[WIP]Custom planet : Origin

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by superouman, October 16, 2014.

1. superouman

superouman Post Master General

ORIGIN

Ladies and gentlemen,

I can't express with words how happy i am to release the first custom planet of Planetary Annihilation. To celebrate this new step of modding, i called the map : Origin. From this day, a new way to play PA has risen, creating strategies specific to the map.

Thanks to the planet editor created by Cola_Colin and his help, i was able to create this map.

How to play
    • Download Origin.zip
    • It works as a server mod, unzip the archive in C:\Users\Philippe\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\server_mods
    • Activate it in PAMM, create an online multiplayer game, load Origin with System Sharing, enjoy.
    (Check if the server mod Origin is running by looking at the bottom left of the lobby)

Note to AMD gfx card users. You need to change the lighting of terrain\sandbox.json in this mod the same way the mod Planet Lighting does. Server mods have priority over UI mods (If i understood correctly.)

Now let's talk about the planet itself. There are two fixed spawning location on opposite sides of the 500 radius planet. There is a plane of symmetry in the middle of the two players.

Two mountain chains vertically split the planet into two part. One half has a large access to the bases with a mountain pass between the two players. The other half features two smaller entrances to the bases with an open middle ground. (With a wrecked Unit Cannon prop, it can't be reclaimed)

The metal distribution is as uniform and balanced as i could do. This part is still random and I have to play with sliders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new beginning
    [​IMG]

The mountain pass
    [​IMG]

Still a pristine planet
    [​IMG]

Go my pretties, go make more beautiful maps.

I now know what I am going to do with my free time during the next years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 16, 2014
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

UI mods have priority over server mods.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Works fine. I wish Uber would implement my feature requests as to no longer have you play with sliders for tthe mex ;)
    shootall and Remy561 like this.
  5. allister

allister Active Member

Awesome! I'm super excited!!!
  6. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Exciting! Can't wait for custom maps. Was thinking about it the other day, good map design can be such a good thing for a game. It will allow for different game types and all sorts. Fantastic news.

@cola_colin, we really need to club together and buy you an enormous pizza/case of beer/bottle of scotch, or, idfk, something :D
    proeleert and squishypon3 like this.
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Impressive !!!!
  8. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Impressive; most impressive ;)
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

It looks like you need a couple extra choke points but it looks really cool - nice job.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm guessing you're going to take out Jables on this map? ;)

Long live the ant!
    wpmarshall likes this.
  11. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Wow, I really have to applaud you as in my view this represents a very significant step forward in the diversity of games possible in PA.
  12. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

Wild! great job
  13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Updated with around 75% less trees.

The last patch changed the disposition of metal, one spawn has 20, the other one has 22. The difference is unimportant as there is a lot of metal accessible everywhere.