Would you consider a Wii U version of the game?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by whiterocker, March 23, 2014.

?

Would you consider a Wii U version?

1. Uber Yes!

9 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. No, are you insane?

99 vote(s)
    84.6%
  3. I don't know, looks weird

9 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

Before you tell me "An RTS game for Wii U, are you insane?!" Hear me out and read the following, it kind of make sense.
    1. RTS games are only ment to be played on a machine that has a pointer, i.e. a computer with a mouse, period!
    2. I know for fact that Uber built their very own game engine for PA, but I do also know that the development tools they are using is Unity (tell me if I'm wrong). It is, by this far, the only game-development studio that supports Windows, Mac and Linux.
    3. Wii U is Nintendos' latest console and it has a gamepad with a 6-inch touch screen and comes with a pen (i.e. a pointer) . It is a powerful machine if you use the eDRAM and the cache of the ATI graphics correctly (it can handle textures of the size of 64 MP). With other words, you have to optimize the game for that console to make it look and feel good.
    4. There are several RTS, TBS and RPG games coming to Wii U right now and is a perfect console for those type of games.
    5. Games for Wii U are built with Unity and Nintendo will help you with the dev-kit
    So imagine the following:

You are sitting in your favorite sofa or couch and playing on your 55-inch television and you are not playing by your uncomfortable keyboard and mouse (those things tend to be that as soon as they leave the table), but by a gamepad with a pointer.

So I ask you, both players and devs, would you consider a Wii U version of the game?
    I would love to pay another 45$ for this game!

The images below are concept art of how it could look like, especially the gamepad.

pac_003.jpg

The Gamepad:

pac_001.jpg
    The controls:

pa_002.jpg
    Last edited: June 22, 2014
    suspision likes this.
  2. kazzymodus

kazzymodus Active Member

Just the economic aspect will likely result in a no.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I actually think this would work quite well, the main issue though it's the cpu used on Wii u is somewhat dated and a completely different architecture to x86.

If pa comes to consoles it will probably be on the new steam machines before anything else.
  4. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I really like the Wii U as a console, but don't think it would be able to handle PA in it's fullest form. Maybe a stripped down, single/double planet version, with a cap on units, but then surely that is against the whole concept of the game?
    If anything, I would imagine Uber would go for an xbox one or ps4 version and use smartglass or vita as a controller. Although it really grinds my gears that people say those things make the Wii U obsolete, as NO ONE I know uses that functionality. Anyway, nice idea, never gonna happen.
  5. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

Dated, not really. It is a tri-core IBM PowerPC 7 and yes, it is different because it's using a RISC architecture instead of CISC (Intel and AMD). Most of the games this far is using one or two of them.

But usually when it comes to the specs of that console, it's a lot of rumors.
  6. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Why on earth would they do this when they could just develop it for NViDIA Shield and not have to redevelop for a 4th platform?
    Geers likes this.
  7. thesambasti

thesambasti Member

I admire the concept art and the thought you've put into the design of your idea, but this completely ignores the fact that there's no "WiiU button" that you can just press and suddenly make the game work on the Wii. It's not a matter of changing some art, optimizing for some weaker specs or those kinds of things, what you're suggesting is a reprogramming of the game engine on its most fundamental level!

You're insane not because PA on Wii is crazy, but because porting PA to the Wii is absolutely bonkers.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  8. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

Statement: Wii and Wii U are not the same console!

Most of the people here think I'm insane, well I have to be - I came up with this idea! :)

I know it would take a lot of work and effort to make this happen. It is just an idea and I just wanted to share it with you.
  9. cdrkf

Those power pc cores are a very old design. They're essentially a beefed up version of the core found in the n64 and game cube. Nintendo have doggedly stuck with them to ensure backwards compatibility with the Wii. Don't get me wrong, Wii u is a big step up from the Wii, but architecturally its like going back to the original Athlon 64 cpu from 2002 and building a machine around those. It was good in its day, but things have moved on a long way...
  10. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

True, but the power of Wii U lies in the eDRAM and in the ATI Radeon circuit. The CPU and the GPU (Radeon 6xxx -series) seems to be outdated, but it has broader bandwidth than the Xbox One. Read following article
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

BAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!! AAAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAAA!!!!

Oh wait you're serious....
    TheLambaster and nawrot like this.
  12. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

Yeah, sort of... I think :)
  13. cdrkf

The gpu on the Wii u isn't bad, and is by all accounts faster than the 360. Edram isn't all its cracked up to be though. It's only fast if the data set your working with fits within it. Allot of modern games have individual textures that are bigger, hence why both next gen consoles have opted for large memory pools on a wide bus (xbone and ps4 both have 256 bit memory buses, the only difference is Sony went for faster gddr5 ram giving them a noticeable advantage over ms).

Pa eats graphics memory so that could prove a problem. I still maintain however that pa is cpu intensive and I think that would be the Wii u's biggest problem running the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible, and I do think the Wii u gets allot of bad press for not being 'next gen' enough, however I do think that making pa work on it would not be a trivial task.
    drz1 likes this.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

It's name also solidified Nintendo as the biggest Fisher-Price competitor.
  15. cdrkf

Sorry for double post but the idea has me thinking.... The Wii u might not be a natural home for pa, but the tablet control interface does make sense...

I wonder if it would be possible to make a mod to dive pa from a tablet- the ui is essentially a web page after all...
  16. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Would I consider it to play? No, but I'd buy it. Then again if you can play from wii u with mouse and keyboard, why not. Should Uber consider it to make? No, for obvious reasons.

+1, although it may not be as useful as it sounds. It would be cool to have something that is basically an extension of the keyboard, which holds some UI buttons (such as the anchor buttons mod), and info like the player and system panel.
  17. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

As I mentioned before, optimization. From what a lot of studios had said, it is more powerful than they thought if you just make sure to optimize the game for it.

PA eats graphics memory on uber settings, yes. But I've been playing with a Asus Zenbook with Intel i7 dual core, 6 GB RAM and the graphic circuit is Intel 4400 HD. Sure, I can't play with uber settings, but it still works. By performance, my laptop is weaker than Wii U (just take a look at Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freze).

Thank you :)
    Well, all we need is a powerful tablet :)
    drz1 likes this.
  18. suspision

suspision Member

Sure, why not. The Wii U has plenty of power to run a decent version of PA. Everyone should be able to enjoy a game of PA. No matter what system you use.

The only valid reasons not to do it would be time and money. Both of these are being used on getting PA up and running.
    But once uber is done, give nintendo a call, and give em an offer they can't refuse. ;)
    whiterocker likes this.
  19. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

If you hook you computer to the television, you would be able to do the same thing. That would bring 100% of uberness and 100% uncomfortable as a result of having the keyboard and the mouse in your lap.

The idea of using Wii U and its gamepad was to take away the need of mouse and keyboard.
    suspision likes this.
  20. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

Absolutely, the game looks well at medium graphics (running with that on my Zenbook) and above (are running with uber settings on my Asus G74).

All this is up to Uber themself if they should bring it to one more platform after that they are done.

I'm still waiting for one of the devs to comment on this thread.