endderail

I would definitely play it. A super evolution of comboxing in a robot genre would be wicked!
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

we are already playing a "MOBA"
    as for a dotastyle Team -hero/commrushgame .... meh
  11. philoscience

Uh... no, your wrong. MOBA refers to the RTS sub-variant "action RPG", aka DOTA, LoL, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_online_battle_arena

Why do my threads always attract the smart *** commenters? Sigh, time to put you back on my ignored user list.
  12. philoscience

Yeah I do agree at first it would be particularly limited. But recall that DOTA itself came out of a totally homebrew mod of WC3. So it is practically RTS history to spawn a little moba. I think there could be some things that make it unique in PA. If only we could more imaginative comments and less nitpicking complaints about my terminology, we might have that discussion!
  13. MrTBSC

yeah go cry me a river
    way to show how mature you are with such responses .. but whatever ..
    Last edited: November 23, 2014
  14. Geers

Calm down people, I didn't set fire to his kittens.
    squishypon3 and Clopse like this.
  15. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Strongly agree.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well actually- he is technically right PA is *sometimes* a MOBA by definition, but honestly we all know he knew what you meant, MrTBSC just likes to prove people wrong (or argue?) I guess? :S

For reference (don't hate me);

1. MOBA

2. MOBA is a genre definition for multi-player games where not only two parties struggle for resources or attack/defend, but each party/person is against all others in a confined space, therefore the term arena .
  17. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Never said you did, it's just boring when someone poses an idea and everyone picks up on his diction or a grammar slip instead.

Oh look! We're still not talking about his idea.

This is the PA forum, if you having something to say relevant to PA, post. If not, keep quiet.

On topic: I'm not sure philoscience, I know the original dota arose as a WCIII mod (I even played it a tiny bit) but I kinda feel like Warcraft was a lot more well suited to that sort of game mode than PA. If you think you can make something fresh then go for it, but it'd be a waste to sink hours and hours into it only to come out with a less varied dota clone.

Maybe elements of a tower defence would tie in well with a PA moba game mode? Hmmm.
    lokiCML and philoscience like this.
  18. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

The only thing PA got different to other Moba is a mech theme and 3d maps which would change the play to a certain extent.
    philoscience likes this.
  19. MrTBSC

i like to discuss stuff in general ... feel free to prove me wrong ... doesnt mean i/you have to be a dong about it ..

spheric maps may have little impact with navigation
    the mechtheme is noninfluencial imo

basicly its all a matter of the gameplaymechanics ... the question is how do you like to include multiple planets ... if at all ... that could have some impact if there were isolated terrain ..
    say f.e. rochan/chickey on its own asteroid ...
    Last edited: November 23, 2014
  20. philoscience

I wonder if you could work in nanolathing mechanics to make it a bit more unique. Like give the com a limited set of static defense and buff towers they can build?