Windows 'ding' when using ALT + key

Discussion in 'Support!' started by zaphodx, October 7, 2014.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

2. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I bet it is one of the input-helps for people with disablements. Those some switch on when you really do not need them. I look if I find any obvious option anywhere.

Edit:
    Missread your question. What you described there does not happen with the default instalaltion of PA, PTE version (just checked). Neither in full screen nor windowed mode.
    The technique described in the link is only for programmers who plan the use the Alt key for a custom menu (rather then the API provided menu that 95% of all windows proramms use).
    The game does not have any windows menu, so Windows should ignore alt.

That leaves only 3rd party software as the culptript. It is quite possible to intercept/notice key presses even when your programm does not have Keyboard/Mouse Focus and is not the OS. Any 3rd party software that has to be able to react to keypresses even when PA has the Focus?
    Last edited: October 7, 2014
    FSN1977 likes this.
  3. mishtakashi

mishtakashi Active Member

This also occurs in windows 8.1, I've taken to muting my system sounds in the volume mixer panel.

Edit: I was running in windowed mode
    Last edited: October 10, 2014
  4. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

I am only able to reproduce the problem when running in windowed mode. I am aware of the problem, but I don't know how to fix it yet.
    zaphodx likes this.
  5. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

LowLevelKeyboardProc?
  6. fredegar1

fredegar1 Member

Ah, it seems you've found the machine that goes "ding"!
  7. darktactics

darktactics Member

isn't it sticky keys? Its a built in function as part of the accesibility suite. type sticky keys into start menu, choose the first in the list, 'change how your keyboard works'. Turn sticky keys off.

The PC will ding everytime sticky keys thinks you are pressing a designated button too many times.

At least I know this behaviour happens when sticky keys is on and you press the shift key too many times.

It will also 'ding' if it thinks you want sticky keys to be turned on because you pressed a designated button too many times.

Might be this. Give it a try by completely disabling stick keys and also the sticky keys notification warning.

If its another function in windows there should be a settings page for it. Maybe look in god mode for windows. Create a new folder on desktop and name it "God Mode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" without the quotation marks. If there is a settings panel for it, it will be in there somewhere.
  8. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

9. teddythebear

teddythebear Member