World building using trivia

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by optimi, April 22, 2014.

1. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

This is a suggestion for something that is probably low priority at this point-but bear with me for a moment.

One area I feel PA is lacking in is the universe in which it takes place. We have established the basics (the progenitors, factions etc.) but the world in which these events take place seems underdeveloped. Whilst I understand that the lore will be greatly expanded upon as development goes on, I have a few suggestions that could improve the background lore of the game.

I propose that in lobbies, at the main menu, during loading times and other screens, small pieces of information about the technology, factions and universe of PA are presented. Not obstructive or too big, merely tidbits of trivia about the game world in between games. We have had hints such things before, (such as artillery using neutronium shells) and coming up with these sorts of things could even be allocated to a community competition - coming up with ideas about the world behind the game.

Obviously this would be low priority, but a detailed world can add a lot to a game and its lore. And sorry if this seems rambling; it's 1am here and I should be asleep :p
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Low priority, yes, but I really like this idea.
  3. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

this is great.
  4. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

Yes I do really like this idea. I feel it makes the game itself more complete. The community could write up a few things for Uber to use in the game itself.
  5. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

I could totally get behind this, especially if the community can help write-in splash text candidates.

For example:
    The SXX Laser Satellite was originally intended for orbital metal extraction. After devastating use as a weapon in the Legonis Machina's Perseus Arm campaigns, it became commonly used as orbital artillery.

Commanders use matter/antimatter annihilation as a primary energy source, resulting in catastrophic detonations during core breaches.

Vanguards are armored in a shell of carbon fiber plating, with tungsten coating allowing limited resistance to its own superheated plasmathrower.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The basic tank suffers a serious flaw leading to repeated identity crises.

The teleporters were originally invented by an ancient race of humans that once travelled throughout the galaxy. They have long since ascended to a higher plane of existence and only their technology remains.

After 4000 years of total war, Zaphod still calls the dox a scamper.
  7. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

I would love some tongue in cheek "Fun Fact" humor in PA.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  8. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Quoted for awesomeness XD

DID you know:
    that the battle at the Zaphod System led to the unearthing the legendary "Beast" commander?
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

10. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Did you know there is a mod doing something similar?
  11. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Ah, excellent. I'll post in the thread about a possible lore themed version of the mod.

Edit: trialq allowed me to use the source code of his mod to possibly make my own; I am woefully unskilled at modding, however, so I will see if I can make something interesting.
    Last edited: April 22, 2014