Windows 9 ... is Windows 10

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Raevn, October 1, 2014.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

And it's gonna be a free upgrade. Maybe people will FINALLY stop using Windows XP.

*sigh* A guy can dream right?
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That's only a rumour I believe, it wasn't confirmed at the event or on Microsoft's site as far as I can see .

If you've got a source though please share - that would be awesome!
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I wish I had a source. I saw it on reddit somewhere. Didn't click on the link, so maybe it was a rumor.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Still has the disgusting Metro theme. I'll stick with 7 for now.
  6. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Holy ****, I want it now.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Please tell me that the waste of space (AKA the start button) is optional. Excuse me but I prefer to not waste space with extra buttons where none are needed. The reason I still use Windows 8 rather than 8.1.
  8. Geers

BLASPHEMER!
    aevs, websterx01, squishypon3 and 2 others like this.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The only problem with the start button in Windows 8 was that it would go away before you were done rolling off of it. It's just as easy to move the mouse to the corner and click as it is to move the mouse to 30 pixels away from the corner and click. You're probably going to end up using the start key 80% of the time anyway. The start button wasting space is completely pointless.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

A) You always have win8. B) Your opinion is the vast minority. C) Its ALWAYS optional, people were mounting start bars to Win8.0 also.
  11. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I haven't used Windows 8 so I can't really give an opinion on its start button, but a proper start button for me is pretty important.
    Almost as much as is multiple desktops.

Windows 10 sounds like it's gonna be great.
    mered4 likes this.
  12. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

8.1 has been perfect for me. 10 appears to be a solid iterative improvement on it. Especially since I decided no more Mac book when I upgraded this time at hone and went for the MSI GS60. 3k screen and dang light and screamingly fast. I gave OS X 3 years to win me over. But happily back in windows at home.
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Design-wise, having "hidden" buttons, such as corner or edge actions with no visible indicator, is just plain bad. For smaller devices where space is a premium, it's a little more forgivable, but also very easy to work around - Windows Phone 7/8 does this particularly well with it's standard UI.
    A small start button lets people know that the corner does something, and it's not like having one extra icon on the taskbar is life-or-death (as far as OS features go).

A big gripe many people seemed to have (include me), was with the start screen replacing the start menu (and more specifically, because it's full-screen). What's your experience of this been?

Edit: I only have Windows 8 installed on a Media Center, so while I've used it, I haven't power used it/used it as a primary machine.
    Remy561 likes this.
  14. Geers

Something I really find annoying is that the shutdown options are under settings. Just... Why there!?
  15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Looks like MS is sticking true to form, getting it right every other iteration. 95 rubbish, 98 fixes. ME/2000 rubbish, XP fixes. Vista ... yeah, 7 fixes. 8 was crap until they patched it, 10 looks like it'll fix.
    nobrains and Raevn like this.
  16. Geers

I'm rather concerned about this "One OS to rule them all" mentality. I'd much rather they made separate OSs for mobiles and computers because otherwise we'll end up with the Windows 8 problem of "Why is there a tablet OS on my desktop?". Every time I look at Windows 8 I can't help thinking about dodgy mobile ports.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  17. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You can get rid of every taskbar widget and start menu in the options. Stop whining.
    *waste space*
    Yes, those precious pixels. Make it auto-hide if you are that desperate.

I feel ya. It just feels weird. I mean, sure, it makes things "easier" cross-platform, in that you can give all the same commands - but there isn't an ALT+TAB on a smartphone.
    Just like we predicted when 8.1 came out. :D
    I was actually loving Win8 until someone ruined it by telling me how awful it was. Normally I wouldn't take some random person's word for it, but this particular guy was my boss at the time in IT, so I was just.....very.....passive about it after that. :D

I don't see any issues with it - I haven't had any issues with Windows since the 8.1 update fixed all the bugs I had previously fixed or attempted to fix. People keep telling me how awful it is - and I usually try to nod - and attempt to not rant at them for not trying it out themselves.

Whoa. Random Text Wall. MOAR!
    It's disgusting? It's clean and professional. I like not having weird swirly colors. Am I the only one?
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

They changed this in 8.1, it's now also next to the logoff on the start screen. In 8, the first time I used the preview, I had to google how to shut the damn thing down.
    Geers likes this.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah moving the mouse to the corner is super easy when you're using 3x 1080p screens and that tiny start button really fills up so much space.... not.
    Also I do start PA in all it's version via it, as well as many other things I regularly use.
    Yes I could put shortcuts onto the desktop as well, but that would hide my wallpapers and waste space on my desktop.
    The start menu is THE place where I put often used shortcuts.

But let's hope 10 will be a good system, 7 is getting old and at some point I guess it will start to be an issue to use it. By that time it needs a valid replacement.
    reptarking likes this.
  20. Geers

Don't know what you mean by swirly colours but I really like the Aero aesthetic because it looks modern and futuristic almost, it looks like the sort of thing you expect to see. The Metro theme is all flat colours and rectangles, it's screaming "LOOK AT ME I'M USER FRIENDLY! LOOK AT THESE GIANT SQUARES YOU CAN TOUCH! oh wait you have a desktop nvrmndkthxbi".
    mered4 and cola_colin like this.