Windows 8 and missing d3dx9_xx.dll files

Discussion in 'Support!' started by noobonian, October 26, 2013.

1. noobonian

noobonian New Member

I got a new computer with Windows 8. I installed PA and tried it out. I got:
    “The program can’t start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer…”
    I searched around the internet. I updated Windows. I verified I have Direct x 11 and still had issues. I was going to uninstall and reinstall direct x, but oddly I am having trouble in finding a way to do that. (whenever I go to update direct x I am told there is no need to). Microsoft doesn't seems to have a way to download directx and over write an existing version.

I also searched here and found a thread. Some ideas were posted and I tried without success. The post never reported whether he failed or just gave up.

I can use help in one of two ways:
    1. Anyone else had DLL file issues with PA and what did you do to fix it?
    2. Anyone know a way to uninstall / reinstall OR a (RELIABLE) link to install direct X over my existing.
    Thanks for any help.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

https://forums.uberent.com/search/88994/?q=d3dx9&o=date&c[node]=71

wait for your post to be moved to alpha forum

Upload a Dxdiag.txt to your next reply so I can help you further.
    to do this hit ÿ
    then "dxdiag",
    let the program run, allow the progress bar to finish
    hit "Save All Information..."
    upload it as a .txt attachment. DON'T paste it
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You can easily fix this error this way:
    1. Download directx_Jun2010_redist.exe from here:
      http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    2. Run it and unpack it to accessible place.
    3. Open directory where it's extracted, find and run DXSETUP.exe
  4. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

When I got my new Win8 computer I actually had to copy all of the missing files like that from my old one onto the new one. It was really boring, but easy. I just used a flash drive to transfer the files. Worked like a charm and still works though. =)
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's wrong way to do thing. Please do not recommend it to anyone.

If you copy D3D DLLs they won't be registered in system, it's mean applications still won't able to use them, but any D3D installer will fail to replace them.

I already know multiple persons who tried to "fix" this error this way. :D:D:D
  6. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Except it fixed the problem? I haven't had any DLL issues since that fix. that's even what I was told to do as a faster way to fix it than downloading new ones when I called customer support.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Trust me there is many different DLLs in Windows. When you copy them like that you can easily break your system completely.
    Minimum damage you can do you'll break Windows update mechanisms because Microsoft installers it's usually not replace user-modified files.

If something like that worked for you it's fine, but it's not fix for every issue which looks like your.
    So please do not recommend it to other people because there is always proper way to fix their issues.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dude you really shouldn't be doing it that way and any old chap can be employed for customer support, its fine if they've never opened a computer in their life.
  9. noobonian

noobonian New Member

SXX recommendation worked. Thanks all

(not sure why but it wouldn't let me post with quotes. Something about links)